Plants that can withstand cool weather
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Plants that can withstand cool weather

I am going to be experimenting with some outdoor tub "ponds" this summer. I would like to get a early jump on them and start to set them up in about two weeks but the temps here are a little cool( about upper 40s-60s) right now. Are there any plants that can withstand these temps plus warmer ones? I would like to have the tubs cycled and "aged" before adding any fish. I will probably add heaters in case the summer nights get cool but for now they will be unheated.

P.S. If this should be in the pond section feel free to move it.
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hornwort stays green in lakes year round here. I would imagine lots of Elodea and egeria species wouldn't mind chiller water either. Creeping Jenny is supposed to be fairly cold hardy. I've read of lilaeopsis being pretty hardy once adjusted as well. As long as the stuff doesn't freeze solid before it has transitioned properly, and here's something funky... Plants can get sun burnt, so either transition them in shade for a few days outside or get some of that black mesh stuff from garden stores to filter the light over them.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
ckraft
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Egeria, hornwort, vallisneria, water hyacinths all overwinter in my pond. Sagittaria lancifolia goes dormant, but returns in the spring.
ckraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Summer tubs are fun. I want to try one this year. I've grown iris in my pond year-round and will be using some of that. Duckweed is a floater that can stand the chill.

Goldfish | Community | Koi pond | Carnivorous Plants
the.koi.maiden is offline   Reply With Quote