Optimum ODNO for a 75 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 PM   #16
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Some think that the workhorse series does not drive ODNO as well as the "dumb" Advance series as listed in the ODNO thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc
Anyway, I think 4 t8's with 2x odno from workhorse ballists will put out a nice amount of light. Give them decent reflectors and you have a high light enviroment. I had 2 2x and 2 no with poor reflectors and got increadable pearling.
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 04:23 AM   #17
Alight
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

A direct comparison of my 2X ODNO 2 X T-8, 48 inch bulbs (128 watts of light according to Shalu) vs my 2 X 55 AH PC unit is that the ODNO is much cooler than the lesser wattage AH PC Unit. The ODNO is in a shoplight hood, so not great reflectors, but the light in the tank is at least as much as the AH unit, probably because the ODNO bulbs are continuous, while there are two separate units for the AH kit, with a gap between them. Also, the AH unit is at the back of my tank (space restrictions) and the reflector directs the light a bit too narrowly, so it missed the top of the back of the tank. So the tall plants that I grow there get little or no light when they reach the top of the tank. If it weren't for the space restrictions, I'd switch the lights around and avoid that problem.
Alight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #18
MoonFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I wouldn't have done it but there was an ebay guy selling the extruded reflectors cheap. The four bulb one was about $50. My 2x tank with better reflectors blows away (in brightness) the two twenty gallons I have four regular bulbs and crappy reflectors on.

I don't know why my bill went up so much it could be a faulty heater. i pulled it and shall see. I thought it would go up maybe $20 or something. The rates could have gone up also, I just don't know.

I just wanted to chime in because there are more choices than AH supply. That place gets so many plugs it seems like they pay a comission!
MoonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #19
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

Figure that 256W of power consumption for 10 hours a day will run ~$7.
http://www.celticrover.com/tig/wattcost.asp

A faulty heater would dramatically raise the aquarium temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFish
I don't know why my bill went up so much it could be a faulty heater. i pulled it and shall see. I thought it would go up maybe $20 or something. The rates could have gone up also, I just don't know.

I just wanted to chime in because there are more choices than AH supply. That place gets so many plugs it seems like they pay a comission!
Good product. Good customer support. Nice price...
Old 06-07-2006, 12:20 AM   #20
gbhil
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRam
Good product. Good customer support. Nice price...

I'm DIY lighting's staunchest supporter. But I concede often times there is no other choice that comes close to AH Supply's kits. Nano tanks, 3 foot tank, 5 foot tanks and non-rectangular tanks all beg for an AH bright kit.
gbhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #21
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have two T-8 shoplights over my 75 gallon. The lighting wasn't even enough with my 260 watt Aqualight, to get even lighting I had to raise it up on legs.

I get even lighting with the T-8's and with 128 watts the Riccia on the bottom of the tank still pearls, as well as crypts in the shaded areas.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #22
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I read quite a few threads on odno before I tried it, and workhorse at that time was rated quite well. The only thread I read about even slightly bashing workhorse was when someone recomended odno with a workhorse 7.

Both the workhorse 5 and 7 have 4 leads. The workhorse 7 has a higher overall wattage rateing and cost a bit more. While the wh7 can drive more total watts (such as a pair of 96 watt cf bulbs), I do not think it has any advantage (other than the upgrade path to the pair of 96 watt bulbs) over the workhorse 5 which can easily 2x 2 bulbs, or 4x a single bulb. I did not try the 4x route, but the 2x odno with a wh5 was amazing to me.

I know our local (building) reef geek (fish guy who maintains the buildings large tank), swears by workhorse ballists on his tanks. Likewise, if you look arround, they can be found for only a minimal premium over the advanced (I paid $25ish for mine). At the time the wh7 was closer to $45 (although I saw wh5 for that price too, while I was shoping)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRam
Some think that the workhorse series does not drive ODNO as well as the "dumb" Advance series as listed in the ODNO thread.
This was one of the first threads - Cheap lighting-odno
Quote:
Can I use the magnetic ballast that came with my shop light or aquarium canopy?
No. You must use an electronic ballast. Not all types of electronic ballast might work with ODNO, but most should be able to with no problems. Here are a few known 'overdriveable' electronic ballasts:

* Advance REL-4P32-SC
* GE B432I120RH
* Sylvania QT 4x32/120 IS-SC
* Fulham Workhorse 5

I personally recommend the Workhorse 5 (which can be purchased at a local lighting supply store for around $20-$30) since it has the highest ballast factor (power output) and is more flexible than a conventional 4 bulb F32T8 electronic ballast. You can even drive 55w and 96w Power Compact bulbs with a Workhorse.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:03 PM   #23
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

I was not trying to bash Fulham in post 16. Only suggests that all ballasts are not equal. I thought the ephemeral "load sensing" prevented ODNO however it looks like this is not true given all the threads out there. It appears that T5 are harder to ODNO though.

I have a WH 8 so 220W =4XT5HO some day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc
I read quite a few threads on odno before I tried it, and workhorse at that time was rated quite well. The only thread I read about even slightly bashing workhorse was when someone recomended odno with a workhorse 7.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:24 AM   #24
Peter
Algae Grower

So since the real costs with lighting are the purchase/start-up costs, monthly electricity bill, and bulb repacement to arrive at a targeted amount of light in the tank, it appears the issues becomes to ensure I get the light as efficiently into the tank as possible. A watt of light costs a watt of light no matter which approach, NO, ODNO or PC, is used. ODNO has the advantage of low-ish start-up and bulb replacement costs, a narrow hood depth profile and continuous light across the tank. The two ways, I can think of, to get more bang out of my monthly bill is to have nothing between the light and the water or at least clean the glass regularly (my preferance with kids) and to use as effective a reflector as possible. With the montly cost of wpg going so high (especially in Maryland this year going unregulated) I think I want to shoot for as low a wattage as I can practically get away with using my pressurized CO2 and ferts -- probably in the 2.25 - 2.5 wpg range with a quality reflector for each bulb. I now have about 2.7 wpg in my 40 gallon with a single reflector (Coralife's Aqua-mirror) for 4 bulbs. I've been very satisfied with the plant growth. What do you think about this?

I have a couple of other questions:

1. Does anyone have a source recommendation for individual 48" bulb reflectors?

2. What would be the ODNO configuration I should be thinking of now with, say a goal of around 170 watts? Eg, (((32 watts x 2 ODNO ballast)x .88 efficiency)x .75 heat loss) 4 bulbs = 169 watts. In other words: 4 bulbs running on two ballasts. I'm just guessing here and would like confirmation or advice.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:08 AM   #25
gbhil
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
1. Does anyone have a source recommendation for individual 48" bulb reflectors?
SLS or Ice Cap T5 reflectors (see below). I prefer Ice Cap's, but both are amazing, and the best 20$ investment into your tank you will ever make.

Quote:
2. What would be the ODNO configuration I should be thinking of now with, say a goal of around 170 watts? Eg, (((32 watts x 2 ODNO ballast)x .88 efficiency)x .75 heat loss) 4 bulbs = 169 watts. In other words: 4 bulbs running on two ballasts. I'm just guessing here and would like confirmation or advice.
Wire 2 GE 6700k HOT5 lamps NO to each advance ballast, using one red/yellow and one blue/yellow lead. Leave the other leads unused and individually cap them off. With the reflectors, you'll get as much or more light from this as 4 T8's ran ODNO2X, at a much lower electricity cost. If you haven't yet bought the 2 advance ballasts, just get a Fulham longhorse 7 ballast and run 3 lamps under a coralife reflector.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #26
Peter
Algae Grower

GBHIL: Tell me more

You wrote: "Wire 2 GE 6700k HOT5 lamps NO to each advance ballast, using one red/yellow and one blue/yellow lead. Leave the other leads unused and individually cap them off. With the reflectors, you'll get as much or more light from this as 4 T8's ran ODNO2X, at a much lower electricity cost. If you haven't yet bought the 2 advance ballasts, just get a Fulham longhorse 7 ballast and run 3 lamps under a coralife reflector."

I couldn't find the bulbs/lamps when I googled them? Where do I get them and how much should they cost?. I'm interested in your 2nd option. Is that also using the GE HOT5 lamps? And how many watts would the set-up put out? Finally I'm the Fulham longhorse 7 is a 4 lamp ballast. How do you wire it with 3 lamps?

Thanks, Peter
Old 06-08-2006, 02:42 PM   #27
gbhil
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I couldn't find the bulbs/lamps when I googled them? Where do I get them and how much should they cost?
Your profile says Norway, but you say Maryland in your post. I'll assume your in the USA for the moment.

Bulbs $11.95 each- http://www.reefgeek.com/products/cat...ng/104048.html
Endcaps (cheap ones since you're using glass tops) $1.95 per set- http://www.reefgeek.com/products/cat...ng/104058.html
Ballast $35.95- http://www.reefgeek.com/products/cat...ng/100103.html

Quote:
Is that also using the GE HOT5 lamps? And how many watts would the set-up put out?
Yes, GE HOT5 Daylight lamps. They put out a nominal 54 watts each.
Ballast power factor for the Workhorse 7 is about .94 .
(54 x 3) x .94)= ~152 watts . IMHO a very effective med/high light setup for a standard 75 gallon tank.

Quote:
Finally I'm the Fulham longhorse 7 is a 4 lamp ballast. How do you wire it with 3 lamps?
Wiring diagram

What I like about this setup is later you can add another lamp and individual reflectors and have an intense high light setup. It's also econimical both in start-up costs as well as monthly running costs.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #28
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

There is a slight difference in the length of T5 (metric, shorter) so be prepared to modify the stock mounting points on the coralife reflector or buy the right end cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhil
just get a Fulham longhorse 7 ballast and run 3 lamps under a coralife reflector.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 AM   #29
Peter
Algae Grower

GBHIL: That was exactly the advice I was looking for when I started the thread. Thank you.

Peter