New Fluval Plant LED- no par data available - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #31
richlids

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm considering getting two of the nano
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Daylight-Aqualife-Plant-Aquarium/dp/B00BNRZB0S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2IDL5N0N5JIS4&coliid=I2H2J8HM82EQWI http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Daylight-Aqualife-Plant-Aquarium/dp/B00BNRZB0S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2IDL5N0N5JIS4&coliid=I2H2J8HM82EQWI
lights for a 12 gallon long aquarium. Do you guys think that I would need to use CO2 to keep down algae levels with this setup or would I be okay just using shrimp to keep algae under control?
richlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #32
Dallen33
Algae Grower

Just bought the 48" Full spectrum plant model. I have only had it on the tank for a few days but I am very impressed with the build quality and light output thus far.
Dallen33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #33
donnadbb
Algae Grower

Update:

Talked with a fluval representative and she assured me that they were still going to test for PAR values but at this time there is still no data available. That being said I am having a hard time getting my tank balanced without understanding the lighting specifics. Should I assume low light or is it more like medium light? Looking for any information from those who already own the light.

I am also willing to test my light if someone wants to send me a PAR meter .
donnadbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #34
mbglosta
Algae Grower

I also have had the 24" version over my 29 G high. As a beginner, keep coming back to this thread to see if I'm in the " enough" light category. See my profile and plants below. I was overdosing I believe. Added Flourish Root tabs and now just try to dose Excel. Some plants getting holes, but it's fairly new, and not done cycling. Some red algae also. I'll ride it out, and try not to " muscle" the plants into growing. Was using Flourish Iron, and just got their Trace also.
mbglosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #35
Positron
Planted Member

Do the smart thing, and if you want high light 18-20 inches down simply get a ray 2. Couple it with accent rgb for color. You'll spend less and we all know the output of finnex.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

i have this fixture on my 20L. pressurized co2(about 2bps) turned on 1 hour before lights/off 30 minutes before lights, K/P/Trace dosing twice a week (tap water has plenty of nitrates already), 50% WC every Sunday.

When i started my tank over from scratch the growth was very strong and fast, then i got overwhelmed with algae. I have since been able to reduce and somewhat control the algae issue and my plants seem to be taking off again after sticking to a strict schedule.

From the research I have done since buying this LED in April, I have found that it is considered low light. However, considering I have it on a 20L it is giving me a little more light at the substrate.

I also read comments from other people and many have emailed fluval questioning their neglect of PAR. Everyone received the same response from fluval stating they would release PAR data in June 2013. Well...it's now almost October.

Another response from fluval stated that pressurized co2 is only recommended if you have two of these fixtures on your tank.

I'm still waiting for the PAR data, as are many of you. But this is what little information I can give back!

Last edited by jbig; 09-24-2013 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Forgetfulness
jbig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #37
mikestropicalfish
Algae Grower

well, I am going to toss two 24" models on a 37 tall for an in-shop planted display, and I will let you guys know my results. I have the 48" one on my 55 plant "for sale" tank and it looks good, but nothing is in there very long to see growing results. my initial thoughts are that the marineland plant LED with timer(not doublebright) has more penetrating power, but the overall spectrum of the fluval seems better. I will post as time tells.
mikestropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #38
xchasa
Algae Grower

Here is the par chart from Fluval.
I was hesitant to buy this light but I'm glad I did.
Par chart does not do it justice.
I was running 4 x 54w t5ho and I'd say it's as good as running 3, not quite as much pearling as 4 but better than 2. Very nice colours.
Attached Images

Last edited by xchasa; 11-21-2013 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
xchasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #39
xchasa
Algae Grower

Colours are more natural, does not seem as bright but I think that has something to do with the par specific led's used.
*Update.
Had to turn my CO2 up a fraction from what it was when running 4 x 8 month old T5HO's. No changes to tank other than adding the light. Growth is good. Very happy so far and don't think I even need the extra light I thought I might.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0619.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	236514  

Name:	DSC_0620.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	236522  

Last edited by xchasa; 11-26-2013 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 11-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #40
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchasa View Post
I was hesitant to by this light but I'm glad I did.
I was running 4 x 54w t5ho and I'd say it's as good as running 3, not quite as much pearling as 4 but better than 2. Very nice colours.

FINALLY!!! Thanks!
jbig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #41
greggg25
Algae Grower

i deal with numbers all day and cant understand that par chart . i have the same fluval on a 55 running pressurized co2 ... plants were growing nuts at first , i get some pearling , not as much as i could , im guessing if i added a satellite + and turned it to full spec i could have high light and more reds , i see finnex runs 660nm red pretty high our fluvals seem to lack the red if im reading that right
greggg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #42
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchasa View Post
I was hesitant to buy this light but I'm glad I did.
Yeah where did you find this PAR chart? I've been wanting fluval to release those numbers. I'd have to agree though, terrible PAR chart. It only shows values from 6" distance (if I'm understanding that chart correctly). Who has a 6" tall tank anyways? Lol

Were there other charts with more realistic distances from light to substrate?

I do like that they show the drop off in PAR the further away you get from center. I'll give fluval that for creativity.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #43
xchasa
Algae Grower

I contacted fluval via email and they sent it to me. It's the only chart available they said. I was hesitant to buy but glad I did.
I'm getting great growth with pps pro ferts and pressurized co2.
My Australian native Val grew 25cm in one week. It's behind the corkscrew Val.
Corkscrew Val has sent out many runners in one week too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0632.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	239585  

Last edited by xchasa; 11-26-2013 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Edit
Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #44
mikestropicalfish
Algae Grower

Name:	DSCF6002.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	240073

Name:	DSCF6003.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	240081

I have these fluvals on my 55 plant sellin' tank and two of the 24" versions on my 37 tall planted display(yes, its pretty tall for these lights but let's see what they can do!)...they are ok but not outstanding in my opinion.
mikestropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #45
cfranco-p
Algae Grower

Hello,

I would like to buy a LED lamp for my aquarium. The water height is 50cm (20 in), and the aquarium lenght is 115cm (45 in). I have pressurized CO2 system.

I saw the PAR chart, but it only shows the PAR at 15cm (6 in) deep, so it is almost useless. Can somebody give me an advise to buy Fluval Plant LED or other plant led lamp???

I would like to have medium or medium high light level.

Thank you.

C.F.
cfranco-p is online now   Reply With Quote