To fert, or not to fert?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
PaintedLady83
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

To fert, or not to fert?

Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up a 10gal low light tank, in preparation of later moving to a 75gal tank. I haven't done a planted tank before so I thought I'd try my hand at a small tank to get a feel for it, and make sure that I know what I'm doing rather than possibly flushing hundreds of bucks down the drain. For now I'd like to keep it fairly simple and not worry about Co2. I've got Eco Complete as my substrate and some nice Pagoda rocks for the hardscape.

What I'm wondering is do I need to fert, and if so what should I be using and how often? For plants I'm thinking of some Java Fern, Java Moss, some Anubias, and maybe some Christmas Moss to start with, nothing too crazy.

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can offer!
PaintedLady83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

i had a 10 gallon with crypts, java fern, and a couple anubius. i didnt dose any ferts (except a couple of root tabs under the crypts) and the plants did okay, they just grew very very slowly (i also only used 2x 9w bulbs)

so its not a necessity, but it may benefit you to dose so you end up with healthier plants
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
PaintedLady83
Algae Grower

Thanks for the response! I was thinking of maybe using Flourish Excel just to help give the plants some extra nutrients, especially while the tank is cycling and before I add any fish and shrimp.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Fertilizing Aquatic Plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedLady83 View Post
Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up a 10gal low light tank, in preparation of later moving to a 75gal tank. I haven't done a planted tank before so I thought I'd try my hand at a small tank to get a feel for it, and make sure that I know what I'm doing rather than possibly flushing hundreds of bucks down the drain. For now I'd like to keep it fairly simple and not worry about Co2. I've got Eco Complete as my substrate and some nice Pagoda rocks for the hardscape.

What I'm wondering is do I need to fert, and if so what should I be using and how often? For plants I'm thinking of some Java Fern, Java Moss, some Anubias, and maybe some Christmas Moss to start with, nothing too crazy.

I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can offer!
Hello Lady fm Parker...

If you keep to the plants that require low to moderate light, then the fertilizer the fish produce is sufficient and the best long term and no CO2 is needed. The fishes' ferts never need to be measured or dosed. If you don't have a decent fish load, then there are any number of good liquids, tablets, dry or granules you can use. I like liquids, because they're easily dosed once a week when I do my water changes.

I have Anubias nana and nangi, Java fern, Singapore moss, Cryptocoryne, Brazilian waterweed and Pennywort in my low tech tanks and use a couple of 48 inch florescent bulbs from the hardware store for lights.

Planted tanks can be fairly simple and inexpensive.

B
Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
PaintedLady83
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Lady fm Parker...

If you keep to the plants that require low to moderate light, then the fertilizer the fish produce is sufficient and the best long term and no CO2 is needed. The fishes' ferts never need to be measured or dosed. If you don't have a decent fish load, then there are any number of good liquids, tablets, dry or granules you can use. I like liquids, because they're easily dosed once a week when I do my water changes.

I have Anubias nana and nangi, Java fern, Singapore moss, Cryptocoryne, Brazilian waterweed and Pennywort in my low tech tanks and use a couple of 48 inch florescent bulbs from the hardware store for lights.

Planted tanks can be fairly simple and inexpensive.

B
Thanks for the advice B! I added the first lot of plants to my tank yesterday and added a dose of Flourish afterwards to help them get settled. I figure I'll continue to dose with Flourish until the tank cycles and is ready for fish. Once the fish are in I'll see how the plants do with just the natural ferts and dose as needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.