First Father & Kids Tank - 20 High - 5/23/14 update! Ich Death recovery! - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #181
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Well the pagoda was an algae magnet so we agreed to make it part of our outdoor garden instead, and move the sword plant in the center into the pagoda spot.

As we were lifting up the pagoda, one amano shrimp was hanging out a pagoda window. My daughter said "shake it off!" So we did- and ALL the shrimp exploded out! Many screams were to be had! Apparently the small ram's hiding place proved to the shrimp that the big fish couldn't get in there...well too bad, the pagoda is kaput, muahahaha! I counted 8 before they scurried away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #182
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

was going to take the rocks that have BBA on them and boil them then douse them with CO2 booster, but i ran out of booster! so out came the magic eraser and i just scrubbed them off for now. after i took this pic, i moved the blyxa back off the glass a bit and planted some more away from the carpet to give it more space. taking over! but it provides good cover for the amano shrimp now that the pagoda is gone. tiny bit of green spot algae starting on the glass but ill leave it up to the pleco and snails to keep it under wraps for now.

and the dwarf sag isn't dwarfish anymore - it has runners all over the back, and it's climbing the back glass up too!

Old 08-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #183
Roshan8768
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love the progression of your tank, just read through your entire thread. It's come a long way... I'm trying to figure out why you're having so many issues with parameters in such an established tank? Do you ever vacuum the substrate, do you clean out your filter pad completely when you do your water changes? Beautiful tank!

I also have a 20H, but its going in a slightly different direction than yours, I like to keep it as low maintenance as possible The new red stem that you got looks really good, is a focus point in your tank, pulls the eye. It also brought back a lot of memories when you posted the AqAdvisor thing, I used it a lot when I was starting out. Here's what it say's about my current stocking
Equipments:

Tank (LxDxH): 24 x 12 x 16 inch (19.9gUS)
Filters: Eheim 2213, Aquaclear 70

Selected species: [Edit Species]

2 x Fancy Goldfish (Carassius auratus)
11 x Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha)
2 x Betta [Female] (Betta splendens)
1 x Peppered Cory (Corydoras paleatus)
1 x Molly (Poecilia sphenops)
5 x Platy (Xiphophorus maculatus)

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is

Your aquarium stocking level is 208%.

Anyways, keep us updated on the tank. Here's a pic of mine!

Last edited by Roshan8768; 08-25-2013 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: typo
Roshan8768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #184
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah it's a constant fight with algae, I have it now where the plants thrive with a bit more dose of PPS-Pro, but dying stuff like leaves have to snipped right away or here comes algae. And same for the undead stuff like rocks, glass and that plastic pagoda- algae crops up so they do need scrubbing. It's a constant vigil!

Well the good news is that it keeps us on our toes- my daughter is still the fish counter but now she's the algae spotter too- she can even spot when BBA starts on a single gravel!

No deep vacuum of gravel, but there have been recent replantings and such which can throw the water column off. Just have to calm down on the gardening, keep up on maintenance and all will be well. Thanks for sharing your tank, I agree- red plants draw the eye as centerpieces!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #185
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think everything has finally stabilized, just a bit of green spot algae here and there. Here's our family tank as of 8/28/13 with the Freshwater + in Yellow High Light plant growth mode, and a custom deep blue in our memory bank!

Old 09-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #186
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's our family tank as of 9/16/13, blyxa is out of control! Pretty much carpeted it everywhere left that I could that makes sense aesthetically. Sad how all the stem plants lost leaves until they are right at the top, so I chopped them all down and replanted to them to get them denser and bushier near the bottom. If they lose leaves again, so be it! And the combo amazon swords have totally fleshed out where the pagoda used to be, I'm fencing it in with wisteria right now but oh man...

oh and the dwarf sag? not so dwarf, it's taking over the back of the tank!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #187
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The rocks were an algae magnet too - basically anything not organic couldn't keep off the BGA, including dying leaves. argh, so much maintenance! today we dumped all the rocks in a CO2 booster dip for a few hours to really soak them through and kill the BGA as much as possible, though I'm sure it'll still find a foothold somewhere. Heck, we even found it growing on the heater! We took this time to re-landscape the rocks so they'd be more prominent amongst the higher foreground blyxa, interesting look to the tank now.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #188
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Doesn't look that ordered on the right anymore, but at least there's more light getting through! fairly nice shot of the the Ram. my daughter loves freaking out the fish by switching LED settings nonstop, man i better invest in that timer/remote soon to ensure it defaults after her playtime!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #189
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So sad, a very quick moving disease hit the last ram and it died - I believe it was pop eye, some nasty fluid built up behind the eyes, turned white, started spreading to the rest of the head, stopped eating, it was over. Nitrates were the only thing that was a little high at 40 so i kept the water changes up with more % changed but alas too late.

So now there are 10 CPD, 5 Emperor Tetra, 2 Neon Tetra, a BN Pleco, 4 Amano Shrimp. The kids want color but I really don't want to go the Neon Tetra route again. Maybe a school of those smaller Green Neon Tetra, like 10?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #190
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Stopped by Pacific with the kids today on my day off and we bought one male Honey Gourami. Looks like a Sunset or Red Flame, maybe too early to tell. A whole bunch there, if you want to grab one! Hopefully that'll be it for the tank, as a Ram replacement.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:14 AM   #191
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A day later and the new gourami is swimming nicely with everyone else, but he's still not grabbing the food when it's feeding time - not yet trained to know that when i open the hood, it's chow time. He'll come around I'm sure. Here's a group shot, and a solo one:

Old 10-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #192
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's a video of the gourami!

Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #193
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
Yeah it's a constant fight with algae
When I first started my tank I had chronic problems with BBA. Found that it is because of excessive phosphates in the water. Dosing with KNO3 helps.

Try decreasing phosphates and increasing KNO3 and see what happens.

To help the gourami you could minse the food in a small cup with tank water and then squirt it in the tank with a syringe.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #194
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

just did a phosphate test, it was 1.0, i'm guessing that was high? nitrates are 40ppm
Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #195
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
just did a phosphate test, it was 1.0, i'm guessing that was high? nitrates are 40ppm
Phosphates need to be higher and nitrates need to be lower. More frequent water changes lower the nitrates.

According to Rex Griggs
Calcium 10 - 30 ppm
Iron .1 ppm
Magnesium 2 - 5 ppm
Nitrates 10 - 20 ppm
Phosphates 1 - 2 ppm

Last edited by Hilde; 10-18-2013 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: added text
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote