Moving a 40 Gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Manegy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Moving a 40 Gallon

Hello all im moving apartments next week and have a fairly large very expensive tank I want to take with me. Its only about a 7 miles up the road and will take about 15 minutes driving. Has anyone been in the same situation and if so how did you move everything without having to replant the tank. I was thinking of getting 6 5 gallon buckets filling them with tank water and putting my filter media in them and bagging the fish for the trip. I have to keep my tank from cycling if at all possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone is in Charlotte NC on the afternoon of the 8th help moving would be awesome lol.
Manegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
oldschool1921
Algae Grower

I think your plan sounds pretty solid. What kind of substrate do you use, hopefully something that will re-settle quickly.
oldschool1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Manegy
Algae Grower

peat moss and playsand capped with gravel
Manegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Jojoba
Algae Grower

You plan sounds pretty good. Because I am in college I have to move my 30 gal 4x a year, but your plan sounds similiar to what I do. The main thing is get the water low, I mean down to substrate level low. Otherwise it will slosh all over the car and you will hate having to clean. Also, since you're only moving a 15 minute drive away, I wouldn't worry too much about your filter and having to re-cycle, I have to drive an hour and so far have never had to re-cycle. Lastly, you can keep your fish in one of the buckets you have your water in, less hassle not having to deal with bags.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Jojoba
Algae Grower

Oh, one more last thing: make sure to seal those buckets! I can't emphasize it enough. As you could probably imagine my dad was not thrilled to discover that when we got home his trunk was sopping wet. When I move my tank I have a lid for my buckets then I put two or three trash bags (tied closed) around it to ensure it does not leak.