New Fluval Plant LED- no par data available - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

I also contacted Fluval out of curiosity for the PAR data but the one time they responded they told me PAR was a minor concern for plant growth and did not record that data.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Canoe2Can
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval LED lamp came in the mail today. It seems well made, fairly hefty, with a good heat sink design. The box has spectral graph info for all the constituent types of LEDs, and it does have good peaks in the red and blue areas. So far nothing to tell me it was a bad choice, but it will be at least a few weeks before I get the tank up and running.
Canoe2Can is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
nofearengineer
Aquatic Vegetable

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
I also contacted Fluval out of curiosity for the PAR data but the one time they responded they told me PAR was a minor concern for plant growth and did not record that data.
Now that's funny.

Do they not realize how many customers they lose when they say things like that?
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Now that's funny.

Do they not realize how many customers they lose when they say things like that?
No idea. They wanted me to look at the spectrum data and were more concerned about wattage and lumens.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #20
Falconeyes88
Algae Grower

I just bought the 24in for my 10 gallon that I want to start/plant. can I do carpet plants with this light/12in height?
Falconeyes88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #21
mobruler78
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Not sure why you would consider spending more money on this over a Finnex Fugeray, Ray 2 or Monster Ray fixture?
mobruler78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #22
Eeyore
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I sent them an email asking for PAR info and got this in response:

We thank you for taking the time to contact us.
We are in the process of generating PAR values which will be available soon. Please stay in touch with Customer Service in the interim, thanks for you patience, we expect to have our values available by the end of June 2013. In the meantime you can rest assured our spectrum and color temperature is ideal for most aquatic plants, one strip the length of your aquarium for slow to medium growth rate plants, two strips for plants that are fast growing and supplied with CO2 injection.
Thank you,
Lisa Emery
Customer Service Dept.
Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp.

So it sounds like it is only good for low-light plants, unless you want to buy two units. By the time you buy two, you might as well get a Ray II or something similar.
55 gal planted community tank, 46 gal Angel tank, 10 gal planted Cherry tank. 10 gal planted tank currently housing 5 juvie Koi Angelfish. Two empty 55 gals, one 20 long cycling for CRS, and a 5 gal waiting to house dwarf crayfish.

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #23
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

anyone have anymore info on these? i've had one on my 20L (since around the time they came out) and my plants have been doing well...still looking for opinions from others as i am no expert on lighting. any one find any PAR data yet?

i'm growing mainly low light plants.

i tore my tank down about a month ago and replanted, rescaped, ect. Installed pressurized co2 as well...

was having great growth with pressurized and this light but things seem to have slowed down a bit...
jbig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #24
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
I sent them an email asking for PAR info and got this in response:

We thank you for taking the time to contact us.
We are in the process of generating PAR values which will be available soon. Please stay in touch with Customer Service in the interim, thanks for you patience, we expect to have our values available by the end of June 2013. In the meantime you can rest assured our spectrum and color temperature is ideal for most aquatic plants, one strip the length of your aquarium for slow to medium growth rate plants, two strips for plants that are fast growing and supplied with CO2 injection.
Thank you,
Lisa Emery
Customer Service Dept.
Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp.

So it sounds like it is only good for low-light plants, unless you want to buy two units. By the time you buy two, you might as well get a Ray II or something similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbig View Post
anyone have anymore info on these? i've had one on my 20L (since around the time they came out) and my plants have been doing well...still looking for opinions from others as i am no expert on lighting. any one find any PAR data yet?

i'm growing mainly low light plants.

i tore my tank down about a month ago and replanted, rescaped, ect. Installed pressurized co2 as well...

was having great growth with pressurized and this light but things seem to have slowed down a bit...
I'd contact Fluval.
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

for interest... fluval marketing blurb..

one more 16,000k LED.. closest I could find fast..uses 6 blue 6 white led's

Can't find a chart of just an 15oook LED.. odd... another way to "make it" though..
Quote:
Equipped with 42 white LEDs (6500K), 20 blue
LEDs (470nm) with 750 lumens. This combination
yields a color temperature of approx. 15,000K.
close enough:

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-31-2013 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: bulb
jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #26
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

It shows an over abundance of blue spectrum but very low red... Although they do cover the spectrum, the intensity in the kelvin for plants seem inadequate. I hope i am wrong on this as the fixture looks really well made and sturdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
for interest... fluval marketing blurb..

one more 16,000k LED.. closest I could find fast..uses 6 blue 6 white led's

Can't find a chart of just an 15oook LED.. odd... another way to "make it" though..

close enough:
Old 08-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #27
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
It shows an over abundance of blue spectrum but very low red... Although they do cover the spectrum, the intensity in the kelvin for plants seem inadequate. I hope i am wrong on this as the fixture looks really well made and sturdy.
I've seen a lot worse.. At that price though (and using small diodes) I'd have hoped that they used 660nm red ...I guess the point is a bit arguable..

jeffkrol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #28
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, as long as you have both, plants will grow too.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #29
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

i originally had the double bright model and exchanged it for the aqualife and plant life model. almost wish i had stuck with the double bright at this point.
jbig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #30
howie
Algae Grower

i just bought a 24 inch and have it over a 29 gallon tank. it previously had a coralife dual bright on a low light shrimp tank. i used only one bulb on the coralife. i only had it for 2 days so far, brighter than the coralife and whiter light than i expected. the unit design is nice for the price and slime line design is nice. also the light all goes into the tank. i don't get the ambient light bleeding above the tank. the top of the fixture gets hot. i think the enclosure is made of aluminum so the heat can be removed without fans. light heat from the actual light below. since my tank has mainly java ferns i don't see fast growth. in this tank that is not what i want anyway. i am think about getting another one for a tank of crypts.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.