Glasscages.com? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Personally I'd rather have a tank that cost less and has "sloppy" silicone but holds up. ADA you're paying for the name mostly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

i'd rather have a rimmed tank than a rimless that busts or one that was built sloppily
Old 04-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: Glasscages.com?

Or.. Just order the glass and build it yourself..

Can't beat their pricing even with delivery.

Keep in mind their delivery routes run along the i-40 route

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
antbug
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post
So I've been toying with planted tanks for a few months now. I'm ready to put together a setup, from the ground up. First step is the tank. Has anyone used glasscages.com? I'm looking at rimless w/starglass. I'm moving to palm springs ca. In June so local suggestions there would be nice too.
What size? That would help a lot to the advise that is being offered. When I was looking for a 48x18x18 starphire glass tank, I checked them all out including glasscages. For me ADA was the cheapest and it had the name for resale value. If I was looking for a bigger tank, this would be a whole different story.

Check out Lee Mar aquariums. I'm surprised Tom hasn't suggested them. I've see them up close and they are every bit as good as ADA if not better. I say better because they come with a "garden mat" pre-cut to size and it's attached to the bottom. ADA should tank note to this.

antbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Or.. Just order the glass and build it yourself..

Can't beat their pricing even with delivery.

Keep in mind their delivery routes run along the i-40 route

i asked about ordering some 6" x 6" glass for betta containers i wanted to build. they said no, not glass.. they would not ship it to me..

maybe pick up maybe different..

however..they would ship acrylic pieces if i wanted
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
Icefire

PTrader: (0/0%)

i have had a 180gal rimless (4'x3', 24" high) from glasscagescom for about 6 months now. the silicon is very neat, extra bracing on the bottom, with custom overflow, and in perfect condition. and that this size tank was made from 3/4" plate glass, it is truly built like a tank, and quite heavy. i paid a little extra to have it delivered to my job, so that i had access to a fork truck to unload it (considering that the tank weighed about 420 pounds or so).

when the wife allows, i will be getting another large tank from them.
Icefire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

Yea they won't *ship* glass due to chance of breakage, but they have a bunch of drop points.

Closest drop to me was about an hour south so I met their driver there and picked it up

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #23
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (260/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
What size? That would help a lot to the advise that is being offered. When I was looking for a 48x18x18 starphire glass tank, I checked them all out including glasscages. For me ADA was the cheapest and it had the name for resale value. If I was looking for a bigger tank, this would be a whole different story.

Check out Lee Mar aquariums. I'm surprised Tom hasn't suggested them. I've see them up close and they are every bit as good as ADA if not better. I say better because they come with a "garden mat" pre-cut to size and it's attached to the bottom. ADA should tank note to this.
There are 3 builders in the LA region at least that can build to higher standards than ADA.

Lee Mar, Charlie and and another company that starts with a V.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
zackariah
Planted Member

Antbug the size I'm thinking about is 36x36x18. I looked up lee mar. They only deal to retail stores. Thanks for all the replies. It seems that maybe ordering the the glass as nwa has suggested would be my best bet. It is true in most cases you get what you pay for. But in the case of the newest Jordan shoes what are you paying for? I admit the ADA tanks look good but I've also seen others that look just as good with out the tacky ADA emblem. I will contact gc to see if they have a drop off near me. I'm currently in el paso. Thanks again for all the input.

Thanks plantbrain ill check them out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.