75G - "Cichlid Haven"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

75G - "Cichlid Haven"

Well....as fate has it, I am starting a new adventure...a Cichlid Tank!

I know, I know, this is a planted tank forum so why am I doing a journal here on a cichlid tank. Well, TPT has been my home since I started into this hobby and wanted to stay here, so......with that said, here we go.

I am in the process of gathering up stuff, doing research on cichlids, getting ready to build my stand and looking at ordering a few items.

My neighbor last year bought a 75G tank for his son's turtle and then in the spring they got rid of the turtle so he had this tank and a new Fluval 206 filter. I bought the tank & filter for $125.00.

My idea is to use flat rock and build a rock wall with caves & holes and also have one stump like wood centerpiece that I will take from my 125G tank. I am going to use Eco-Complete Cichlid substrate to maintain a high PH along with getting some different size river rocks to put around at the base of the rock wall. I still am unsure if I want to try and put some jungle vals in this scape because I will not have any CO2 or be doing any dosing of ferts. I could use root tabs but we will see.

For lighting, I am going to buy (2) 20W LED flood lights from VVME for day time lighting and (2) blue LED strip lights for night time.

Flitration, I will be running (2) Fluval 206 filters and (1) Fluval 404 filter. I may even look into doing a sump design later because I have a Tetra Pond pump that runs 1000GPH, but since I have never used a sump, I am going to need to do my research before diving into that project. I am also looking into building a small purigen reactor and getting a UV unit. I do already have an inline 300w heater.

That is where I am at today and will keep updated on the build process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
sadchevy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are you planning on going with africans? You should have plenty of filtration with your plan. A sump would be less maintenance but not necessary. I would think a few jungle vals and maybe some java fern and anubias would do fine. A scattered planting, just enough to add some visual appeal. I have always had a soft spot for Frontosa's, but a 75g is to small for a colony. Can't wait to see this come together, your other tanks have been awesome.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchevy View Post
Are you planning on going with africans? You should have plenty of filtration with your plan. A sump would be less maintenance but not necessary. I would think a few jungle vals and maybe some java fern and anubias would do fine. A scattered planting, just enough to add some visual appeal. I have always had a soft spot for Frontosa's, but a 75g is to small for a colony. Can't wait to see this come together, your other tanks have been awesome.
I was thinking of Africans. I also was thinking of using some of my java fern & anubius nanas I have in my 125G tank to try and create a natural habit feel. Thanks for the comments!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Tank has been put on hold due to insufficient funds at the moment. This tank will still happen, just not in the time frame I had hoped for.