ADA 60P|Ecoxotic E-series| PurpleMonkeyDishwasher - Page 25
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #361
kevreh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Hey, I was just wondering, since you're the master of LED disco/color, do you know of how I could add more red/green to my light? It's the Marineland reef capable, so it's really blue :/
Bserve,

Why dont you look into a diy solution? The you could add however many color leds you want. Plus you wouldn't need a very large power supply. Ledgroupbuy.com has everything you need, amongst other places. HTH
kevreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #362
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevreh View Post
Bserve,

Why dont you look into a diy solution? The you could add however many color leds you want. Plus you wouldn't need a very large power supply. Ledgroupbuy.com has everything you need, amongst other places. HTH

I am TERRIBLE at wiring though, haha. And I've run out of electrical outlets :P
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #363
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

i just totally spent my friday morning reading through this again.. haha the progress is impressive man.

how are you liking the new lights? i checked a us seller and apparently there are 2 versions a "color" and non color version apparently. i'm assuming you got the color version yea?
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #364
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ Thanks Gnod, glad you like it. I'm sort of on cruise control right now, just letting it do it's thing.

I got two of the colour version and I turn the blue down quite a bit. Pearling is more intense with the blue but that probably just because there is more light.

Results of the Race: Winner Glosso

=======

The glosso in the back were planted trimmings, glosso doesn't grow that fast.

About the LEDs:
A pet peeve of mine is the different colours when taking a picture. Unless you take a picture at the same time each day (no one does that) you will get different intensity. I have the ramp up and down at certain times with a "high light" period.

A good example is this picture, with higher white it looks like this,

The LEDs should be in the States, I think you guys have two distributors but I'm not sure if it's the older version. I'm actually trying to get a fellow member here some of these units, I think he can really showcase the lights.

Last edited by FlyingHellFish; 02-24-2014 at 02:05 AM.. Reason: Spelling, Grammar, what else?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:26 AM   #365
nate_werdy

Where did you get the 23 watt cfl lights?? I'm looking to do the same thing in a 60p I'm starting up soon.
nate_werdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #366
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Man those lights look so bad ass
Down_Shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #367
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_werdy View Post
Where did you get the 23 watt cfl lights?? I'm looking to do the same thing in a 60p I'm starting up soon.
Ikea, 10 bucks a pop. Don't use anything bigger than a 23watt, the light fixture will stick out of the reflector. Try to get the 6500K, or day time light as they call it.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #368
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

=======

=======

=======

I'm in need of a trim.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #369
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Wow, that is insanity right there
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #370
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

You should totally make a rotala jungle with a tiny bit of glosso in the front center
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #371
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

That actually sound pretty cool, if only I could somehow get glosso not to twist when it grows in the water column, I'll do it!

If anyone looking to grow a glosso carpet, do it! It's fast, easy to grow, and roots well.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:31 AM   #372
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

At first, I thought that the glosso had attempted to climb up the rotala. Hahaha
mistuhmarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #373
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your overgrown glosso drives me nuts! I'll trim it for you for free haha. If you do have plans to trim it, do so by clipping it close to the substrate leaving only it's runners. I like glosso for the fact that it can overgrow and still maintain health at substrate level, where as with HC you need to trim it low, and frequently, in order to avoid die off underneath. However, glosso grows too fast for my preference whereas HC is somewhat slower in moderate light. Glosso grows everywhere and infests the tank, HC is easier to control.
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #374
chris.rivera3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (134/100%)

How do you like the lights?? Any reviews??

@Brian_Cali --> Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' and Elatine Hydropiper are two completely different plants....they are also the exact opposite in size on the spectrum ('Monte Carlo' grows larger while elatine hydropiper/mini glosso is known as one of the smallest, if not the smallest, foreground plants)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Oh and for a carpet option, how about elatine triandra or Micranthemum
'Monte Carlo' (aka: Elatine hydropiper)? Or, UG (as what was suggested).
chris.rivera3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #375
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ It's great, I been meaning to do this infograph and realize I lost the write up I did. Not to worry, I'll just write it again.

Here some progression pictures.

=======

=======

=======

=======

=======

You have the option of ramping up and down the light intensity, while also controlling which "channels" are affected. I prefer to have a higher colour(RGB) compare to the blue(sub 400nm) spectrum. This is just my personal preference as I like the "pop" of the colour. Keep in mind, these Cree white LEDs are rated with a high CRI (Colour Rendering Index) so you are getting a close representation of the plant's colour. What I like to do is to up the colour (Osram LEDs) with a hint of blue to bring out the reds.

This is my recommendation to MicMol, I am trying to give them advice on producing a new fixture with a better focus on planted tanks.

Non-Offical - Mock Design by me.

I believe this fixture will be better suited to utilizing the full potential of the lights. The green and deep blue LEDs are not needed in my opinion as a higher number of white leds can full fill that part of the spectrum.

Here an interesting chart from the Aqua Journal Dec 11 issue. It explains how blue is used more than red, and how ADA is more focused on a "blue" hue in their lights. All rights belong to ADA and I am using this for educational purposes. Please don't sue.

Last edited by FlyingHellFish; 03-10-2014 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: Will remove the chart if requested.

Tags
ada 60p matheson