First Father & Kids Tank - 20 High - 5/23/14 update! Ich Death recovery! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #46
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Tetras will likely feast on the baby shrimp.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #47
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

You're right. Buying cholla wood now and gonna source some moss to put over it as some cover for them when they come, but yeah more likely they will get gobbled.

It's possible the tinier juvies were already gobbled, but I have a lot of cover in the back, they may pop out like the males did today.

Source of worms? The store tank, worms already in the tetra when I bought them. I'd return them but the store is closing and my tank is already infected, might as well treat as well as I can and prep the tank for healthier fish too.

Btw fish still pooping out dead blue worms even though the last med feeding was this morn. Go Levamisole, go!

Last edited by Jahn; 05-10-2013 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: Update
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #48
DCLyle
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default First Father-Son (and soon Daughter) Planted Tank - 20 High - Petrified Wood is

Will colla wood lower your PH jahn? I am going for African cichlids and they like a high PH
DCLyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #49
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Cholla wood hasn't done anything to the pH in my tanks and I have 3 pieces in there. It just provides a good source for biofilm and being hollow shrimp and hide inside them. Not really hide well since the cholla is full of holes, but it would offer protection from fish since the holes are too small for fish to get into. Most fish anyways.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #50
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well the petrified wood could possibly be raising my pH a bit, before the petrified wood it was 6.8, now it's 7ish. So if the cholla does lower it a bit, heck, that'll just bring it back to where it was. All of that is in a safe range for my tetra and shrimp tho, but I'll speak to the pH when the Cholla comes for sure - who knows, it may be a factor depending on how much stuff's in the 3 pieces I'm getting?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #51
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Levamisole treatment all done, popped in a activated carbon filter to get the med out of the water, and did a big WC change. If everything's cool, cool.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #52
DCLyle
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default First Father-Son (and soon Daughter) Planted Tank - 20 High - Petrified Wood is

Yay.. Happy for you guys!
DCLyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #53
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

spoke too soon, after the WC i did a tetra head count - found one dead guy that wedged itself in the back right corner, back fin was gone? strangely enough the one i thought would bite it next, the one missing a right eye and has a cloudy mottled looking color to the body, is very sprightly and has just as good an appetite as the rest. So we're down to 7 tetra. Sigh. Big fat snail moving around, saw 2 tiny ones too, so the Levamisole didn't do it in. the berried shrimp staked out a place behind the pagoda with a dead green cabomba as cover, and a few juvie males are running around.

All in all, big crisis over with I believe, though I'll feel Levamisole flakes for 2 days next week too. Tomorrow I'll take the kids to Pacific to look at one particular Jumbo Red Mickey Mouse Platy (I know they should school in threes minimum but I don't want to move too quick with adds) for now, although the tank could definitely harbor 3 more fish as far as the nitro cycle is concerned.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #54
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Woke up, all tetra alive, success! Even the one-eyed sloudy looking one, which my son has appropriately named "ghosty" - he's just as active as the rest of them.

So it's not a big deal yet, but algae does build up a bit on the glass to where you can see a bit of haze and feel slime. Time for one BN Pleco! So off to Pacific we go - one Jumbo Platy, one BN Pleco, and that's it until the cycle catches up. If it cycles well, later maybe we'll get a few normal sized platys to keep the jumbo guy company. I hear Plecos poop a lot, so hey, more nutrients for the plants. definitely when the foreground plants come, no more gravel vac for me.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #55
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well 3 mickey mouse jumbo red Platys are in the tank, and an Albino Longtail BN Pleco! The pleco has a bit of fin tatter here and there, but nothing fungal related I think, I'll keep an eye out. I noticed that three of the tetra have fins that look nipped prior to introducing the new fish (including Ghosty - man, that tetra is just a hardluck trooper!), so here's hoping the bigger Platys will cow whoever the fin nipper is!

DARN just found one of the biggest reddest shrimp dead, wedged between the glass and a petrified wood, it must have slipped down in there and couldn't back out! Down to ten (unconfirmed) shrimp.

For happier news, here are pics of 2 of the 3 platys, and 2 pics of the one pleco!

Last edited by Jahn; 05-11-2013 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Shrimp
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 PM   #56
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I thought I was doing it wrong as far as the algae wafer was concerned, just dropping it in. But after a while a few curious tetra picked at it, the Platy picked at the pickings, and once a nuisance snail started crawling towards it, the Pleco (the intended eater) finally took note and nom-nommed on it a bit.

After it looked like it lost interest, I took the wafer out. Hmm, next time I won't put so much of the wafer in, seems like a waste.

Last edited by Jahn; 05-12-2013 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: Wafer
Old 05-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #57
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I knew it would happen. My son was the first to find a floater - down to six tetra now. This one was one of the three with the nipped fins, you could tell it had no rear tail by the end, may have died from stress.

Amazingly, it wasn't Ghosty.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #58
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gotta remember to just put an eighth of a wafer in for the Pleco, he definitely doesn't chew in the wafer much at all. However he adores the Ludwigia Repens x Arcuata, uh oh!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #59
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh oh - saw 5 Tetra schooling today, Ghosty not among them. Searched the sides and back, can't find him. No time before work to really shake the bushes, but I fear the worst. Poor guy, last night he only had a stump for a rear tail, he's really been harassed.

Good news though, is that the Platy, even though they are bonking each other for territory right now, are leaving the Tetra and shrimp and Pleco alone - spotted the Pleco this morn sucking on some petrified wood, and spotted two shrimp, one which is the berried one.

Last edited by Jahn; 05-13-2013 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Platy update
Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #60
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well the poor BN Pleco has nowhere to hide during the day - right now he hides under a big amazon sword leaf. Therefore, a triangle shaped Pleco cave is incoming from PNT Aquatics, with a 1.5" entrance, about 5-6" long.

Problem is, where to put it? No room behind the petrified wood since all the background plants are already like a forest there. No room in the foreground since that's where the cholla fence and new foreground plants will be. My current idea is to maybe bury it underneath the little light gravel sidewalk i have running in front of the petrified wood, lengthwise, and having the entrance pop up under the petrified wood bridge opening up to the Marimo Ball courtyard.

So that would be this view, but instead of seeing the path under the triangle bridge, you'd see the opening to the Pleco cave: