My turtle vivarium: - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 06-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #16
mr.gaboozlebag
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

This is sorta off topic, but my nieghborhas a painted turtle named Flosie. She's half blind, so you have to feed her by hand. (No feeders for her) :bigrin: and she sometimes stabs and misses. But the coolest thing is, that once when my nieghbor let her out of th aquarium for exersize, She left the room for a phone call, and a few minutes later Flosie had followed her into the room. Turtles definetly have a great personality.
mr.gaboozlebag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #17
natx
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to natx Send a message via Skype™ to natx

So the moss didn't do so well in the end; my guess is the high lighting was just too much for it. That and a hungry turtle pulling it into the water for an afternoon snack. So I was left trying to figure out what kind of low coverage plant would meet the following criteria:
- High lighting
- Lots of moisture
- Fast enough growth to not mind being snacked on

The answer was almost too easy: grass.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:00 PM   #18
natx
Planted Member

The spider plants proved too tasty to last a week in the tank if anyone was wondering where they went.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:49 AM   #19
Mikee
Algae Grower

Awesome setup reminds me of when i had my 2 turtles 2-3 years ago except i used one of those little kids pool hahaha
Mikee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2006, 05:01 AM   #20
bioch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natx View Post
This guy is definately not your typical slider. He spends an enormous amount of time plodding around on land, I think he might have aspirations to be a tortoise. But he doesn't like vegetables! I can get him to eat fruit, egg, golfish, nearly anything except green leafy stuff. Which obviously works well for the plants.

I've been getting feeder guppys instead of golfish recently. The last time I bought a dozen goldfish he had consumed all of them in under two hours. They're pretty fatty as far as fish go, and I didn't think that was healthy. Plus they ruin the natural look of the tank (in my opinion).

The guppys are great though, I get two dozen and at least half of them survive long enough to breed a few times. Unfortunately most of the fry go straight up the intake pipe on the Fluval 404. I have one guppy that has lived in the tank for almost four months now, shes survived through three other batches of guppys. I'm thinking of removing her and the other survivors to the planted tank I'm setting up.. Sort of a natural selection in fast forward type of deal.
I've never seen my turtle eat anything besides commercial food. It's cute how when I walk up to the tank holding those little sticks they would swim up and try bitting it. Do you have a heater in the tank? My turtles only eat when the water is warm enough otherwise they just stay in the water. So be sure to have a heater to keep them happy.

TinyPic Video and Image Hosting
You can see a little fry swimming near the turtle, I'm surprised that it grew up to be an adult before the turtles got to it.
bioch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #21
XenoMorph2049
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conduct View Post
In Iowa they can not be sold if less than 4" unless it is being used in a science/school lab. Great looking vivarium setup by the way.
I concur, Great looking setup. I had 3 in a 75g and they loved it. Messy little buggers though.
The size law here in FL applies as well. Unfortunately, you can still find them everywhere, including a souvenier shop down the road. They keep about 30 of them in a 10g with no heat, no UV, and ambient room lighting. All they do is put up a little sign warning about salminella(sp?) and that they are only being sold for "educational purposes". Even the LPS's in the area do this, yet lack to "educate" the buyers about the turtles needs, such as basking lights and specialized UV lights. There great pets, unfortunately some people dont fully understand that this "cheap little pet" (~$10 around here) need about $100-$150 in accesories to be kept happy and healthy.
XenoMorph2049 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #22
CardBoardBoxProcessor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

maybe ricca or some floaty plants will make him happy? or doe she eat them?

perhaps somehow you could make the land mass have an underwater cave to increase swimming space? I dunno..
CardBoardBoxProcessor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #23
RESGuy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RESGuy Send a message via MSN to RESGuy
Cool

Wow, really cool tank! Glad to see other turtle owners here I have had my RES Potato for over a year now and it has grown from 1.5 inches to 3 inches in its very own 55 gallon tank Nothing better than watching a lone hatchling RES swimming in such a massive tank!!
20 Gallon Tall
Tank Paradise <- My site
I have both AIM and MSN so message me when you like, I love talking with people that share the hobby!
RESGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #24
boasist
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

yeah that looks like a great setup. I am currently in the process of setting up my 130g tank for my RES.

Do you happen to have any other pics with better lighting? I am doing something similar with the splitting of the tank and I would like to see your setup with some more pics.
Thanks!
boasist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 AM   #25
boasist
Planted Member

agreed, on all counts, great setup. How are things now that the tank has been broken in?

EDIT - whoops! I liked this setup so much I went to the thread again and didn't even notice I had already posted.....Congrats again!!!
boasist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #26
natx
Planted Member

I took a few new shots. The lighting on this tank (and my living room in general) makes it pretty hard to photograph: there is intense light in a very small space from the compact fluorescent fixture on the plants, and then little to nothing in the water space, since I'm not trying to grow and plants in there. I aimed his basking light as best I could into the water to help out, but these probably aren't much more useful than what you've already seen on my site.

Room shot:

Looking in:

Full tank:

Some crazy random house plant thats been growing like mad:

The lawn area, freshly trimmed:

Again, not terribly helpful in terms of figuring out layout or anything. I'm starting to plan a new, larger tank that will be less devoted to the land area and more open for swimming. I've got a few ideas around using the cork bark again to keep it natural looking, but I'm looking forward to seeing how your project progresses in regards to aquatic plants.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:39 AM   #27
boasist
Planted Member

cool, nice to have a some likeness here.

How has that bark been holding up? You have had the tank for how long now?

Edit - I see you ordered from herp supplies. Good thing, as I have been in touch with them extensively awaiting the arrival of the zilla combo dome. A setup like this is very nice, and I really would like to recreate your basking area in some fashion, I'm thinking more of a bow style in one of the corners. With a similar rock staircase.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:23 AM   #28
natx
Planted Member

I've had it setup for just a little over a year. The cork bark base holds up qute well, but the turtle likes to claw on it to pull himself up on to the land. He's pulled off quite a few chunks of various sizes, and in a few spots if you look close you can see the cork panel sans-bark. It still looks good though. I imagine you'd probably want to drain, dry and replace the panels every 2, 2.5 years or so in a permenant setup. As is, I'll probably end up moving to a bigger tank before its even an issue.

I basically made two enclosed sections, one slightly lower than the primary land area, so it serves as sort of a 'step', and also provides an area with about two inches of water and a basking stone. He likes to sit there, still sort of in the water but mostly dry and basking.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 AM   #29
boasist
Planted Member

nice, I'll check on these parts this week, hopefully be able to get this in for a weekend project next week.

In your lower section, is that just built up with rocks, or did you use your coconut/soil mixture there as well. Did this effect your tank water at all?

I see that frog moss is dirt cheap really, so I'll see if I can find it locally to check its style.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #30
natx
Planted Member

Lower section has 3 inches of course gravel and then the coconut/soil mixture, and then its top with two inches of the same gravel thats in the tank. The top layer keeps it from being knocked into the water. I don't know how it effects water quality, but I don't really care either since nothing is growing in it.

Having the soil there lets me grow that one plant in the corner. I think its the 'mondo grass' crap they sell at pet stores that isn't really aquatic. Its taken off like crazy growing emersed in that spot though, I can see the roots going all the way to the bottom of the tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.