crshadow's Tetra Breeding Project *56K Warning!* - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-26-2006, 06:43 AM   #31
crshadow
Plant Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)

On to more updates:

On day 5 I had another interesting situation occur. Around midday, I was checking the cardinal tank and to my surprise I found about 5 eggs strewn about. They looked a little opaque and at first I didn't realize that they were eggs at all. I retreived the eggs and held them to the light and it looks like there was perhaps an embryo inside of each of them. However, the eggs did not look too good as they were not clear like the glowlight eggs. I put the eggs in another vial with tank water + RO to see what would happen. Unfortunately, by the next day, the eggs had not hatched and had turned completely white. I'm guessing either they were damaged by the light in the cardinal tank, or more likely, that I just didn't get to them in time, and the water was too hard for them to hatch.

Last edited by crshadow; 05-26-2006 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Bad grammar as a result of lack of sleep. :)
crshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2006, 06:53 AM   #32
crshadow
Plant Grower

Here are two shots from Day 6 (5/24/2006):

Old 05-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #33
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

This is too cool. Great fun to follow!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #34
Canoe2Can
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

My experience with glowlights is that it's not hard to get them to spawn. Some peat in the tank or the filter seems to be the major condition for spawning to occur, though a cool water change helps. I used to have a half dozen in a planted 30 gallon, and I would see them spawn regularly. And usually most of the eggs were eaten before they hit the gravel!

But raising the fry of any tetra is much more challenging. Best of luck to you. You just might have inspired me to find a use for my empty tanks.
Canoe2Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:09 PM   #35
crshadow
Plant Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
This is too cool. Great fun to follow!
Thanks, Bob! I'm hoping everyone has fun watching this thread progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe2Can
My experience with glowlights is that it's not hard to get them to spawn. Some peat in the tank or the filter seems to be the major condition for spawning to occur, though a cool water change helps. I used to have a half dozen in a planted 30 gallon, and I would see them spawn regularly. And usually most of the eggs were eaten before they hit the gravel!

But raising the fry of any tetra is much more challenging. Best of luck to you. You just might have inspired me to find a use for my empty tanks.
Poor eggs! Although that's not surprising, I'm sure they're tasty and nutritious. In fact, this may be why I only found only a handful of eggs... It'd be nice if I'd be lucky enough to catch them in the act.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I'm flattered, if I manage to inspire people to try spawning these, than this thread has been a success!

-Jeremiah
Old 05-31-2006, 01:39 AM   #36
shuks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

updates....?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:47 AM   #37
crshadow
Plant Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
updates....?
Sorry to leave everyone hanging. I'll try and post an update later on tonight or tomorrow.

-Jeremiah
Old 06-02-2006, 03:25 AM   #38
crshadow
Plant Grower

Whew, I've fallen behind on updates as it's currently day 14 since the glowlights hatched, yet I've only posted up to day 6!

Okay, here's the scoop.

Day 6 continued: Since the cardinal eggs failed to hatch on the previous day (5/23/2006), I decided to dig out my TDS meter, which I hadn't used thus far, to take some more accurate measurements. I tested the vial in which the glowlights hatched, the vial in which the cardinals did not hatch, the water in the glowlight tank, and the water in the cardinal tank. The TDS results were as follows:

Glowlight Vial: 287 ppm (Hatching Successful)
Cardinal Vial: 281 ppm (Hatching Unsuccessful)
Glowlight Tank: 612 ppm
Cardinal Tank: 587 ppm
My Normal Tap: 545 ppm

You might remember me mentioning that I diluted the vial water (which came originally from each respective tank) with RO water as well as diluting the tanks themselves... Well, based on the results, it seems that despite diluting the water in the tank, it was not diluted enough. In fact, for the tank water to have a higher TDS after diluting than my normal tap without dilution tells me that I must have topped off evaporated water a few times too many in the past! I knew that I had not added as much RO water to the tanks as I did to the vials, but I didn't expect them to differ quite that much... I never saw any fry darting about the glowlight tank, and the high TDS might be the reason why. Further, although the TDS of 287 in the glowlight vial was low enough for them to hatch, it seems that it might still be too high for cardinal eggs to hatch. More experimentation would be necessary to be certain.

With this new information in hand, I did another water change on the glowlight and cardinal tanks thus reducing the TDS in both to about 200 ppm. This way, if the glowlights spawn again, any eggs remaining in the tank will have a pretty good chance of hatching. Plus if the cardinals spawn again, I can dilute water in a vial to an even lower TDS.

-Jeremiah
Old 06-02-2006, 04:02 AM   #39
crshadow
Plant Grower

And now some pics from Day 7 (5/25/2006)

I was a little worried about the size of the microworms I had been feeding. One of the glowlights was not looking too good and was just laying on the bottom a lot, so I was worried whether it had gotten enough food. On the flip side, I was able to confirm that the healthy fry was eating as I finally actually witnessed him chomping on a worm. The healthy fry had been exhibiting normal fish hunting behavior since day 5, but this was the first time I got to see the kill. Of course when they are this size it's hard to see anything without melting my eyes.

You can see from the pics that the microworms do seem small enough for the fry, so I think this diet will work for now. Unfortunately, the unhealthy fry passed away the next day. With a sample size of only 2 fish, it's hard to say for certain that lack of food was a cause though.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:25 AM   #40
crshadow
Plant Grower

5/26/2006: (Glowlight Day 8)

Starting from Day 5, I slowly increased the amount of light exposure to the glowlight fry until this day. From this point on, the fry received normal lighting levels with no apparent ill effects.

This day also brought another cardinal spawn! This spawn, like the last one was quite small, as I only found about 5 or so eggs. They did not look too great this time around either. I placed them in a vial diluted to about 150ppm. Unfortunately, they did not hatch, and a couple of them fungused. I'll have to try some methylene blue next time around to help prevent fungus.

This photo shows one of the cardinal eggs. As you can see it's not completely clear, and there is an irregular shaped splotch on/in it.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #41
crshadow
Plant Grower

5/28/2006: Yet another cardinal spawn today! This is the largest one yet, as I was able to find about 20 to 30 eggs. I divided these among 4 separate vials in order to test various conditions as follows:

- Tank Water (220 ppm)
- Tank Water + Methylene Blue (220 ppm)
- Diluted Tank Water (120 ppm)
- Diluted Tank Water + Meth Blue (120 ppm)

The results? No hatchings in any of the vials! Arrgh.... There are a few possibilities I can think of.

- TDS of 120 ppm is still too high.
- Possibly overdosed Methylene Blue in the two vials.
- Fungus killed the eggs in the vials without Meth Blue.
- Eggs weren't fertile.

Of these possibilities, I feel the most likely are that the TDS is too high, or perhaps even more likely, that the eggs simply weren't fertile. I'll try the next spawn with even softer water to see what happens. Now if the eggs were infertile, this could be for a few reasons.

- Females were carrying old and/or calcified eggs as a result of not spawning for a while. If this is the case, then hopefully any new eggs generated will be healthy, now that these have been cleared out.
- Males need more practice. (Doubtful but possible)
- Males, and perhaps even females are beyond their breeding prime.
- Perhaps I have no males at all.
- Water parameters are not suitable for the sperm.

Ultimately I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:14 AM   #42
shuks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

noob questin: whats TDS and methylene blue?

Quote:
- Males need more practice. (Doubtful but possible)
Thats hellarious (however you spell it)...lol
Old 06-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #43
crshadow
Plant Grower

5/28/2006 Continued: (Glowlight Day 10)

Nothing much new with the glowlight fry. He's still alive and kicking. The early fast rate of development seems to have slowed. Judging from the pictures, the fry's belly seems to be round and full, so I assume "he" is eating enough.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #44
crshadow
Plant Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
noob questin: whats TDS and methylene blue?

Thats hellarious (however you spell it)...lol
Sorry, I should have explained these a little better. TDS is short for Total Dissolved Solids. It's a measure of all solids (minerals, salts, etc) that are dissolved in water. It's a an all inclusive number, whereas something like GH only reports the amount of calcium and magnesium. TDS is usually measured with a TDS meter/probe.

Methylene Blue is a dye that is effective in preventing fungus from attacking fish eggs.

As for the males needing more practice, it is funny, but it actually happens with other fish. I don't know if it's an issue with tetras though.

-Jeremiah

TDS Meter
Old 06-03-2006, 08:13 AM   #45
crshadow
Plant Grower

5/31/2006: Glowlight Day 13

Here are a few pics from day 13. I can no longer take a decent measurement of the fry's length, but I would estimate it at about 1/4" or so.