Glasscages.com?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Glasscages.com?

So I've been toying with planted tanks for a few months now. I'm ready to put together a setup, from the ground up. First step is the tank. Has anyone used glasscages.com? I'm looking at rimless w/starglass. I'm moving to palm springs ca. In June so local suggestions there would be nice too.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

A lot of people have had a great experience with GC, they come highly recommended and it's hard to beat their prices. I believe there is a more local place out that way but I can't remember the company/person off the top of my head. Someone else will surely chime in and let you know though.
SouthernCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
AguaTropical
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

For such a cheap price, it probably isn't as good of quality as something a little more expensive. Not to say that it won't last or hold water, but the silicone work probably won't be as neat and various other small things like that.

I personally haven't used glasscages.com though, so it could very well be a different story.

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
AguaTropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
ETK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Check with them regarding shipping before you get to committed to one of their tanks. I was all set to buy there, but when I called them up they said they couldn't ship to my location in Southern CA. I went with a Mr. Aqua tank instead.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
jahmic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Re: Glasscages.com?

Hit or miss. A friend of mine cancelled an order recently since they kept pushing out the delivery date on a custom build. Eventually they refunded his money without any argument...good, but it also means they likely never even started his tank since they say no refunds on custom tanks.

I know someone else that promptly sold their new tank because the silicone job was a bit sloppy. Essentially... you get what you pay for. They're decent if your expectations match the price you're willing to pay.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
wesleh
Algae Grower

I purchased a 50g tank from them not to long ago for my breaded dragon and I have no complaints yet. The only thing is they dont ship unless you want to pay like $250 for insurance and etc but they do deliver to a lot of different states for $30 or so and they usually will go to your location once a month.
wesleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

They last longer than ADA tanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
merritt1985
Planted Member

I've gotten two tanks from them and although they have held up well the silicon was very sloppy. I live in the same town they are located in and thought i would stop by one day when they were having a walk in day. I was basically run off by an older lady. She told me that nobody was allowed there even though there website said that you could come by and look at there showroom for discounted tanks. The place looks like a something out of a horror movie anyways. Don't think i'll go that route again.
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

my local forum, has many horror storries from buying tanks through glasscages.

just a warning you pay for what you get
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

There is a point at which it is cheaper to buy an ADA tank. Their tank, smaller than a 45-F, is $100. Just buy ADA, GLA, Truaqua, or Schuberwright. Rimless, high quality, good customer service, and cheaper.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)

I bought from them years ago. Ordered a 'knock-down terrarium', came in with the frame cracked, but other than that, it was fine.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

does any other company offer an equivalent of their sapphire glass? I can't help but be interested by that.

...or is that not as big of a deal as glasscages makes it out to be?
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCichlids View Post
A lot of people have had a great experience with GC, they come highly recommended and it's hard to beat their prices. I believe there is a more local place out that way but I can't remember the company/person off the top of my head. Someone else will surely chime in and let you know though.
i hear more horror stories than not.

personally, i'd start looking for local glass places to see if they'd feel comfortable building a tank
Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
i hear more horror stories than not.

personally, i'd start looking for local glass places to see if they'd feel comfortable building a tank
none of the ones i called in austin, wanted the liability
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPDzeke View Post
There is a point at which it is cheaper to buy an ADA tank. Their tank, smaller than a 45-F, is $100. Just buy ADA, GLA, Truaqua, or Schuberwright. Rimless, high quality, good customer service, and cheaper.
So why did the ADA tank's seams bust out in less than 5 years on multiple tanks then and I've yet to hear this with GC tanks?

The silicone job might be sloppy, but you can trim this up some, but a pretty tank that falls apart is not worth much at all.

I go with custom made local builders and then tell them what I want and these tanks last.

that said, my 180 Gallon from GC is still doing quite well, the silicone was sloppy, the cut on one panel sloppy, but at least the tank's seams never busted. Cost? 1/3rd ADA or the custom builder.