Help: Have to Move 75G Tank ASAP
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

Help: Have to Move 75G Tank ASAP

Good day all, hope everyone is well.

The stand that my 75G tank is on actually came infested with Powderpost Beetles. I am in the process of decommissioning the stand but I need an effective way to transfer and save the good water. I purchased 2x 35G garbage cans from Lowes. As far as the water, any recommendations on pumps that I can use? (Obviously I will pre-catch all the fish and put them in a holding tank).

I was thinking either a Marineland/Eheim sump pump, or using something like a transfer pump from Lowes. Thoughts? Ideas?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wayne-1-1...7#.UXvrsBZyTA4

or

Amazon.com: Marineland NJ900 Maxi-Jet Submersible Utility Pump, 10-Watt, 247 GPH: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Marineland NJ900 Maxi-Jet Submersible Utility Pump, 10-Watt, 247 GPH: Pet Supplies
ronaldvalente is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Re: Help: Have to Move 75G Tank ASAP

Why save the water? There very little beneficial bacteria in it.

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
ronaldvalente
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLove View Post
Why save the water? There very little beneficial bacteria in it.

---
I give my fish coffee
Going to save at least half of the water, I don't like abruptly changing the water as it stresses the fish. Saving 35 will at least be similar to a 50% water change.
ronaldvalente is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fair enough.

What about simply siphoning it with a hose? Of course it'll take longer but it's a money saver.

---
I give my fish coffee
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLove View Post
Fair enough.

What about simply siphoning it with a hose? Of course it'll take longer but it's a money saver.

---
I give my fish coffee
Agreed.

there is no point in buying something to do such a simple job. you're over thinking things, but saving some of the old water to reduce shock on the fish is a good call. So, do you plan to buy another tank stand? or you gonna make one yourself?
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
BarbH
Planted Member

Before I started using my python water changer, I would siphon the water into a brute container. To get the water out a bucket will work well. I picked up a couple of them at the dollar store, they are some were between 2-3 gallons. As said will take a little more time, but will save you money, especially if you will not have a heavy need for the pump later on.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

If you think you may have a use for it in the future, a small sump pump is a good thing to have around. It's one of those things that you think you'll never need, but wonder how you lived without it once you get it. I use a small rio pump that I bought on amazon for like $12 and about 6 feet of clear tubing from home depot. Siphoning the water out is easy, but how will you get it back in when it's time to refill? Personally I hate lugging buckets.
Indychus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

No need to worry if its from the same water source, I have done many 95% wc's with no ill effect.
If your that worried just float em in a bag for a while, it ain't like they are comin from dirty lfs water.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
If you think you may have a use for it in the future, a small sump pump is a good thing to have around. It's one of those things that you think you'll never need, but wonder how you lived without it once you get it. I use a small rio pump that I bought on amazon for like $12 and about 6 feet of clear tubing from home depot. Siphoning the water out is easy, but how will you get it back in when it's time to refill? Personally I hate lugging buckets.
I don't like buckets either but its simple and easy

---
I give my fish coffee
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

since you already bought the big trash cans, my approach would be to siphon into them, and then use a smaller, liftable bucket to scoop back into the tank. sure, it'll require work but it'll be faster than waiting on a pump.

but if you're bent on getting a pump, it's not such a bad thing to have on hand. not at all necessary for this situation though. my Home Depot here in Chicago is overstocked with small pumps now after the flood we got. Guy there says there's been such a rush on that stuff, as well as shop vacs, he hasn't seen anything like it in his 17 years working there.

if you hadn't already bought the 35 gallon cans, I would have suggested many 5 gal buckets. At least you can move them around. You aren't going to be moving those 35 gallon cans anywhere while you try to swap out the stand.

crazy luck with those beetles, though! hope it all works out.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.