I'm changing to Pressurized Co2, was wondering if this equipment is ok?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm changing to Pressurized Co2, was wondering if this equipment is ok?

hey all!

i am changing to a pressurized co2 setup, i already have the tank, i just need the rest of the stuff,

- Regulator
- Needle valve
- bubble counter
- Drop checker
- solenoid

i live in canada, so shipping to here is a must ofcourse. i found this shop that has kind of a whole setup in one go, i was wondering if it was good quality? if im spending the money i want to do it right the first time!

here is the setup

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ID=cr-ppmilreg

if this one isnt good, can someone show me what would be a better way to go?

thanks!
CanuckGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
nameless?
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

That combo really isn't great quality. A lot of people have used it without problems, but it can and often is a bit of a pain to get working. I have one on my grow-out tank which has no livestock and I've noticed the following things:

The high-pressure gauge just stopped working one day and now won't read higher than 300psi even on a fresh tank that reads 800 psi with my dual-stage regulator.

The needle valve takes a great deal of fiddling before you get the right amount of flow additionally it needs to be regularly adjusted or the flow rate changes.

This is a single-stage regulator and not a particularly good one at that and will see a substantial pressure spike when your co2 tank pressure starts to drop below 800psi. (Search "End of tank dump" for more details). This means if you don't check the tank pressure regularly you may accidentally end up gassing your livestock.

Those reasons are why I use a dual-stage regulator on my tank with livestock and this on my grow-out tank without livestock. It is seriously worth considering spending $200-400 on a good dual-stage regulator setup with a good needle value, since if you for some reason need to sell the setup chances are you can get close to what you paid for it.
nameless? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
rstewart8
Algae Grower

I just bought the same setup and have it running on my 55 as we speak, had no issues with it thus far and its been up and running for almost a week now.
rstewart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless? View Post
That combo really isn't great quality. A lot of people have used it without problems, but it can and often is a bit of a pain to get working. I have one on my grow-out tank which has no livestock and I've noticed the following things:

The high-pressure gauge just stopped working one day and now won't read higher than 300psi even on a fresh tank that reads 800 psi with my dual-stage regulator.

The needle valve takes a great deal of fiddling before you get the right amount of flow additionally it needs to be regularly adjusted or the flow rate changes.

This is a single-stage regulator and not a particularly good one at that and will see a substantial pressure spike when your co2 tank pressure starts to drop below 800psi. (Search "End of tank dump" for more details). This means if you don't check the tank pressure regularly you may accidentally end up gassing your livestock.

Those reasons are why I use a dual-stage regulator on my tank with livestock and this on my grow-out tank without livestock. It is seriously worth considering spending $200-400 on a good dual-stage regulator setup with a good needle value, since if you for some reason need to sell the setup chances are you can get close to what you paid for it.

do you think i would be better off with this one?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=cr-pprnvs

it doesnt come with a bubble counter. but is this what you were talking about?

where did you buy your setup? i will spend up to 175 for the rest of my setup MAX
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
nameless?
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGame View Post
do you think i would be better off with this one?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...t_ID=cr-pprnvs

it doesnt come with a bubble counter. but is this what you were talking about?

where did you buy your setup? i will spend up to 175 for the rest of my setup MAX
That's dual gauge, not dual stage, it is still a single stage regulator. I bought mine off of someone on these forums a while ago and paid $205 w/ shipping for a dual-stage regulator, with a decent needle valve, solenoid and some co2 tubing.

If you're unwilling to source parts to put your own setup together (which maybe difficult since you're in Canada, I don't know I haven't tried), I don't see any advantage of the 2nd one you linked vs the first one.
nameless? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's not that hard to source parts in Canada. I put one together mostly with things from e bay. All the common fittings can be found at a hardware store, or check out Acklands-Grainger for fittings as well.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
shift
Wannabe Guru

Canadian aquatics sells systems to.. Not sure what brand of gear they use
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What part of Canada Canuckgame?
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

i am in Kamloops, BC

i am willing to piece it all togeather, it just seems harder as i dont have any knowledge in this area yet, i have my tank already so i just want this to go easy and fast haha!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default I'm changing to Pressurized Co2, was wondering if this equipment is ok?

I bought from GLA the following
"Ideal CO2 Regulator" GLA - cornelius + Ideal valve + bubble counter + CO2 diffuser 5000 model, check valve and seals includes shipping $332 CDN plus tax and brokerage $90

This has been running solid since Jan 2010, with no issues. I live in Canada and decided buy something that works and will last.

I am glad I didn't go cheaper as its been trouble free and don't need to fiddle with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #11
Christo

I bought the Ultimate CO2 system from Green Leaf Aquariums. http://greenleafaquariums.com/. Nice stuff! Works great. Easy to setup. Electronic monitor for the pH level. Upgraded to the 10 gallon tank. It's a very easy to use, high quality, turnkey system. Very good customer service as well. They respond to emails quickly. I bought a glass intake that was broken when it arrived and they refunded my money right away when I email them.
Christo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:01 AM   #12
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

those systems at GLA look amazing.. should i just suck it up, and pay the 250.00+ for one of those?

or are there better options? i really was hoping to get a good regulator+extras for 175.00 or under including shipping.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Christo

Suck it up! Buy quality, cry once. Buy junk, cry forever. (Not that I'm calling anything junk. Just a saying). Time is my issue. Don't want to spend extra time setting up, tweaking, monitoring or repairing. GLA system covers it all. Quick set up, the 10 gal co2 tank lasts a long time, electronic ph monitor shuts off the system at your predetermined ph level. Double regulator and needle valve allow for minute adjustments with a turn of the knob. Once set up, it takes ZERO of my time.
Christo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
shift
Wannabe Guru

If you dont want to deal with customs... JL aquatics and Canadian aquatics both sell setups
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:36 AM   #15
CanuckGame
Algae Grower

ok, im biting the bullet and buying the "Ideal" from GLA 300 big ones after shipping. OUCH....

since im spending freely hahaha

does anyone have a suggestion for a diffuser, and drop checker from GLA? or are there better options for a better price? i bought one of those 5.99 glass ceramic diffusers on ebay and thats what i have set up to my DIY right now, the bubbles that come out are not very small though so im assuming i need a better diffuser.

should i buy a diffuser and drop check from GLA? or is there a cheaper, still efficient way too go?

am i finally done after this? haha

co2 tank
"Ideal" regulator
drop checker
diffuser

do i need a PH control?

i hope im done after this, my wallet cant take much more hahahah considering i was planning on buying a new tank for this setup (500+ for a 75 gallon with stand) then from what i see substrate is CRAZY expensive for a planted tank, damn!