How much, and how quickly, should I change the pH, beginner with new tank needs help.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #1
dmike1975

PTrader: (0/0%)

How much, and how quickly, should I change the pH, beginner with new tank needs help.

Good Day!

My grandma gave me one of her freshwater tanks, fish and all. I've never had one before and am in need of some good advice.

Here is some history and specs/parameters...

1 angel fish
3 gourami
5 redeye tetras

Some plants, not sure what they are, so I uploaded video footage of it all on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kPYPBBZb4Q

My grandma ran it without any pumps, letting the plants handle all the conversions. She fed the fish quite often and vacuumed the gravel once a week. Not sure how often she did 1/3rd water changes.

The guy delivering the tank ran and got me some pumps/filter to add.
He installed the MarineLand Pro Series Bio-Wheel Power Filter Emperor 280 GPH, "for up to 50 gallon aquariums" (not sure how they come up with that number), which seems like major overkill, if you ask me, especially when you consider that it's cycling my entire tank's volume (about 38 gallons), over 7.3 times per hour, but I'm running it as such for now.
http://www.petco.com/product/5541/Ma...r-Systems.aspx

There's an APp4 AirPod pump and an airstone...
http://www.radiofence.com/air-pod-pu...lon-aquariums/

Hexagon shaped, 11.5" side pane width X 24" bottom to top of water, with 2.5" of gravel displacement, I figured around 37 or 38 gallons.

Temp appears to be 80 - 82 F.
pH appears to be between 8.2 - 8.4.
Nitrite is at the bottom of the scale.
Nitrate is between 20 - 40 ppm.
Ammonia is .25 ppm.

2.5 gallons of spring bottled water were added around 36 hours before I took the waterchem tests.

My main concern at this point is the pH. I should try to bring it down, right? How much how fast?
dmike1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

pH will settle at a certain point and remain there if you take good care of the tank. Don't try altering it with chemicals.

Your main concern should not be pH - it should be the Ammonia and Nitrite. Since those are present, your tank has not properly cycled.

Take a look at the posts throughout the forum for beginners so you can get a handle on cycling a tank. Once you've got that down, you'll be much more capable of handling the tank.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I remember starting out years and years ago, being all concerned about pH - then I learned most things just need it warm and wet.
I haven't taken a pH reading on either a freshwater or marine tank in 27 years. Of course I'm not a discus breeder....
James M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Trying to lower pH is more trouble than it is worth. Leave it be. You don't need the airstone unless it's doing something aesthetic that you like. The filter is probably the minimum I would run on that tank. Column/tall hex tanks can easily have trouble with circulation.

Looks like your tank is cycling so you need to start putting in Prime ASAP.

pH is the very least of your issues. Ammonia and nitrites showing up is the first.

Also, watch out with the gourami. Angelfish and gouramis can be aggressive towards eachother. With a column tank like that, you have a terrific Angel tank. I would focus on keeping Angels and smaller fish instead of the gourami. Red Eye tetras, or almost any tetra for the matter, will nip fins and can quickly shred your Angel.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.