How many Neons for a 10 gallon?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

How many Neons for a 10 gallon?

I had really intended to have only six in there, had three, bought six more figuring half would croak. Either they were really healthy Neons, or this is a really healthy tank as they've been doing quite well for the past two weeks so now I've got nine in there. I hardly ever see them all at once, but on occasion (usually feeding time) they'll all come out and I count noses. Yup. Still nine.

This is the tank:

Specs are in my sig. Will nine be too many in the long run you think? Everybody seems to be doing just fine, but if this is going to cause problems I'll may have to play musical fish and move a few to the 55. There's also some cherry shrimp in there a couple of which look to be about as big as the Neons!

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
fshfanatic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

If they are fully mature neons, that would be less than 1" of fish per gallon of water which in itself isnt bad as long as the water quality is good.
fshfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
mr.gaboozlebag
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

It would propably be fine, depending on how many other fish are in there.
mr.gaboozlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #4
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

Just the Neons and the cherry shrimp are in the tank. Some of these are pretty darn big Neons, easily approaching the size of Cardinals. I'll just have to play it by ear. One thing's for sure, nobody else is going to be joining them!

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
Old 06-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
JeremyChase
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Just the Neons and the cherry shrimp are in the tank. Some of these are pretty darn big Neons, easily approaching the size of Cardinals. I'll just have to play it by ear. One thing's for sure, nobody else is going to be joining them!
I'm curious to see how this goes! I also have a 10 gallon, and am looking at getting some tetras. From what I've read 10 neons in a 10 gallon is going to be fine; but I haven't gotten any for my system yet!

I already have a Betta Splendens, and want to add an Oto before adding the tetras. My plan is to put the Oto in, then shortly after 6 tetras. At first I was thinking Cardinals, but am now looking at Neons or Rummynose Tetras.

-Jeremy
Rotalla / Hemianthus / Moss / Wisteria / Red lily
JeremyChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:39 AM   #6
G1ll
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyChase
I'm curious to see how this goes! I also have a 10 gallon, and am looking at getting some tetras. From what I've read 10 neons in a 10 gallon is going to be fine; but I haven't gotten any for my system yet!

I already have a Betta Splendens, and want to add an Oto before adding the tetras. My plan is to put the Oto in, then shortly after 6 tetras. At first I was thinking Cardinals, but am now looking at Neons or Rummynose Tetras.

-Jeremy
I've been running an overstocked 10g for several months (my first attempt at fishkeeping...got a bit too excited and wanted a lively tank). It consists of 7 neon tetras, 2 blackskirt tetras, 3 panda cories, an oto, african dwarf frog, 4 amanos, a bamboo shrimp.

The tank is about as planted as the OP's, perhaps a bit less. No CO2, no ferts, ~40 watt fluorescent lighting. Zero problems so far and water quality seems to be stable. I can't get another tank so I have to live w/ my mistakes and make sure I keep up w/ water changes.

One thing I can tell you though is that the tank provides tons of entertainment...Never a dull moment between watching the dwarf frog missing a flake right in front of him or the hideous bamboo shrimp fanning the current.
G1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
the_noobinator
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator

g1ll: wow that's a busy little tank! do you have a picture?
the_noobinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

So far so good, although it's not quite as well planted now . Had a few little tufts of BBA trying to start so I though "Ah-hah! I'll nip this in the bud!" and started some Flourish Excel.

Do. Not. Use. Excel. With. Anacharis. !!!!

Only recalled after the fact that "You know, I think I remember something to do with Excel and Anacharis . . . " It was really rather astonishing the speed with which the Anacharis melted away . . .

It's a learning experience . I knew there was a reason I wasn't that fond of Anacharis (It was all I could find locally at the time.) If some sort of stem pops up at PetsMart that I think will do in this low-light/low-tech (and that looks halfway healthy)tank I'll snatch up a couple of bunches to replace the "late Anacharis." But at least the Neons seem to be healthy and happy.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
the_noobinator
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator

think of it this way: with less plants, you'll have more swimming area.
the_noobinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
zachfishman
Algae Grower

I'm with G1ll, my 10g has a 4" pleco, 1 3" rainbow shark, 10 neons, 2 danios, 2 cories, and 4 platies with no water problems. If you were to have just neons you could easily have 20 with no extra bio filtration and 30 if you have a bio-wheel or so. Just add them slow, watch your ammonia like always.
zachfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:52 PM   #11
Burks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

With Neons I'd throw out the 1" per gallon rule. 20 of them in a 10g with good water quality is no problem.
Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
kindbud
Algae Grower

i've got 10 cardinals (the original 10 from the lfs) in a 10-gallon tank. tank is heavily planted with diy co2 and an ah supply 36-watt light. other inhabitants include 3 otos, about 8 cherry shrimp, and a bunch of snails (bladder, i think).

tank is doing great! thinking of adding about 5-10 pygmy corys.
kindbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

Depending on what kind of answers I receive in another thread I've just started (Dwarf Gouramis and hydras,) I may be adding one or two small gouramis to this tank, probably on a temporary measure. One thing for sure, this hobby keeps you on your toes!