first time tadpole tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 04-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
sepulvd
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

first time tadpole tank

my son received two tadpols today fron a fsmily friend. i was wondering if anyone gad good info or website for what a tsdpol rank should have
sepulvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I raise Bullfrog tadpoles every year. I just drop them into one of my established tanks. Be extremely careful when moving them as they are easy to injure internally, and do not put them in a tank with fish that may nip at them. They prefer lots of plants to hide under and an established tank with algae to munch on. Once they start absorbing their tail they will stop eating. After they are done metamorphosing they need to be removed quickly or they will eat any small fish you may have or starve to death. You'll know when it's time to take them out because they'll try to get out of the water or always hang out at the top of the tank.

When you remove them, you can release them into an area where they are found naturally or build a terrarium/vivarium to house them. Never release non-native species as frogs can be extremely invasive and destroy an ecosystem. The specifications for a terrarium/vivarium will depend on the species of frog.

Last edited by Indychus; 04-28-2013 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: Added info
Indychus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Here are some of the american bullfrog tadpoles, in my 55 this year, and in the 20 last year. These are around 5 inches long. They are awesome for kids... my 3 year old is glued to the tank when they are in there. Better than glued to the TV. They usually take around 2 months to change completely, then I release them into my pond, which has bullfrogs naturally.

Indychus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice setup for your tadpoles.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
sepulvd
Planted Member

Default first time tadpole tank

thsnks for the info. this is my current setup for the two tadpols. one of them already has his backlegs out i would appreicate anything else i should add to the tankClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367319181.613711.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	135546Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367319195.983963.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	135554Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367319210.493979.jpg
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	135562
sepulvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.