My ghost shrimp beat my Red Cherry Shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Chulios66
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My ghost shrimp beat my Red Cherry Shrimp

Well, this is kind of sad, but kind of good (just a little) at the same time. Why? because I put about 5 Red Cherry Shrimp inside of my guppy tank that is overpopulated with ramshorns(and guppies) along with 2 ghost shrimp that have been their. I have heard that Cherry's are hardy(which I believe) and that ghost shrimp die easily. Well, I tested them both to see if it was true and the red cherry shrimp died first. My recent test was 8.1 for pH and I have been told that the ghosties would usually die and parameters like that would be fine for the cherries(as they are hardy). I even drip accumulated the cherries for 30 min. I am not saying that I hate Red Cherry Shrimp, but I am just trying to stand up for ghost shrimp because of them dying too fast. I love Red Cherry Shrimp because of their beauty. I guess that the ghost shrimp didn't die because they probably adjusted themselves to the water quality. Just a thought All of my fish are healthy and the water is clear, not cloudy or dirty because leaving the fish in a tank like that would be wrong. I don't want to start fights with anyone on the forum about saying which is better so don't say anything if its a rude comment.
Chulios66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Could you imagine being in a tank that is over populated with fish that's number 1 goal is to eat you?
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Ghost shrimp tend to have poor survival rates when first introduced to tanks because of the incredibly poor handling they typically experience. Ghosts are more likely to be raised as feeders than anything else and seldom get treated as anything other than a very cheap, disposable commodity. It's why I buy my ghosts from chain stores rather than LFS's---the chain stores typically get smaller shipments and charge enough that folks aren't just buying 'em as feeders to the shrimp get slightly better handling. LFS's almost always have 'em as cheap feeders who aren't expected to survive more than a very short time.

Handled well, they're extremely hardy.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Chulios66
Planted Member

Last edited by Chulios66; 04-24-2013 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: made posting error
Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Chulios66
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
Ghost shrimp tend to have poor survival rates when first introduced to tanks because of the incredibly poor handling they typically experience. Ghosts are more likely to be raised as feeders than anything else and seldom get treated as anything other than a very cheap, disposable commodity. It's why I buy my ghosts from chain stores rather than LFS's---the chain stores typically get smaller shipments and charge enough that folks aren't just buying 'em as feeders to the shrimp get slightly better handling. LFS's almost always have 'em as cheap feeders who aren't expected to survive more than a very short time.

Handled well, they're extremely hardy.
+1 on your comment
Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
nerdariostomp
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah, my ghosts were troopers. They lived well over a year even from petsmart at .36 a piece. I only lost them after they changed tanks rather quickly due to emergency reasons
nerdariostomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdariostomp View Post
Yeah, my ghosts were troopers. They lived well over a year even from petsmart at .36 a piece. I only lost them after they changed tanks rather quickly due to emergency reasons
i lost 16 to what i'd agree to be poor handling as there were hundreds stuffed in a 10 gallon

2 to being eaten but i have 3 that are currently surviving quite well in my predator rich, super high co2 tank
Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 AM   #8
FWKiller
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I've been keeping Ghosts since I was a little kid and have always found them to be tough as nails. Used to enjoy watching them aggressively compete with mosquito fish for food. Raised several generations before I shut down the tanks when I left home. I can't say anything about Petsmart shrimp as I've always collected mine locally but in my experience as long as you have a good lid on the tank they are as hardy and entertaining aquarium critter as can be.
FWKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Chulios66
Planted Member

True about the ghost shrimp at petsmart. I think that the shrimp where kept in brackish like water so they have iodine to grow faster when they are in their larvae stage. So every time I go to petsmart, they are all dead because of them being introduced to freshwater too fast. I buy my ghost shrimp from Walmart because I never see any dead ones.