New member, new tank, and tons of algae!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
holmes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New member, new tank, and tons of algae!

My planted nano shrimp tank is under attack with massive amounts of brown algae. I joined this forum to seek advice as to what to do and basically join in because even though I don't even have this tank under control... I am dying to get another!

Okay so, this is a five gallon fluval spec v. I planted it with hair grass, java moss, fire moss, Anubis, and penny wort. I let it cycle for two weeks with my plants and added small amounts of shrimp food every day. At the start of week 2 I bought 5 Malaysian trumpet snails and put them in, several days later I got a single oto.

The oto was looking good so early in week 3 I put in four crystal red shrimp. Two of the shrimp died immediately. I feel as though it could have been shock from shipping, but I have no idea. The other two are doing good at the time of writing this.

I got a master test kit yesterday and everything tested great. However, the brown algae is seriously out of control. Also my penny wort has died off and only really the moss seems to be thriving.

I really want to add more low light plants, but I am having no luck in the plant department. My substrate is specially for plants, but I can't think of the name off the top of my head. I also added several root tabs.

Any advice is appreciated. I've read that after a few more weeks the algae might go away on its own. Im okay with waiting as long as my shrimp and oto are okay with it. Otherwise I was thinking of doing a three day blackout...

Ps sorry for any typos had to post this with my tablet which is not easy.
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
dr3ww3rd
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

First thing is dont do a blackout because that is only going to hurt your plants. The brown algae aka diatoms will go away on their own. Now the crystals most likely died due to your water parameters being off. They are more sensitive then red cherry shrimp or some of the other shrimp
Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
holmes
Algae Grower

Okay I won't do the blackout. According to my test kit and the info I got online my water parameters are good. I sure hope my other two dont die. They're very active right now and come floating along when I drop a shrimp pellet in.

Right now my tank is totally brown and not green at all. I really want to green it up with more plants but Im afraid of them being smothered by the algae.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Vepr
Planted Member

You could try some Seachem excel. There is a thread in the forum on algae about hitting the tank with a dose of hydrogen peroxide followed by a dose of excel that works fairly well. I tried it on my 20 gallon and it cleared up everything. You will still have to figure out what is wrong in terms of lighting or fert dosing etc but this will clear up what is there for the time being.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=203684
Vepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

do you also have a test kit for gH and kH? that seems to be necessary for keeping crs

i have been dealing with some diatom algae as well, pita, but still better then other types!

Last edited by thebuddha; 04-30-2013 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: im amazing
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
holmes
Algae Grower

Thanks ill get some excel. And no I just tested ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
dr3ww3rd
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

If your planning on keeping CRS you need to get a TDS meter which you can get on ebay for about $10. You also need to test your GH and KH
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
holmes
Algae Grower

What's the benefit of the gh/kh tester? I already know my water is hard. Is there anything I can even do to correct it after it tests out that way? Or maybe Im not understanding what the test does.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Not to burst your bubble, but CRS need soft, acidic, and clean water. The easiest thing to do would be to switch over from tap to remineralized reverse osmosis. Kh (carbonate hardness) should be 0, Gh (general hardness) should be 4-6 degrees. Without Gh shrimp have trouble molting. What's your pH?

The TDS meter measures the amount of dissolved solids, so basically how pure the water is.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #10
holmes
Algae Grower

Okay I got a gh/kh kit and flourish excel off amazon. I'll test the water as soon as it gets here. My PH is 7.6.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #11
holmes
Algae Grower

Here's some pics. As you can see everything is choked with algae.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #12
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For starters I'd suggest raising the light to lower the intensity, and lowering the photoperiod as well. How many hours is the light on? And of course, manual removal.

I see a CRS in pic 1. They'll probably survive but I doubt they'd breed in there.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
holmes
Algae Grower

Yep! I'm surprised at how much I see the two little guys for how many hiding places there are and how relatively big the tank is. I'm not aiming to breed them. I may get an easier species for that.

The light is usually on about 8 hours, but I have not kept it consistent. I'll raise the light up as you suggested, thanks.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
holmes
Algae Grower

It's been about a week since I posted this and my gh/kh test kit has come in the mail, as well as my Flourish Excel. Even without it's help, my algae problem has almost completely disappeared on its own. The only little bit I have left is clinging for dear life to my hair grass and seems difficult to remove as my oto won't waste his time with it and it's almost impossible for me to hand pick.

Yesterday I started dosing my tank with 10 drops of Flourish Excel using a pipette. Is that a good amount? I wanted to start very slowly and maybe slightly increase it in the future.

I also tested my KH and GH. It took 11 drops to change the color on the KH test and 9 on the GH.

My two crystal shrimp seem to have grown a lot in the week and everyone is doing okay. I still need to get the TDS meter.

I have some cherry shrimp coming in the mail today. I hope those guys will eventually breed in my tank.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Congrats! The cherries will definitely breed if your params are stable. You may want to consider mixing a bit of RODI water to lower that KH and GH... those numbers are a bit high. If the algae on the grass is hard to remove, use a comb.

20 drops is about 1 mL so I think it's about right.

Keep us posted... with pics!