Nanofish List (v1.0) - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #121
Simmo2302
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I updated the list... no new fish, but some tidy up and formatting for easier to read.

the new formatted version is available on page 7, thread #98.

or click here to be taken straight there.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=98

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-13-2014 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: Fixed link
Simmo2302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #122
Fishly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

It works now. Thanks!

Cholla 55g * Silver 25g
Fishly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #123
Jane of Upton
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hmmmm,

the link is now showing as INVALID. I tried to report it to the Admin, but when I linked to this thread, then THAT link was also deemed Invalid.

-Jane
Jane of Upton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #124
fishydaze
Algae Grower

Hey Jane
Sorry bout the links...Unfortunately, I can't get in to fix the links in others' emails. The one in message 121 works, but I know the one that got put in message 1 doesn't work.

You can just go directly to message #98 in this thread and the list files are attached there.
6g Planted Low Tech 5-15-2009 Start Date
fishydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #125
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm2000 View Post
dwarf puffer - Carinotetraodon travancoricus - likely a species only candidate needing a larger "nano" but nano nonetheless.
5 gallon minimum. They will pick at full grown snails and shrimp, some may kill them, but babies of both WILL be eaten. Very intolerant to most tankmates. Otos seem to be good tankmates for them them though.

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #126
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm having a hard time with the list. Was it ever organized to show which fish are appropriate for various sized tanks? I'm planning a 3g and was wondering what would suit it.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #127
Bonefish
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Bonefish

To add some data to the list: I've got three male black bar Endler's in my 2.5 gallon. They've been in there for a few months and are doing excellently. Full colors, no health problems, no aggression, very active. I started out with four Endler's, but one of them did what Endler's do best and committed suicide within the first two weeks. Fixed that problem by rigging up a tank cover, and I have had no issues whatsoever with the remaining three, which are all healthy.

The tank is low light (10 W), filtered with a Red Sea Nano, and fairly heavily planted. The Endler's tend to lurk in the thicker crypt/java fern growth and rush out to beg whenever someone walks by the tank. They do not appear to be eating the Red Cherry Shrimp babies, or if they are, they aren't doing a very thorough job of it.

Based on my experience, I say: Endler's can do okay in a stable planted tank as small as 2.5 gallons. Go for same sex only, lest you want hundreds of fry. Limit is probably 3-4 individuals for a tank that small. Males do particularly well and are strikingly colored.

Jenna - for a 3 gallon and below tank, I would check out bettas (splendens plus a few of the other species including simplex), Endler's or guppies, and shrimp. I have had success with all of those species in tanks ranging from 1.75-2.5 gallons.
Tank graveyard:
2.5 gal betta iwagumi :: 1.5 gal shrimp forest :: 2.5 gal low tech
Bonefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #128
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

TsuRyuu, thank you VERY much for the suggestions. They've gone on my list. I truly appreciate it!
Old 11-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #129
fishydaze
Algae Grower

Hello TsuRyuu- Thanks for the info, and for giving such good specifics on what tanks work for Endlers. I will slip it into the table this weekend.

Hello Jenna- Sorry you are having trouble with the table.

Unfortunately, when most people in the thread or online reported on fish that did well in 10 g or less, they weren't specific about the tank size that was successful for them. When they were, I noted the successes in three tank size categories in the table: 2.5g-5g, 5g-8g, 8g-10g. The few that were specifically noted as successful in the smallest range: pygmy killifish, betta, dwarf mosquitofish, and peacock gudgeon. Most of these aren't really 'common', though

But a number of the fish listed in the table, ones that are not identified as schoaling, would prob. do well in your tank. It is a list of small fish. Frequent water changes and having a filter (TsuRyuu notes a Red Sea Nano filter on the 2.5 g described) reduces risk. Please read the last column in the table for behavioral or technical details that would be important (like, "males only" or "eats plants"), and explore online further about any species.

I agree with Tsuryuu's recc: A few male Endler's Livebearers would be happy in a small tank. Alternatively, a Betta is really beautiful in a planted tank, and can be pretty interactive (always comes and stares out at me when I sit to look at him). And, its sorta nice to know that 3.0 gallons will always seem spacious to a Betta (given they are usually sold in one cup of water). Commonly available and sturdy options.

But: celestial rasboras..emerald dwarf rasboras...pygmy gouramis...dwarf molly...otocinclus are possibilities.
6g Planted Low Tech 5-15-2009 Start Date
fishydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #130
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you Fishydaze! The trouble I was having was actually opening it. Hopefully I'll soon have that bug fixed and it will work for me. Its frustrating because the computer is less than a year old. (sigh)

I appreciate all the info! I thought I was set on the 3-4 Endler's males. But every time I think of those Bettas in those tiny bowls and I bleed for them. I volunteer in animal rescue so getting a Betta out of one of those bowls seems like rescue work to me. Besides, they are easily available, and simply GORGEOUS fish!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #131
RandomMan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the list. I'm not seeing the Danionella translucida, which has a max size of 12mm.
http://danios.info/fish/translucida.aspx
RandomMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #132
Cottagewitch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Any new additions to the world of nanofish? I've just started a 10g.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #133
morninglight
Algae Grower

Default Adonis Tetra

I discovered some Adonis Tetra (Lepidarchus adonis) in one of the show/display tanks of my LFS and promptly threw out my other ideas for stocking my new 5 gallon hex.

The full grown fish is tiny, tiny (as in about 2 cm) and it's coloration is transparent with a little oval silver stomach. The google images simply don't do them justice. The ones I saw were quite transparent, except that some of them had a few small surface black markings on them.

I watched their behavior in the (rather large) show tank, and they kind of darted around, but rarely more than a few inches in one direction, then another direction, and so on, so I don't think they would particularly need the swimming space of a big aquarium.

I plan to put a small school of these in my 5 gallon hex when they get them in again at the LFS (with just shrimp for tank mates).

Can you believe that someone actually came in the evening before I was going to buy them and cleaned out their remaining stock? And it's not like they're popular, well known fish, either. I can only imagine the look on my face when they were all gone after I looked to make sure they had them the day before.

<< 5 Gallon Hex | ADA Mini L (Work In Progress) >>
morninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #134
atom
Planted Member

Anyone have any recommendations for a Fluval Spec or is a Betta and shrimp pretty much it?

I was thinking maybe a few endlers or a dario dario or sparkling gourami? Would those be okay? What about a type of killifish?

Cheers.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #135
gogi
Algae Grower

Lampeyes killie
gogi is offline   Reply With Quote