Dark green algae growing on my plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 11-22-2003, 03:55 AM   #1
skseah
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I found some dark green algae growing at the edges of my plants. Some are below the leaves. Anyway to get rid of them?
skseah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2003, 01:54 PM   #2
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

A picture would be nice, but since you say it is at the edges of the leaves I would guess BBA- black brush algae. Go here and scroll down to the pic of a Java fern leaf (about 3/4ths the way down). Does it look like this?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/vie...37&start=0

Another place with more examples, different types, and some information is George Booth's article posted on Ghazanfar Ghori's site:

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm

HTH

James
Old 11-22-2003, 03:12 PM   #3
skseah
Algae Grower

Hi James,
Sorry for not posting a photo. Yes, you are correct. It looks like the ones on the Java fern leaf. From the thread, black mollies, and those other algae eating fishes & prawns, should solve the problem?
Old 11-23-2003, 04:06 AM   #4
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

The only fish confirmed to eat BBA is Crossocheilus siamensis, the Siamese Algae Eater. Some have reported the American Flag Fish (Jordanella floridae) will eat it, but IME it doesn't, at least not consistently enough to be of real value if you have a problem with BBA.

Is this a new tank? What're the stats- tank size, lighting, fertilization, fish load, substrate, how well planted, water parameters?

James
Old 11-23-2003, 04:52 AM   #5
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaverde
The only fish confirmed to eat BBA is Crossocheilus siamensis, the Siamese Algae Eater.
Not true: A group of hungry rosy barbs will absolutely decimate a stand of BBA in a fraction of the time a comparable group of SAEs would. Other similar barbs such as aurulius or spanner-T barbs will also consume BBA. Just watch out for your other soft plants when all the BBA's gone.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2003, 12:23 PM   #6
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Tula you should have just stopped at this point in your reply... :lol:
Quote:
Not true: A group of hungry rosy barbs will absolutely decimate
I think the only reason rosy's eat the BBA is to get to the tasty leaves of the plants that it is on... LOL
And then once you have them lil "Plant Destructors" in a heavily planted tank just try and catch them... hehe
Old 11-23-2003, 03:55 PM   #7
skseah
Algae Grower

Hi All,
I managed to take some pictures. Here is one.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:30 PM   #8
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

That's BBA, all right.

Fish didn't solve my BBA problems. I think for some spotty stuff, not a really serious infestation, the right fish might do pretty handily. I had more than that, and what really solved the problem was a change in tank parameters. I have given up on the silver bullet theory. I think all of us would like a recipe that works every time in every tank, but at this juncture in the hobby, such a thing apparently does not exist. You try this, you try that, and by exercising patience and not giving up, eventually you get the victory. Someone here may give you a tip that works for you. In my low light tank, I trimmed everything out that had BBA on it, did a 4-day blackout, 90% water change, filter clean, removed DIY CO2 and put the lighting up from 1.5 to 2.25wpg. BBA only now shows up in very small amounts on weak and dying leaves that have been left in the tank when they should have been trimmed out. Nothing like what is in your photo, and I had worse than you are showing there.

Tula, I had some Rosies for a short while, they succumbed before I could get a real good feel for how they would do with algae. They are also entirely too large for my small tanks, which limits their practicality IMO. Spanner-Ts get even larger. Are you recommending them as a good fit for BBA control?

James
Old 11-24-2003, 01:49 AM   #9
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Tula you should have just stopped at this point in your reply... :lol:
Quote:
Not true: A group of hungry rosy barbs will absolutely decimate
I think the only reason rosy's eat the BBA is to get to the tasty leaves of the plants that it is on... LOL
And then once you have them lil "Plant Destructors" in a heavily planted tank just try and catch them... hehe
I think I've missed something here. I was addressing the statement that the "only fish confirmed to eat BBA is Crossocheilus siamensis," which isn't true. I'm not sure which part of my statement you believe is false, but myself and a clerk at my LFS did a quick experiment with a rosy and arulius barb tank there. He took one of the ceramic caves that were totally covered in BBA from one of the apisto tanks and placed it into the barb tank. I came back two days later and found that the cave was gone. "What happened to the cave?" I asked. "The barbs cleaned it off yesterday," he said.

I've used them specifically for this purpose before and they are definitely more efficient than SAEs. When the BBA disappears and I start to see little bite marks on my other plants, that's when I round 'em up and take 'em back (and why I added the caveat at the end of my reply). Catching them's not been a problem; it just takes a little more patience and persistence than the average fish.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:52 AM   #10
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaverde
They are also entirely too large for my small tanks, which limits their practicality IMO. Spanner-Ts get even larger. Are you recommending them as a good fit for BBA control?
James, I'm not sure where I addressed your case specifically; I merely addressed the contention that SAEs were the only BBA-consuming fish out there. If rosy or aurulius or spanner-Ts don't fit in your tank (or skseah's tank), I'm certainly not advocating you (or skseah) employ them! If I gave that impression, I apologize, though I don't see how I did...
Old 11-24-2003, 02:21 AM   #11
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

You didn't give that impression- I knew what you were adressing. I was asking your opinion, as I'm always pressing the practical in these discussions. And the question is not limited to small tanks, as I already don't think that's a reasonable fit. You've pretty much answered it in your post to Buck.

James
Old 11-27-2003, 02:40 PM   #12
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Dang Tula you are a sensitive one.... I wasnt saying you were false, they do eat the heck outta BBA. I was merely shedding a small bit of humor as to them eating everything else like you STATED in your post as well...

ahhhh.... never mind... you aren't by any chance a scientist are you?

Scientists rarely find humor in anything and need a reason for everything :hehe:
Old 11-27-2003, 04:06 PM   #13
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Scientists rarely find humor in anything and need a reason for everything
:cry: It's sad.... really :cry:

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2003, 09:28 PM   #14
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think I'm sensitive; I just don't think you were clear on what you were joking about. I just tried to clarify the point in case there was some misunderstanding, that's all. And don't talk about humor or you'll open up a great big can of worms. My sense of humor doesn't play well on a family board...

Besides, I once joked about 'oldtimers' in the hobby in another post here and got reamed for it by PM. Misunderstandings happen. Believe me, I know... :roll:
Old 12-06-2003, 11:34 AM   #15
skseah
Algae Grower

Hi,
The BBA have spread to other plants. I am now thinking of re-doing the whole tank. Anything important I should remember? Can I use the same sand? the same filter element so as to reduce the time to build up the bacterias?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.