First Father & Kids Tank - 20 High - 5/23/14 update! Ich Death recovery! - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-21-2013, 04:17 AM   #91
sarazorz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

True, kids can learn quite a lot about the world from a tank. Ecology, Biology, and the birds and the bees too. Great tools for educating! Maybe you'll have some little scientists on your hands soon.
Nikon Pimp Club #102
Is there a "Hard Water Club"?
sarazorz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #92
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Ayep! My son is in charge of the water tests now - Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, and I'll start him on Phosphate ("That's to feed the plants!") - my daughter is the Fish Counter - sometimes I doubt all six Emperor Tetra are still there, until it's feeding time! She counts them up, and bingo. I think those guys are pretty comfortable in the tank now, since they don't school together much anymore. But the Cardinal, down to 3, all huddle up still since they're the new kids. I feel bad for them since you should have 6 to feel comfortable, but since 3 died and the Emperors show no signs of being schooling buddies, all they've got is each other *cry* I have no doubt that the stress of a new tank brought out that neon tetra disease on two of them - hopefully they'll regain health and color as they settle in a bit, like the Emperors have. I am debating getting three more Cardinals and trying to keep it at school level - maybe even 6 for 9 cardinal total and hope that 6 eventually stick around, like the Emperors did. Yeah, the pessimistic approach.

The Platy and Pleco on the other hand are having a grand ol' time. I guess it's nice to be the biggest fish (bullies) in the tank, and have a whole area to yourself (Pleco shares the bottom with the ninja shrimp, although I did catch it slurping on Ludwigia leaves last night, hilariously trying not to fall off those skinny leaves!).

By the way, the CO2 and new lights and ferts are definitely working on the Ludwigia. Those things have taken off! All of them have already reached the surface, while before I think only 2 of 10 have. Some have even sprouted roots on the stem nodes, meaning they're ready for a clip and re-plant. I'll do that in another week or two, I probably have two more spots in the tank that can do with another forest. Plus, I noticed that the top of the leaves are starting to regain their red color, and the brand new shoots are half red already. Even the red cabomba is regaining some red where the new growth is, and the roots are coming in nicely from the cut stem plantings.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...rchMode=simple

Well I feel bad for the Cardinal, but according to this calculator, I'd be maxxing past what's good for the tank if I add 6 more Cardinals. So we just have to hope that the Cardinal and Emperor eventually find solace in each other, and the Cardinal don't stress out too much. Gonna stick with my "no new fauna" promise for now! Those Platy really are active and add lots of bioload, so I get why they kinda dictate what's going on with the smaller fish.

Last edited by Jahn; 05-21-2013 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: More cardinals?
Jahn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #93
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I decided not to give up on the cardinal just yet. Time to restock some cardinal pals at pacific again! I'm sure the kids will be happy and hoping round 2 goes better! This will be the last shot for these sensitive fish, though.

Whoa all cardinal gone! Only had four neon left so I got those. Here's hoping this calms the poor tetra down!

Last edited by Jahn; 05-21-2013 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: Neon
Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #94
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well the four neons actually ended up being 3 neon and one cardinal. Making 3 cardinal, 3 neon, because another cardinal was dead when I got home, leaving 2 original. No time to spare to save the school! A glass Petri dish came for feeding so even though the fish never showed interest in an algae water before, I put one in the dish before introducing the four new tetra as a distraction.

Totally wasn't ready for the response- a three hour feeding frenzy, including all four new fish! So much for shyness! I took the rest of the wafer out once even the Pleco was done- half a wafer left. I caught some of it on video, ill share that when I have time to upload it. After the lights turned off, I saw all six neon/cardinal school around. What a friendly sight!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #95
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is the vid!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #96
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's a pic of them all hanging out together - once in a while a few Emperor will too, but they're not really dedicated to the school like the others are. Also once in a while the two smallest Cardinal, the original two left, will pair off and wander somewhere apart from the rest, but for the most part they seem to get along with the new four bigger Tetra added last night. And those four? Seem very comfortable already! But the Emperor still act the most comfortable still - the Platy, who knows, they're goofballs. The pleco still hasn't investigated its cave as far as I've seen, haha.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #97
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Snail update - after the Levamisole killed off most of the snails, including a really pretty gold ramshorn which was a shame - I thought only the big ugly pond snails lived on (got rid of as many of those I could, don't see them anymore, at least not the adults).

However, I noticed two baby ramshorns growing pretty quickly that survived, one with a red foot and blue shell that should look very nice. Also, somehow a fairly big MTS also survived - it popped up out of the substrate and started cleaning the glass after lights out (ugly shell but hey pickers can't be choosers).
Old 05-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #98
Doc7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default First Father&Kids Tank - 20 High - New Video 5/21/13!

Sounds like your tank is growing nicely
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
Doc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #99
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Doc! And the crazy thing is - do you know what the best cleaning crew I have right now is? The Platy! They always act like they are starving, they pick all the algae off anything they can find it on - and one blyxa leaf was melted, I saw a Platy grab it and snip it off without moving the plant! What?! Thanks for manicuring the lawn, Mickey!

There was one leaf though that had some pretty resistant diatoms though - giving it a Prime/Excel bath and using a Magic Eraser to take it off the leaf was quick and easy!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #100
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I swore only 2 shrimp were left but I just spotted a third. Amazing- where do they hide? So maybe all ten are still around and just really really good hiders.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #101
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sadly the last two original cardinals died, I think of columnaris slowing them down and the othe fish harassing them to death. In fact this morning I caught a platy finishing the last off- bully! Man I am so tempted to return those dumb fish but I guess it's not their fault that the cardinal got sick enough to be caught with a fin nip.

During this whole week of cardinal death, no emperor tetra losses at all. Maybe the more colorful cardinal gave distraction to the platy who otherwise would have nipped the Emperors? Maybe I should return those platy after all.

Edit - yep gonna return them to Pacific. well at least the 4 neon tetra seem to be doing ok so far- the 4 neons from Pacific look bigger, more adult so that might help. i still think one of those neons is actually a Cardinal, but I'm going to call them all Neons so as not to remind the kids of those original 6.

A few of the wisteria leaves are browning and curling - don't think it's a nitrate deficiency, i still read 5ppm on average. maybe a phosphate thing? but i've started dosing dry ferts, hopefully it'll catch up. in the meantime I'll snip the effected leaves off when i get home - the new shoots seem plenty green and happy.

the ludwigia is really shooting up. nodes growing roots. ordered more plant anchors for when i snip and bunch and plant those ludwigia tops. the new green cabomba i got from a ROAK is doing far better than the first bunch i got from Win - these are already almost hitting the top of the surface of the water in only a few days!

Last edited by Jahn; 05-23-2013 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Goofy Platy
Old 05-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #102
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.p...rchMode=simple

So that's the idea for a post-platy world. Which still leaves room for maybe a calmer non-jumbo platy in the future, haha.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #103
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ever try getting 3 hyper platy out of a heavily planted tank? Lets just say its time for a rescape since a third of the plants are now floaters! To the very end, these platy are trouble!

Anyhow, back to pacific they go!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #104
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

3 Platy returned, 3 Blue Velvet shrimp added as I used the store credit right away, no muss no fuss. Did the algae wafer trick again to distract the tetra from the new additions. So, the tank is ready for the CPD incoming next week!

I convinced the kids on the Danio by playing them a YouTube vid with them set to techno music- now they are jazzed, haha!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #105
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I got home from a 3-day vacation, fish are all fine but I found out why - caught an emperor tetra with a SHRIMP HEAD in its mouth! Curse you, shrimp eaters!!!!

Water change, Actually saw a bit of nitrite yikes, so that should take care of it. MM looks browned out as does the java moss and val that I treated for BBA, uh oh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.