Odyssey Cube 5 - upgradable lighting?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
beatle
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Odyssey Cube 5 - upgradable lighting?

I have a 3g Eclipse which I'm learning has insufficient light to grow a lot of plants. My java fern and banana plants have grown, but I want more.

I notice that Aquatraders has a new 5g cube tank with a 25w incandescent lamp. Does anyone know if the incandescent bulb can be tossed and easily replaced with a spiral type PC? Would this be a worthwhile upgrade from my Eclipse? Can anyone comment on the rest of the tank and its quality? I know about their other products being somewhat dubious, but I haven't read anything about their new Cube 5.
beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
alphacat
Planted Member

There's also an eBay seller for this cube right now for $10 less than Aquatraders, although I don't know how the shipping works out for either.

I think I've read differing reviews though - some folks say it's totally underrated, others refer to Odyssea/Jebo tanks as cheaply made & problematic.

Anybody here use one of these for something more permanent than a quarantine tank?
alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
beatle
Algae Grower

I've seen that tank on ebay. It looks like it'd be about $3 more after you factor in shipping. The tank from AT is currently $35 w/free shipping. It's too bad they don't show a picture of the tank with the filter installed. I'm pretty ignorant to how an internal power filter works as well.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:20 AM   #4
AlaskaRiver
Algae Grower

If you want to keep the 3 gallon eclispe you could get a retro fit kit from AH supply. I have had pretty good results using it with my 3 gallon eclipse.
Here is a link to see what I am refering to.
http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm
Good luck with what ever you choose.
AlaskaRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #5
beatle
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRiver
If you want to keep the 3 gallon eclispe you could get a retro fit kit from AH supply. I have had pretty good results using it with my 3 gallon eclipse.
Here is a link to see what I am refering to.
http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm
Good luck with what ever you choose.
I have an AH Supply retrofit on my 37g tank that I like, but it's not something I'd like to do to my Eclipse. My girlfriend could use a better home for one of her bettas and I'd give her the Eclipse.

These cubes seem to be pretty new. I can't find any first hand opinions on them. alphacat, where did you hear things good/bad about the Cube 5?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
alphacat
Planted Member

After searching the terms "Odyssea" & "Jebo" (different names for the same company, with the former being a bit better) here, on aquaticplantcentral.com, and a little Googling.

* from a Lighting forum discussion

* from this forum, a mention of a member who has one (but no followup that I can find)

I also saw a pretty positive review of the Odyssea 5g., but can't remember where now; also discussions of retrofits for light bulb changes and loud fans. Perhaps you can PM the user in the second link above who has one to see how it's held up - he states a preference for it over the Eclipse 3.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
alphacat
Planted Member

Default New Odyssea 5 gallon (model B5)

So I went out and picked up one of these today: an Odyssea B5.

Quote:
...with splash guard and overhead bio-filtration system. The light canopy (13W flouro) and filtration unit has its own flip top cover for easy access. A redesigned powerhead is more powerful and super easy to install.
It also comes with a spray bar, should I ever need that.

The best thing? It's cheaper than the 2.5 gallon tank I almost just bought!

Old 05-22-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
beatle
Algae Grower

What do you think of the B5? Pictures? Is this a self-contained box like the Eclipse? I'm not sure how you order from Aqlogics.com. You can't "add to cart" or anything.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
alphacat
Planted Member

Sorry for the lack of clarification: I used the aqlogics.com page just because it was the only picture I could find online. Bought it at an LFS that's known for good deals on equipment.

So far I'm pretty happy with it, and am starting the 'scape today. It came with a 50/50 bulb for saltwater so gotta replace that; also, the filter tube & spray bar fit just enough to let you know that's where they're supposed to go, but not snugly enough for my taste, so might do a little DIY Saran-Wrap gasket job on it.

Otherwise the powerhead is quiet enough for me and the co-workers, so that's nice. Overall I'd definitely give this a thumbs-up so far!

Once it's planted up a bit I'll be posting pics. Stay tuned...
Old 05-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
beatle
Algae Grower

Eagerly awaiting pics! Is the powerhead available for additional circulation or is it part of the filter assembly?

I found a seller on ebay who sold them last month for $50 shipped (petsupply2000) but they are no longer selling them. I may email them to see if any are still available. What did you give for it?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
alphacat
Planted Member

Alrighty - the tank is finally stabilizing (had a case of the Aquasoil Cloudy Tank Blues) - and now that I'm looking at the thing it's dawning on me that the included powerhead is likely WAY too strong for this tank.

This tank was obviously manufactured for the saltwater market; 50/50 bulb (which is actually 18w, not 13), spray bar, 240 gph powerhead... and it's this last one I'm gonna have to deal with next, right after I swap out the bulb for a 6500 today [hopefully]. The current in the tank is pretty crazy - bubbles making it to the bottom of the tank and clinging to the underside of the Java Ferns. Small pieces of plant debris left over from the initial setup are swirling around like leaves in a strong wind, making me cringe to think about some 1" fish trying to make it in there.

Almost hate to say what I paid for the tank though: it was $30 at an LFS, no joke. This particular store is known for ridiculously great deals on tanks & gear but mediocre-to-poor live stock, so bought the tank there and am getting critters elsewhere. However, since the primary occupants of this tank are going to be Endlers I'll need to do something about the powerhead situation before they get in there.

Can anybody with experience recommend an acceptable range on flowrate for a 5 gallon cube?
Old 05-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
beatle
Algae Grower

Wow, that's a great price. I'd think 35-50 gph would be a nice goal to shoot for, perhaps edging closer to 35 since this will be a planted tank.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #13
alphacat
Planted Member

Yeah, the price was unbeatable. I came close to spending $10 more for an acrylic that was half the size from Drs. Foster & Smith - and now I'm glad that their tank was damaged and had to be returned! All's well that ends well.

And now - to sneak out to another LFS for some goodies!
Old 05-28-2006, 06:18 PM   #14
beatle
Algae Grower

Got any pics of the setup yet? Is the powerhead required for the filter or is it just for circulation? Is the flow adjustable?