crshadow's Tetra Breeding Project *56K Warning!* - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #166
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

Good to see you're alive, I saw this thread bumped and thought... Threads dead... very old thread... let it rest in peace...

Then I saw your posts!

Can't wait to see updates coming sooner or later!

Welcome back!
-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #167
crshadow
Plant Grower

PTrader: (27/100%)

Hey Andrew! Glad to see you still around here on TPT. I'm sure a lot has changed since I've last been on! I really need to try and visit here more often, as I am likely out of touch, and outdated.

Regarding the Cardinals I bought from Petsmart, it's been a few days now, and no losses! It's a miracle! It might've helped that I got them straight out of their shipment, rather than from their tanks.

-Jeremiah
crshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #168
A Hill
Sponsor

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by crshadow View Post
Hey Andrew! Glad to see you still around here on TPT. I'm sure a lot has changed since I've last been on! I really need to try and visit here more often, as I am likely out of touch, and outdated.

Regarding the Cardinals I bought from Petsmart, it's been a few days now, and no losses! It's a miracle! It might've helped that I got them straight out of their shipment, rather than from their tanks.

-Jeremiah
Ahh light years ahead with the whole exponential curve of knowledge crap that is supposedly going on In reality its mostly same old same old. A new vendor pushing 1/3 filled tanks with water something popular with viv keepers in the 90s or so. So same old, same old. Oh, but there were some interesting new plants and shrimp and fish imported since you've been super active probably...

It is a miracle you saved them from being baptized in PetSmart tanks!

-Andrew

Rumford Aquatic's Tools selection. Best prices anywhere. Guaranteed! Every purchase supports me an entrepreneur studying at ASU.
A Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #169
kzr750r1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

May as well say good to see your still doing well. I don't get on the forum much these days either. I too have had some of the Petsmart cards and only lost a couple. I did take them up on their return offer for the ones that weren't floor bacon.

Cheers
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #170
sliver
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to sliver Send a message via Skype™ to sliver

Bump.

This is an awesome journal. I'm planning to start a neon tetra breeding program, and found out this very helpful thread. Hope to hear more updates.
sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #171
ck123

Bump. again
ck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 AM   #172
arthuryeo
Algae Grower

how do you know if the female is ready to give birth?
arthuryeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #173
tyronegenade
Algae Grower

Hi,

I've read this thread with great interest as I'm currently try to spawn cardinals. And spawn them I have but am yet to see a single fry.

I only got them to spawn once they were in a group. Setting them up as pairs or trios (2m:1f or 1m:2f) was hopeless. I have them in a large net breeding trap drapped in a 6 gallon tank. I have a large clump of Anubias in the net and Java fern over peat scattered over the bottom of the tank under the net. Every few days I see the Java moss littered with little white orbs: dead eggs.

Derek McInerny's "All about tropical fish" (1964) mentioned that egg death was linked with water hardness, with zero eggs surviving over 12 ppm. Well, when I do a water change I use distilled water and the hardness is by now very much below 12 ppm but still no fry... Jeremiah, what was your water hardness?

Anyone got any other ideas?
tyronegenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #174
crshadow
Plant Grower

Hi, it's been quite a long time since I've been here, and quite a while since I bred the Cardinals. I'm still around, but everything's a bit foggy as far as exact details when I bred the Cardinals, but I'll try my best to give you some pointers.

I poked back through the thread and found the post quoted below which were the water parameters for my first successful Cardinal egg hatch. The TDS was 85ppm, GH 25ppm, KH 45ppm. All these are well above 12ppm. If I recall correctly, for the Cardinals I got successful hatchings even into the 100+ppm range, but not much higher than that. And glowlights I was able to get viable eggs even at 500+ppm. I have a gut feeling that the hardness affects not the eggs, but rather the ability of the sperm to fertilize the eggs, but I have no way of confirming that.

So that being said, I'm sure your water is soft enough, it's gotta be something else. A few possibilities off the top of my head.

- Fish are too old.
- Inexperienced Males
- pH?
- Temperature (Mine was room Temp around 70 -75 F)
- Lack of Tannin in the water (Anti-bacterial properties)
- Old eggs that the females have been carrying around for a while. (Perhaps they just need to spawn a few times to flush them out.)
- Too much circulation. (Sperm again)
- You could also try removing the eggs and treating them with methylene blue.

If you poke around in the thread you might find more specific data that I had recorded that may help. I had meant to do a lot more specific experiments to fine tune the parameters, but life got in the way and I haven't had a chance to revisit the project since.

Hope this helps. - Jeremiah

Quote:
Originally Posted by crshadow View Post
6/4/2006:

The next morning, I was happy to find that the Cardinal egg had hatched! I also checked the Cardinal tank to see if there was a new spawn. Although there were no new eggs, I noticed something dart across the substrate. I sucked it up with a medicine dropper and found that it was another Cardinal fry! I managed to find 3 newly hatched Cardinal fry in the tank, which I removed and placed into yet another seperate vial. That makes a total of 4 Cardinal fry, with the slight possibility of more hiding in the tank with the parents. Not the most spectacular results, but I'm happy to have had some success. From here on, it will hopefully be more practice and fine tuning with subsequent spawns.

Water Parameters: TDS of 220 when the spawn occured. When I found the first clear egg, I diluted the water in the tank and the vial just to be safe. Although I think the egg would have hatched without this. Later, if I continue to have spawns, I will experiment further to find minimums for hatching, etc. I hope the number of fertile eggs continues to increase as more spawnings occur. The final parameters in the tank after diluting were as follows:

TDS: 85
Nitrate: < 5
GH: ~ 25 ppm
KH: ~ 40 ppm
pH: ~ 6.0

We now know that these parameters are suitable for hatching. Later we'll see how far we can push these and still be successful. For now, 6/4/2006 marks Day 1 for the first Cardinal brood.

PS: I hope no one feels these pics are redundant after seeing all the glowlight pics already, I just want to be thorough with the documentation.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #175
agoins
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Any suggestions why my lemon's have stopped breeding? I have when from 13 to 21+ the only thing I have changed in the tank is adding a yoyo loach. Think he could be getting to the eggs?
agoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #176
kzr750r1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoins View Post
Any suggestions why my lemon's have stopped breeding? I have when from 13 to 21+ the only thing I have changed in the tank is adding a yoyo loach. Think he could be getting to the eggs?
You can probably bet on it.
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #177
dinosaurodon
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Helllloooooooo, are you still doing this project, it's been seven months. I wanted to ask how you measure the Ph, Kh, Gh, etc. Oh and BTW what are the best water parameters for breeding glowlight tetras, I wanna try breeding them.

Last edited by dinosaurodon; 06-04-2011 at 07:49 PM..
dinosaurodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #178
Naliel

Just read the whole thread! Thanks for all the details and specially the pictures!! I would like to try to breed neos or cardinals in the near future and the info you provided is very helpful. I know it's been almost a year since the last post but I couldnt help to subscribe to the site just to say thanks for your time.
Naliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #179
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

This is a great thread and an inspiration. Is everything well and are you still planning to breed them again?
Old 04-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #180
crshadow
Plant Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy199413 View Post
This is a great thread and an inspiration. Is everything well and are you still planning to breed them again?
It is hard to believe that it has been 11 years since I joined this wonderful forum! This project among my other unfinished random projects have been put away for some time now, but never forgotten. Since I was last active on this thread and on this forum I've had two children and other important changes in the game of life that had prevented me from having the free time necessary to devote to my hobbies.

That being said, the chaos has started to subside, and as such it may be time to resurrect this project in some fashion. Much time has passed and I have a lot to catch up on!

To answer the original question, If people are still interested I'd be happy to continue this project! Times have also changed and we are now in the age of video, and so if I continue this, the media format and presentation of content will be updated to coincide. That means hopefully lots of video updates! Stay tuned!

-Jeremiah