First Father & Kids Tank - 20 High - 5/23/14 update! Ich Death recovery! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #31
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Oh yeah! Between the water wisteria and the floating duckweed, the nitrates went from 20ppm to 5ppm - the only reason I did a water change yesterday was to do a gravel vac for dead worms, yuck! Well at least they're dead worms, not live red ones anymore. But still, just in case, can't wait for the Levamisole to get here! The fish are on day two of a fast to help with constipation, if the medicated flakes aren't here by tomorrow I'll feed them boiled peas to speed the expelling of worms along.

Water is less cloudy today with heterotrophs, since yesterday the curved scissors and angled tweezers came in - I manicured everything and plucked all the dead stuff and algae-laden stuff out of the tank. The funny thing is that the tweezers are fine for placing shallow rooted plants, but I feel like I'm smashing the thicker longer stemmed plants when planting deeper into the substrate in the back of the tank - plus, I lose "feel" haha. So for those I still plant with my fingers. One wisteria had a runner with plenty of roots waiting to hit soil, so I snipped that and planted it as a solo this morning. BTW that HC lawn really needed a mowdown - I discovered two more dwarf swords hiding in that matted mess after clearing it out!

Fauna count - snails still hanging in there, I saw a few shrimp still around (still have no idea where 8 of the male shrimp are still since day one, hah) and all ten of the tetra are still with us. One tetra however is very aggressive, and struggling to swim constantly and sinking tail down all the time, even when all the other fish are hovering asleep. I'm thinking this latest bout with worms damaged something internally, so sad. He's still eating though, which is good, but I'm not sure that he'll recover.
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #32
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One tetra didn't make it today, the swim bladder problem guy. I made sure to scoop him out when my kids were asleep. I fed the rest some frozen peas, thawed out de-shelled and smashed up into edible bits - they all had a good appetite for those. I'm hoping whatever they can get rid of will start moving out before the medicine comes tomorrow. Can't get here soon enough for me!

BTW no need for a water change today, the nitrates were almost zilch - that water wisteria is really amazing! If anything, after the worms are all gone, I need to put some more fauna in the tank to produce enough ammonia to keep the cycle pumping. No way I'm putting anything else into the tank before the worms are definitely gone for at least two more weeks.

Well on a happier note, the fish have gone to bed, and the shrimp are now roaming - those same three females - man, those other 8 might be dead or something! Maybe in a month when they are bigger they'll all pop out. Anyhow the shrimp aren't going for the leftover peas yet, but they'll stumble on them soon I'm sure. The flora carpet behind it shows some green algae, after this pic I manicured out as much as I could. Here's a pic before lights out!

Haha just noticed two leaves of Echinodorus tennelus apparently survived my culling of the parent plants due to BBA, and here they are popping up out of the gravel. Nature finds a way! The sprig to the left just floating and hanging by a root has that green algae fuzz all over it, I plucked that out of the tank after the pic.

Last edited by Jahn; 05-08-2013 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: Shrimp pic
Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 AM   #33
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
Thanks! Yep the ten tetras are happily schooling around! I intentionally asked for juvie shrimp so they'd grow up used to this tank, but yeah I hope the tetra don't develop a taste for them before the shrimp molt up a few sizes! Actually the biggest shrimp female is pretty bold, just walks out there into the open and eyeballs curious tetras (who thankfully don't nip at her).

My son's having so much fun with the tank, that my daughter wants to get in on the action - in a few weeks we'll head to Pacific and let her choose a few Mickey Mouse platys, and then that should be it as far as fauna in the tank - a 20H shouldn't hold much more than that, right?

Oh, and I forgot, if the pH is too high and the water starts getting hard because of the petrified wood, I can always up the CO2 booster since right now I'm only putting in half the suggested daily dosage.

Oh, and just in case I forgot, the little gal left this message for me on our "to do" board this morning:

I recall about 15 years ago, my kids wanted those mickey mouse platys as well. We also had white platys with black spots that were called (at the time) dalmation platys. I had forgotten those fish until I saw your little girl's message. Come to think of it, I don't see those dalmation platys anymore. Or maybe they're calling them panda platys now!
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 AM   #34
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha yeah she's still bugging me about them! But it's hard to say something like "not until the parasitical worms are gone for good, kiddo!" we saw some dalmation platys at petsmart, but no way am i getting fish from there.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #35
handlebar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've had 0% death rate from my Petsmart with my Bolivian Rams, Ottos, Pleco, Shrimp & Danios. Maybe yours is different.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #36
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
I've had 0% death rate from my Petsmart with my Bolivian Rams, Ottos, Pleco, Shrimp & Danios. Maybe yours is different.
I've just heard horror stories from big box store purchases, but good to know there's an alternative experience. Actually, my tetra were from a LFS closing up, so score one for Petsmart, 0 for LFS so far then, haha. Darn worms. But the Levamisole came today! I'll start the meds when I get home tonight.

Oh and the shrimp were from craigslist, a private breeder, and those lil fellas are still doing fine (although 8 are still AWOL!).
Old 05-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #37
BarbH
Planted Member

Default Re: First Father-Son (and soon Daughter) Planted Tank - 20 High - Petrified Wood is h

Good to hear that you are having success in getting rid of the anchor worms. As for the box chain stores I find that it depends on the store. The petsmart near me always seems to have healthy fish, while the pet supplies plus lately seems to always have something going on in their tanks. Any place that I go to when buying fish I always check out all of their tanks to see if the fish are healthy. If one tank has sick fish I will skip on buying fish from them. Especially at the box stores since most of them run their tanks on one filtration system. If one tank is showing illness I automatically assume that the rest of the tanks have been exposed and may also be ill even if they look fine. So far my experience with the lfs has been great. The place that I go to runs their tanks on individual filtration for each tank. Again I still check all the tanks. From talking to the owner I do know that he tries to make sure to bring in healthy fish, and if a known source seems to always have issues that he stays away from that.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #38
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good to know - the Petsmart I went to had a belly up fish floating in the tank, so i took that as a sign and just window shopped with the kids instead.

Just finished ordering up everything needed for that pressurized CO2 system, when the tank comes I'll go fill it up then i'm good to go. Also ordered that Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus lamp for 24-36 tanks, I'll keep the aqueon hood and just take the strip lamp off. Kids can have fun playing with all the different combos of RGB lights, haha!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #39
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Both Levamisole treatments came today, started both, the treatments will be completely done the first week of June. No WC until this saturday which is fine since after the WC before the meds the nitrates were near zero - thanks, wisteria!

It's been 6 hours and muahaha the 1-2 punch of Levamisole is totally working! The medicated flakes are blue, and I know it's working because the dead worms coming out aren't white anymore - they are BLUE. Plus, they are skinnier and come out much quicker than before, which means the fish aren't backed up as much with big monster ones, we're getting the livelier junior worms out now. Goooood stuff. So far the snails seem fine, the one shrimp I saw today is happily perched on a cabomba harvesting away, and the fish are all cool.

all cool except for one tetra (my son pointed this one out before he went to bed, looking worse now, may be time for the Dead Fish talk with him), the one missing one eye, who isn't reacting well - hovering just above the substrate while everyone else is swimming around, for a long long time. may be dead after i get up in the morn. also noticed one of the petrified rocks has a nasty white sludgey bacteria blanket starting on it. so want to scrub and gravel vac suck that out, but i don't want to dilute the levamisole on day one after all - on saturday though that white stuff is toast. Let's hope tetra #2 doesn't join it by then.

edit - well i was hoping it was just general lethargy from the medication, but all the other fish seem peppy still - that one-eye tetra must have been already weakened and maybe the worms in death throes inside of it did it in. down to 8 tetra. one of the 8 just threw up the medicated flakes - crazy, never saw a fish do that, just totally puked a cloud of blue dots, the eaten medicated flakes. i'll keep an eye on that one, but it's swimming just fine with the rest of the bunch right now.

this stuff is tiring me out! but some more weeks of this before the tank is totally clear of worms, so i gotta keep going. sad to tell my son in the morn that the tetra are biting it.

Last edited by Jahn; 05-09-2013 at 02:33 AM.. Reason: Result
Old 05-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #40
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Son seemed more surprised than sad when I relayed the tetra deaths to him, and it was offset that we spotted 5 shrimp today- the three females we always see, but two males for the first time! Plus one of the females is berried! Which gives me hope that the other 6 shrimp will appear when they are bigger too.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #41
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Turns out my HC (Dwarf Baby Tears) is actually Shade Mudflower, or "MICRANTHEMUM UMBROSUM." I learn something new every day! Unfortunately a lot was getting strangled by the algae it came with from Win - I tried to prune as much out as possible but now the carpet is thinned out and scraggly. There are a few new leaves though so I won't give up on it yet.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #42
DCLyle
Algae Grower

Default First Father-Son (and soon Daughter) Planted Tank - 20 High - Petrified Wood is

It is a beautiful tank
DCLyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #43
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, my son had a lot of input on the look! btw, FINALLY the remaining 8 tetra seemed ok when i got home. a few seemed a bit sluggish but i heard that's to be expected with Levamisole - they'll perk up when i WC big on saturday.

There is one shrimp chillin' on top of the prefilter ALL day. maybe it was dead? i poked at it, it flew off then swam back to the same spot. nope, he just likes that spot! Same with one on an amazon sword leaf. ok guys, stake out your spots.

the timer power outlet came today, i'll use it to control the on/off times of the incoming LED, which will trigger in turn the solenoid on my CO2 system.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #44
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got rid of the rest of the shade mud flower and good thing too, under the substrate there was a mess if algae mixed up in their roots. Room now for some cholla or driftwood. The Levamisole couldn't kill all the snails, I saw a tiny gold one climbing tonight.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:04 AM   #45
DCLyle
Algae Grower

Default First Father-Son (and soon Daughter) Planted Tank - 20 High - Petrified Wood is

Tetras aren't aggressive; are they? I was just wondering if they have messed with your shrimp at all? Glad your finally getting the worm thing sorted. Did you ever figure out where the infection came from?
DCLyle is offline   Reply With Quote