First Father & Kids Tank - 20 High - 5/23/14 update! Ich Death recovery! - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #196
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Yep, doing weekly 30% changes now but I have to look into upping that it even getting seachem denitrifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #197
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I read up on it and decided to get seachem matrix instead of denitrifier since my HOB flow is pretty fast- the filter is loaded up with matrix and hopefully in a month we'll see a considerable drop in nitrate.

Speaking of drop, this morning I noticed that the co2 drop checker was blue. I checked the bubble counter and yep, all dry. I de-gassed the bit of co2 left in the valves, and disconnected my tank. Time for a refill! A 5lb tank lasted 5 1/2 months, not bad!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #198
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Hi, i have both matrix and denitrate and the media seems to be the same. the granuals are slightly different in size but im feeling its almost the same media.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #199
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ah good to know. I actually have an unopened jar of denitrifier here now as a result, I guess it's usable then to go with the aquaclear 30 I have now as a backup (replaced with a fluval C4).

Funny thing is, I did all the impeller tricks to quiet it, but it still seems to be a bit louder to me than the AC30. But hey, nobody else round here seems to mind the noise, and it's not near the bedrooms so no worries.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #200
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No changes in nitrate reduction yet, but it should take a few weeks i heard. In the meantime, the CO2 really has helped the plants explode, and this - NO BLACK ALGAE. Yes! The plants have outcompeted the algae! Thanks to the ratio of CO2 to light being more in favor of CO2 than I had before. Even the floating plants have exploded - the tetra can't keep up with eating their roots anymore, and they've spread very nicely across the top!

Old 11-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #201
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pulled a bunch of val and amazon sword leaves from the tank - looked like a jungle in there! The seachem matrix is doing a great job - right before the weekly water change, it shows as 10ppm, not the 40ppm that killed the rams. The new honey gourami is still going strong and loving the better water parameters!

Funny thing is that the wisteria died off. i guess less nitrate means less for the nitrate suckers. oh well, would rather have less wisteria than dying fish!
Old 11-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #202
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

How about an updated pic?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #203
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good idea, I'll take one when I get home!
Old 11-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #204
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
How about an updated pic?
As promised, here it is! Amazing, but since I upped the CO2, lowered the amount of light, upped filtration to a Fluval C4, and loaded it with Seachem Matrix - NO BLACK ALGAE. No joke, my bane is finally gone! And no fish deaths - nitrate has stayed nice and low! I have to keep getting in there and pruning stuff - this is after a recent pruning, already it's getting stuffed in there again

Old 12-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #205
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Me and the kids stopped by Pacific today and in an ebi tank was 5 rasbora. But not the typical Harlequin Rasbora - these were Lambchop Rasbora! I was hoping to get these type if they didn't have Chili Rasbora - my son likes the color, and I think the swoop in the back is pretty stylish. They should end up being bigger than the neon tetra but smaller than the emperor tetra. But right now they are the same size as the celestial pearl danio, hah. Got five since they like to shoal together and hang out near the top. Here they are back at home!

Old 12-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #206
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Killer tank, and those rasbora are amazing.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #207
vcp05
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Very nice
They look great and so does the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vcp05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #208
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default First Father & Kids Tank - 20 High - 12/7/13 video update! New Lambchop Rasbora!

Thanks all! The kids really dig it now. Here's a video - they are shoaling with the Celestial Pearl Danio!

Last edited by Jahn; 12-09-2013 at 01:47 PM..
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #209
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow has it really already been a month? No news is good news since everything is stable, no fish deaths and no algae outbreaks. Had to trim a lot plants recently, and scoop out a bunch of floaters. Lot less jungle like in there now. Happy new year!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #210
HunterX
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Love the video and the tank. It really looks great! Keep up the good work.
HunterX is offline   Reply With Quote