CO2 + flow
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

CO2 + flow

Hey all,
Recently (past 1-2 months) I removed my powerhead from my tank for being an eyesore. I didn't notice any stress on the fish so i assumed oxygenation was not hurt. Last week, I broke ton of my equipment like my intake and outflow, but the new outflow I got has terrible directional flow. Very weak. I reintroduced the powerhead this last week. O M F G.

Basically, My plants have never been healthier. Within the past week, i have noticed a significant growth rate increase and overall plant health. I thought I had enough flow to suffice but I had wondered why after removing my powerhead my plants didn't pearl as heavily. With the flow now, i get tons of pearling as well, and in the area of my tank that gets lower flow, i can see much less pearling. And don't get me wrong, its not like my plants are flying all over the place, they are gently swaying. But even so, seems to really help.

I just wanted to share my experience recently with flow and distributing CO2 around the tank. Seems that it really makes a big difference!
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

thanks for sharing. i've gone to lengths and expenses to remove heaters and the like from the tank and minimize eyesores. but i've been on the fence recenly, wondering if a powerhead would be worth it. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Bad flow is kind of like ordering a pizza without delivery. Ya can't eat it if ya can't get to it lol
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

that's it. i've been waging a battle in my head all day; eat healthy for dinner or get pizza. you just pushed me over the edge, I'm getting pizza.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the info! mine will hopefully be coming in the mail today.. Where in the tank did you please it/direct the flow? top mid or lower tank?
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got fish that prefer lower flow so I placed it near the top, directed slightly upwards toward the opposite corner of the tank. Then the outflow is directed in the other direction kinda.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledGoat View Post
that's it. i've been waging a battle in my head all day; eat healthy for dinner or get pizza. you just pushed me over the edge, I'm getting pizza.
Always happy to promote bad diet to enjoy life every now and then
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

i added a power head today and the plants are back to boogieing in the current.. The harlequins are constantly playing in the flow... so hopefully the plants start to take off a little more as well thanks for the tips!
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have a 5 gallon with an internal power filter... I feel like only the middle of the tank is getting any CO2 bc there is no pearling from plants on the sides. After reading your experience I feel like I should be doing something to get more consistent flow throughout the tank...

Anyone have any ideas for me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7419.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	139266  

Name:	IMG_2594(1).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	139274  

snakeskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

full view
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8289.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	139282  

Old 05-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got the rio+ 50 powerhead. Nice and small, comes with an adjustable valve for flow control, nice attachments, and I pimped it out a bit to prevent juvie shrimps from being sucked in using some filter floss. Theres plenty of great powerheads out there, but my experience with koralia 240 nano is it was too much flow. I needed much less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeskin View Post
I have a 5 gallon with an internal power filter... I feel like only the middle of the tank is getting any CO2 bc there is no pearling from plants on the sides.
Also, just b/c your plants aren't pearling doesn't mean they aren't healthy. Pearling can be very dependent on light. In my case, I never changed my lighting, but still noticed a big change in pearling which leads me to believe the flow helped. I notice that you have the diffuser near the middle. If you have virutally 0 flow in that tank, then yes small powerhead will potentially help distribute CO2 around the tank. But I can't guarantee pearling

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-07-2013 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
snakeskin
Planted Tank Obsessed

puopg, can you include a picture of your rio filter? I found them online and they look cute and inexpensive. I think it could be a huge step up from the huge filter I am using now.

Quote:
Also, just b/c your plants aren't pearling doesn't mean they aren't healthy. Pearling can be very dependent on light. In my case, I never changed my lighting, but still noticed a big change in pearling which leads me to believe the flow helped. I notice that you have the diffuser near the middle. If you have virutally 0 flow in that tank, then yes small powerhead will potentially help distribute CO2 around the tank. But I can't guarantee pearling
The plants are growing and look healthy so I'm not as concerned with pearling. I do have good flow but it is mainly in the center of the tank.

One more thing, is the rio pump just a pump? Or is there a way to turn it into a filter?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-07-2013 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeskin View Post
puopg, can you include a picture of your rio filter? I found them online and they look cute and inexpensive. I think it could be a huge step up from the huge filter I am using now.
Sure, will post when i get home tonight. I might as well move my journal from barrreport to TPT while I'm at it haha. We'll see...
Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #14
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

FTS, 10 gallon as reference

Note pearling near front is low, more toward center of tank more pearling. Probably due to less light falloff. But that's the area of lowest flow.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm definitely feeling the flow issues right now on my Co2 and HOB. it goes halfway around the tank but getting back to the return is like a mission of it's own. (this is just a 6 gallon fluval edge) but I just bought a eheim 2073, so we will see if that has enough flow HAHA.

But seriously, flow and circulation seems like a huge concern because if there is even a spot that idles at, it seems to be a grow house for hair algae and diatoms - plus the plants aren't getting co2 to pass over them to convert into oxygen.

Thank you for your experience because I figured I was kind-of alone on this one and I'm always the guy that doesn't like to ask questions, nor do i like to pull out the map when i'm lost haha
Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote