established water into a 2.5g?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
Psychotic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

established water into a 2.5g?

If i were to start up a 2.5G could i just take water from a established tank and just pour it in? Or would i have to start a cycle?
Psychotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
Psychotic
Algae Grower

bump
Old 04-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Water holds very little beneficial bacteria, so you'll have to cycle it. To expedite the cycle, transfer either filter media, gravel, or other things with surface area for bacteria to grow on.
82nd_Airborne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Psychotic
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82nd_Airborne View Post
Water holds very little beneficial bacteria, so you'll have to cycle it. To expedite the cycle, transfer either filter media, gravel, or other things with surface area for bacteria to grow on.
dam that sucks. i was hoping someone would say yes. Do you know how long the process would usually take?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Re: established water into a 2.5g?

Squeeze your dirty, established filter into your new tank, drop an algae disc in, wait for it to clear up (you have a filter on it right?) Do a fifty percent water change add a fish watch the water params. Shouldn't take anymore than a week.

---
I give my fish coffee
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
Psychotic
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLove View Post
Squeeze your dirty, established filter into your new tank, drop an algae disc in, wait for it to clear up (you have a filter on it right?) Do a fifty percent water change add a fish watch the water params. Shouldn't take anymore than a week.

---
I give my fish coffee
wont there be a ammonia spike that will hurt the fish tho? i havent decided what filter to do with yet. Might build one out of a canister ,or do the old fashion airstone filter
Old 04-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (431/100%)

Cycling an aquarium - even when adding bacteria - could take four weeks or longer. Each situation is different, so you'll have to monitor parameters for a few weeks to know when the tank is ready for livestock.

There's tons of information here on the forum about the fishless cycle. That's what I recommend, so you don't harm livestock in the process of cycling your tank.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
wont there be a ammonia spike that will hurt the fish tho? i havent decided what filter to do with yet. Might build one out of a canister ,or do the old fashion airstone filter
Most definitely there will be a spike, you shouldn't have any fish or inverts in the tank during this time.

The only exception is if you can take some media (sponge, floss, ceramic, etc) out of the filer on a well established tank and put it in the filter for this tank.

You can also use Tetra Safe-Start bacteria in a bottle, it works but I still would recommend hardy species only - a freshly cycled or speeded-up cycle tank just doesn't seem as stable as a tank that has been established for months.