Are my water conditioners bad for planted tanks?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 11-20-2003, 03:24 AM   #1
Sumpin'fishy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just read an article talking about being careful about which water conditioner you use to treat your tap water. They said it's best to use a simple dechlorinator in planted tanks because if the conditioner binds heavy metals, it can make them unavailable to plants. Anyone found this to be true? I was also wondering whether ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate removal are beneficial features of a planted tank conditioner?

I currently use PRIME by Seachem. It's one of those "all-in-one" recipes. It removes Chloramine, Chlorine, and Ammonia. It "detoxifies" Nitrite and Nitrate. It also provides a Slime Coat. Another cheap water conditioner I use is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals "Tap Water Conditioner". I usually just use this to add to small quantities of water like what I fill my canister or buckets with, since it only takes one drop per gallon. This one Removes Chlorine, breaks the Chloramine Bond, and Detoxifies Heavy Metals. Should I be looking for another conditioner? I have not noticed any problems in my planted tanks (or even my FO tanks), but I was wondering if maybe I'm wasting fertilizers compensating for these losses? I understand how it's easier for plants to utilize ammonia rather than nitrate. Am I really losing anything beneficial?
Luke 19:10 NIV
Sumpin'fishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2003, 03:44 AM   #2
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I used both of those, and keep the Prime on hand just in case.

If you decide to go cheaper, you can get 5 lbs of Sodium Thiosulphate; 4 oz makes a quart, use at 1 drop per gallon....so, let's see, ~60 drops/teaspoon x 3 teaspoon/tablespoon x 16 tablespoon/ cup x 4 cup/ qt and 5 lbs makes 20 quarts...

Holy Cow! Treats 230,400 gallons of water. That should last me about 4500 years.

You wanna buy some sodium thiosulphate? I got a bit to spare!
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.