Newbie looking for suggestions - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Illinois

Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #16
MichaelMcG
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

wow that's some set up you got there!! lol I too am jealous. I hope to see a tank journal with pics while setting it up

Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
maximak2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I will take some pics once I get all the occupants out and get the tank cleaned up. Which may take a week or two.
maximak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #18
Finkelstein
Algae Grower

I'm in Woodridge, and I have Purple Cabomba that's growing like an absolute weed in my tank. I could get you some on the cheap if you're interested.

http://imgur.com/a/2gLlW - This tank is a little less then a month old.
Finkelstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
maximak2
Algae Grower

Finkelstein- Thanks for the offer, but I do not think that i am going to be ready for a week or 2. I just sold off the rocks, and I need to drain and clean the tank. The cleaning is the worst part, the coralline on the glass is a pain.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #20
Finkelstein
Algae Grower

I'll have some then too. Just let me know if you want some.
Finkelstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #21
maximak2
Algae Grower

Update-
Tank has been emptied and is now full of fresh water. I am just cleaning and trying to get rid of all the salt. I expect to start hardscaping this weekend. I drained it of saltwater today and it took me 2 hours of siphoning to get all the water out. Right now it is full of fresh water and muriatic acid to break down the corraline.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #22
Freyr
Algae Grower

As far as cost effective substrate, nothing better than miracle gro with some nice small grade gravel. ADA Aquasoil is quite expensive, and I have doubts that its worth it. I just added some red clay and root tabs to my potting soil, and all my plants have done great.

If you're trying to keep down electric costs, gotta go with a good led fixture. Much less energy consumption. I'm switching from t5s to a Ray2 on my 20 gal, I'm curious to see the difference in my bill
Old 05-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #23
maximak2
Algae Grower

So far I have eliminated 8 pumps from the tank, which is a good starting point. I have finished (so I think) hardscaping and filling the tank. I just used topsoil and a sand gravel mix that I found. The only issue now is that the water is red, seems to be tannins as nothing filters it out. Any one locally stock purigen? AA in Bolingbrook is out of stock.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #24
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I'd suggest a full drain & refill before going to chemical support. Had you posted you substrate plan, I would have advised rinsing the dirt prior to filling.

I would suggest that when you plant plant heavily and include copious amounts of Hornwort to act as a nutrient mop. Once you get cycled and the plants get growing you can reduce the Hornwort eventually removing it.

Last edited by DogFish; 05-12-2013 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: grammer
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #25
maximak2
Algae Grower

Hey Dogfish, I have drained and refilled three times. While the clarity gets better each time, I can only see about 6 inches into the tank. In hind sight I should have rinsed the soil, but now I have to pay the piper. Is this a tannin issue, or a nutrient issue? or both? I will look into hornwort tomorrow. My Wife keeps telling me that it looks like a martian tank, as the water is literally red. LOL.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Something doesn't sound right. After 3 flushes it should NOT be so bad. Was that just Topsoil or did it have Manure or Peat in it? Peat will tannin tint water. When I make MTS (Dirt) I start with HomeDepot Top Soil $1.37 for 40#. Each bag will have several late handfuls of Stick fragments when rinse the dirt in a bucket to flat them out. I usually get sever handfuls of rocks. In the initial rinse I get about 1" of foam as I swirl the dirt in the water with my mixing stick ( a 2x2"). All those undesirable elements are removed/poured off.

Your at a crossroads now Chemical Warfare vs. Labor Hours to pull it apart and rinse or replace the dirt.

Whatever "fresh" dirt you use you will get a radical ammonia spike. You can read about the benefits of Hornwort on my Toxic Ten Journal. That tank arguably had the most organic material in a substrate of all tanks on this forum. I give the Hornwort much of the credit along with hours of research prior to the build.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote