Another 20L Lighting thread...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
theericafish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Another 20L Lighting thread...

So as the title says I'm looking for a new light for my 20L. I want to go high tech with pressurized co2 so I need high lighting. I currently have a dual t5no fixture which is giving me good medium/low light.

I've been poking around the forums and other places online and I'm seeing a lot of factors that are causing me to have a hard time making a decision :O

If I go with the 30'' ray2 I don't get red spectrum lighting and lose lighting on the edges of the tank due to the 24 inch led array. At around 100$ and a 40k hr lifespan its very cheap for high light in the long run. ~90par at 12inch.

Checked out the build your own led site and the fixtures run near 200$, thats a bit much for me

If I do dual t5ho such as the aquatic life 30'' fixture I get comparable par to the ray2 with red spectrum at the cost of replacement bulbs and higher wattage usage and about the same initial cost. (also has 24'' bulbs). Assuming around 70par at 12inch.

Being a noob to high tech i'd feel much better throwing around money if someone would chime in with their high tech 20l setup and why you prefer your specific lighting. General discussion is welcome

Seems to me like finnex is the cheapest option for high tech, while t5 has the color spectrum and both have mixed reviews.

If it helps my goals are to grow a carpet of dhg or hc and keep some plants with decent red coloration.

(I went about 5 pages deep in the lighting subforum and still can't decide :x)

Last edited by theericafish; 04-27-2013 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: ermmm....
theericafish is offline   Reply With Quote