First Father & Kids Tank - 20 High - 5/23/14 update! Ich Death recovery! - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #61
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

BTW since I've been doing water changes almost every freaking day with prime, the ammonia has been a little under .25 all the time, versus 0 before i did my first water change after fishless cycling was done. wondered why, until I read this:

"If you have chlorimine in your tap water prime converts/binds it into a less toxic form of ammo that the bacteria can still use, so it's not uncommon to see it up to 48hrs after a PWC using Prime."

Thus, now that WC can slow down a bit, I should expect to see the ammonia levels go down to 0 in about 2 days I hope. I'm just glad API is reading bound ammonia, not the type that would hurt the fauna.

I'll take the carbon filter out today too, and put a 2nd sponge in. The Levamisole should be all filtered out by now, especially after that one big water change, and none of the fish look sleepy from any Levamisole doping.
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #62
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No. Freaking. Way. GHOSTY LIVES!!! In fact when we fed the fish, Ghosty shot up like a bat out of hell and snatched a ton of food - I swear, with less fin back there, I think he's leaner and meaner in the water!

BTW a bunch of foreground plants came today:

20x nodes of Marselea Minutea
5x Blyxa Japonica
2x Lobelia Cardinalis 'Dwarf'
2x flame moss golfballs, one christmas moss golfball (to put on cholla wood that's incoming)

I had to use big pebbles to keep the MM from floating away, haha!

BTW, sad note, I didn't notice that my Green Cabomba worked loose from my original bad shallow planting, so they melted. I bought lead plant anchors to replant them, but it already may be too late. Just in case I anchored some of the wisteria and ludwigia - don't want to lose those too!

BTW about an hour after planting, I saw a few tetra slaloming down the new foreground at high speed - not in a straight line but zigzagging amongst the flora. Cute! Oh, and the Platy are getting more used to the tank too, one guy seems to like doing loop-de-loops through the Ludwigia.

Last edited by Jahn; 05-14-2013 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Tetra
Old 05-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #63
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just before bed, did a fauna count- found that big berried shrimp, Pleco is nocturnal so he is slurping on the glass like mad, two tetra still roaming the rest tucked away somewhere, two platy still jockeying for tank spots with the third happy to just swim through stalks. Saw a baby snail and a big fat ugly one. I guess the tank is settling in now, and hey even the bacterial bloom has calmed down.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #64
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Speaking of bloom, the petrified wood right behind the marimo ball acts as the wall for the current flow, and as a result any uneaten food or dead leaves tend to gather at its base. As you can imagine, once a week now I'll see a buildup of white fungus/algae or something gathering on that petrified wood. Yuck. Last week I just took it out and scrubbed it all off, but now I see it coming back again.

I think I'll take it out, crack off the part that's fungused up and toss it, and instead of making it a sheer wall, kinda make a flow-fence idea there - maybe instead of using the 3 cholla wood incoming as a lateral fence from pagoda to bridge, i'll stack them 3 high there and attached the moss to them. That might work nicely as a place where detrius lands, plus a place that attracts shrimp and pleco to gnosh.

Of course, I did just add a bunch of foreground plants (kids helped with choosing where they went, son poked holes in the substrate with his finger) and 4 new fish, so the tank might be a bit out of balance, letting the white stuff find purchase again on whatever. Water reads stable though. Maybe I'll just scrub again and hope the second time's the charm. Daughter likes scrubbing slime off petrified wood for some reason so this will give her something to do.

Last edited by Jahn; 05-14-2013 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: White algae or fungus?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 AM   #65
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got home, did the logistics, and it's doable - pleco cave facing forward with cholla roof. Took that white algae petrified wood out, my wife is going to use it for th garden outside. All 6 Emperor Tetras still kicking, 6 Cardinal Tetra joined them today - schooling quorum! Well, right now they aren't mixing but when they calm down they'll spread out a bit I'm sure. Strangely, 5 of the Cardinals grouped up and swam in front, but the 6th poofed almost instantly and I haven't seen him all night. Maybe tomorrow's feeding will coax him out.

The CO2 canister came today, definitely too tall to fit under the table, so I'll stash in the corner after filling it up on the way to work tomorrow.

The Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ came today too, and it's really awesome! The orange with high white combo is like NOON and freaked the poor fish out, so I quickly switched to a moonlight setting and oh boy too goth blue and dark! so i futzed with the custom adjustments and got a great low light setting that let the colors pop and be rich - I saved it as my "M1" for the evenings. Installing it was super easy with the deluxe Aqueon hood - lift the aqueon light off, put the Current on, done! The deluxe hood has a glass top right under the Current, so it's protected and I feel fine about having it so low to the top of the tank.

Last edited by Jahn; 05-15-2013 at 02:23 AM.. Reason: LED
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #66
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I think we need pictures with the new light setup!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #67
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You got it, ill take pics when I get home- and maybe the CO2 regulator will be here today too so I can take a pic of the whole rig! Edit - just got word that the CO2 regulator is indeed here! So I'll set the whole thing up then take pics!

Btw still only counting 5 cardinals and I searched hard. Where the heck did that sixth one go?

Maybe it's hiding with all the shrimp. I did see a shrimp this morning though, so they're out and about now that the new Tetra have settled in.

Last edited by Jahn; 05-15-2013 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Tetra
Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #68
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I found this handy page on the 'net, thought I would share:

AqAdvisor - how much Fauna can your tank hold?

That's my current fauna load - I guess we're a bit over, so no Oto like I was considering, but what's in there right now are all junior sized and we will sadly probably lose a few before they all become adults. No more fauna buying for now though! I do think the fact that the tank is a Planted one might help out a bit with this bioload though, who knows. At least that much fauna means the plants get some natural fert, haha - and no gravel vac needed from me!
Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #69
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As promised, the pics! Big thanks to Bettatail who shipped a perfect rig for pressurized CO2. If the tank wasn't in the living room I'd display it loud and proud. As it is, I ninja'd it. Can you guess where the 5lb tank and regulator are?

Yep, behind the guitar! Pretty sneaky, eh?

From the side you might see it...except for the fact that I put a mic stand on that side, haha! The pop filter hides the back of the regulator, here's a shot where I can peek at the bubble counter:

Here's the Current LED. Look at how low a profile it is on the Aqueon Deluxe hood!

The full spectrum light is very bright, but for the evening I like this orange/white mix - you dial down the white until it's almost moonlight setting but still lets the tetra stripes pop and the shadows become sharp:

Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #70
tizzite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

It'd have been nice to have a dad that was into tanks hahaha.

Setup looks great. I ordered that light too. Super jealous of your CO2 rig. I'm looking for a nice one, but money's a factor so endless vigilance on ebay for me...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #71
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

The tank looks great! Love the petrified rock.
Very nice stealth setup, and "Starry Night" guitar.

The light looks great as well. It will be interesting to see how your plants respond.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #72
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! That's my son's guitar, and he loves the Cardinal Tetra (but have only seen 5 out of the 6 since 1 second into introducing them into the tank, it makes us question our sanity, did we really put 6 in?). My daughter thinks the bubbles from the CO2 diffuser are cool and wants them coming from a toy volcano, haha. This will be the first full day of co2 with Current LED and a Flourish dose so here's hoping!

Btw the water is super clear right now. May be because I removed that one petrified wood that could't keep the white algae off? Anyhow, much better now!

Last edited by Jahn; 05-16-2013 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Wood
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #73
Doc7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Tank looks sweet. Is the ludwigia growing for you?

Although it grows green for me with a red under-leaf (as it was when I shipped it to you), when I first bought it it was a rich red color, so it may do that for you under certain lighting conditions. I'm not sure what the previous owner had it under, light wise or growing it in air instead of under water. That was over 2 years ago and I grow them constantly from the 3 baby trimmings I started with.
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
Doc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #74
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi! Yep the Ludwigia is hanging in there, but I bet it will take off with the new light, co2 and fert I'm setting up. If it goes all red that would be awesome!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #75
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

High five to my son, who handled the tank while I was at work today - unpacked the Red Root Floaters and floated them - insisting to float them one by one by hand, haha. However, just like with the poor giant duckweed, they floated towards the fluval waterfall of a filter and got pushed down underwater, getting trapped in the branches of the underwater plants. Eventually that killed off the duckweed, so I was determined not to lose the red root floaters the same way. taking two suction cups with inline tubing holders, and a small loop of inline tube, I fashioned a hoop around where the fluval poured water back into the tank - anchored to the glass via the suction cups. Bingo, the red root floaters quickly made a beeline to the hoop, but since the outflow was fenced off, none got through to get dunked. Success! I'll take a pic of it tomorrow, I'm beat.

three cholla wood came to replace the one petrified wood cliff - I superglued fire and christmas moss to them and angled them near the bridge, behind the marimo ball. Lookin' good, and will look better when it's all grown out I bet!

Melafix came today, which is good because the poor platy with the bloody fin now has a very nipped rear fin, ugh. Poor guy. Hope the melafix helps soothe that a bit, and also the emperor tetra with nipped rear fins. Someone out there is a fin nipper...

So that's it for now! I actually would take a pic, but the LED is on the same timer outlet as the CO2, so lights out at 10pm. Midnight here, time to sleep!