HDR Shots
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #1
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

HDR Shots

I just learned of this recently. I have photoshop and after combining the pic, quality really dies. Any pros here?

Maybe you can take my 3 shots and do a better job of combining? I think the main problem with mine is that I need to take them at the right location at the right time.

HDR edited pics, these are using a free program

(pics taken and converted from my bros phone, S2)

Using photoshop

A set of 3 originals. If you guys can convert and make it look better than mine, please post it here.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

PTrader: (10/100%)

If you're using Photoshop CS6 then the HDR is good. Photomatix is the leader in the software for HDR. The tone mapping is good in Photomatix.
I think Photomatix did the plug in for Adobe. Prior version stunk at HDR.
It's a matter of playing with the settings until you get what you want.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Ask yourself - what is HDR? Why should I use it?

With HDR you are trying to reduce the dynamic range of your subject, because it is too large to be captured with a regular sensor. This happens often with night shots, sunsets, backlight situations, etc. It helps to prevent blown-out highlights, while maintaining some detail in the deepest shadows.

Now if you start with an image that is already low on contrast, the results will be atrocious, as you show in your examples.

In your 3 shots, the mid exposure (first one) is fine - you want to use that as your starting point for further image editing, to reduce the flatness etc. Merging the over- and underexposed variations into this won't really do any good. Generally speaking, apart from the situations mentioned above, there are astonishingly few photos that gain a lot by applying HDR.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Ask yourself - what is HDR? Why should I use it?

With HDR you are trying to reduce the dynamic range of your subject, because it is too large to be captured with a regular sensor. This happens often with night shots, sunsets, backlight situations, etc. ...there are astonishingly few photos that gain a lot by applying HDR.

Yea thats what I thought Even with taking HDRs of random things I saw very little difference. Then I checked google images and many of them go along a certain theme you could say (sunsets, backlight situations...)

What I dont get is this pic. I clears out the blur, in my pics, its the opposite. Its taken during a cloudy day too. I guess its playing with photoshop settings.

Also, thanks for the response guys.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

That's not "true" HDR... as in, merging several shots to get something looking fake

Starting with CS5 Photoshop has an HDR filter (HDR toning) that can be applied to a single image. Most of the options totally destroy the photo, but there is one called local adaptation that is pretty good in faking a fake HDR look. Like you said, it is playing with the settings, but keep in mind that this is actually the opposite of what HDR is about: artificially increasing the dynamic range by combining bracketed shots.

IMO the best cure for flat pictures is in the Curves command, but that needs some experience. Less subtle ways include increasing saturation, adjusting levels, and applying various filters (Soft Light, for example).

None of this is true HDR...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

Quote:
That's not "true" HDR... as in, merging several shots to get something looking fake

Starting with CS5 Photoshop has an HDR filter (HDR toning) that can be applied to a single image. Most of the options totally destroy the photo, but there is one called local adaptation that is pretty good in faking a fake HDR look. Like you said, it is playing with the settings, but keep in mind that this is actually the opposite of what HDR is about: artificially increasing the dynamic range by combining bracketed shots.

IMO the best cure for flat pictures is in the Curves command, but that needs some experience. Less subtle ways include increasing saturation, adjusting levels, and applying various filters (Soft Light, for example).

None of this is true HDR...
CS5's "tone mapping" sucks though. 6 has much better algorithms.
HDR tries to expand the range. And in many photos is the only way to achieve the right look. The sensor can't capture any where near what the human eye sees. HDR done right looks good. Your trying to pop the color and get detail in the highlights and shadows. Some images I see HDR would have been better by double processing instead.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
HDR tries to expand the range.

The sensor can't capture any where near what the human eye sees.
I guess its semantics... The sensor can't capture it all because the dynamic range of the subject is too wide/large/big to start with. So you are taking several shots to effectively reduce the existing dynamic range of the subject and fit it in one image. Looking from the subject POV you are trying to reduce the range, as a result you effectively increase the range that the sensor would not have been able to capture in a single image.

My point is that HDR is for high contrast pictures, not to fix flat ones (which one might conclude from "tries to expand the range").

Well now I need another coffee.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

Quote:
I guess its semantics... The sensor can't capture it all because the dynamic range of the subject is too wide/large/big to start with. So you are taking several shots to effectively reduce the existing dynamic range of the subject and fit it in one image. Looking from the subject POV you are trying to reduce the range, as a result you effectively increase the range that the sensor would not have been able to capture in a single image.

My point is that HDR is for high contrast pictures, not to fix flat ones (which one might conclude from "tries to expand the range").

Well now I need another coffee.
Mmmmm Coffee.

Although I do a lot of HDR for clients I personally don't like 9 out of 10 that I do. They love them. Makes me ill to do but money is money.
Like you said, you need shots that are taken specifically for HDR post and good shots at that. (People takes shots specifically for HDR but they aren't worth a tinker's dam.)
I get this really strange vibe that we might, just might actually agree on this HDR crap. But I could be wrong. It happened once. In 1809.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Im more of a fan of the realistic HDR shots.. where its brings out the details in highlight/lowlights but doesnt push it to far as to look fake
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

Here's a few I took using the HDR function on my d7100. I really really like the fake HDR look

Haven't tried out photoshop yet
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dang 1st pic looks epic. Mind posting the original with normal saturation?

Yes I agree with the "fake". My goal is to get a sunset shot of a street after a rain storm (roads all wet). The one pic I saw on google was epic. But in the end, after fiddling with photoshop settings, the pic looks better.