Nanofish List (v1.0) - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #106
ravenmyth
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nanofish List (v1.0)

I would be against trying 2 males. I agree with your concern about territorial issues. Thats why I did 2 females once and a male/female pair the other time. I would note my females have always more than held their own against the males---chasing them off if they became too agressive about food etc.
ravenmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 02:50 AM   #107
fishlvr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSong View Post
Do any of these fish do well in a 2.5 gallon?, besides the betta
The least killifish (Heterandria formosa), Pygmy killifish (Leptolucania ommata), and bluefin killifish (Lucania goodei)

The least and pygmy killies you could keep a couple pairs in a 2.5. You could keep a single bluefin killie in one.

Also you could keep a pair of one of the pygmy sunfish (Elassoma sp) species.

You also might could get away with a couple of endler's livebearers, but I'm not sure since I've never worked with them before, so I don't really know their requirements.
fishlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #108
fishydaze
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hey Fishlover-
re: The least killifish (Heterandria formosa), Pygmy killifish (Leptolucania ommata), bluefin killifish (Lucania goodei), pygmy sunfish (Elassoma sp)

Was the info you reported on them from personal experience/knowledge of success of these particular fish in 2.5 g? If so, I wanted to mark it in the excel table

Thanks..
6g Planted Low Tech 5-15-2009 Start Date
fishydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 PM   #109
paludarium freak
Planted Member

Not pushing anyone but I'm planning to set up a 2g tank in the near futur and need the list. (website or Excel)
Thanks
paludarium freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #110
fishydaze
Algae Grower

Hey P.Freak-
The latest list is at Reply #98 within this thread...hope it helps
Old 04-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #111
Cheapskate
Algae Grower

Question: You have dwarf cories on the list, but do you think that a couple regular sized cories (panda/leopard/etc) would do ok in a 5.5 gallon including some smaller fish and 2 african dwarf frogs?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #112
fishydaze
Algae Grower

Hello-
IMHO: things might go okay for awhile, but it sound precarious in terms of tank health. Remember, with gravel and plants and equipment, a 5.5 g tank might end up being only 4.5 g or so (but I like a thick layer of gravel/ couple of larger rocks in mine).

From my experience, 'regular' cories can get up to three inches each and beyond for some (bronze). Then your list got longer and no specific head count (more fish and frogs); so starts to sound like a lot when number of fish suggested is generally so small for a nano tank.

As always with Nano tanks:the general recommendations to follow are excellent filtration, water movement,and regular partial water changes. And few fish, with friendly habits. One thing to consider: if you think you might not be on top of the tank care, then I really recommend as few fish/amphibious creatures as possible.

I do have a friend who has had two frogs and snails in a 3 gallon, and they have been fine for almost two years.

Good luck on the new tank set up
Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #113
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

IMO regular Cories don't belong in anything smaller than a 20L tank- they need to be kept in schools and need their swimming room.

fishydaze- I wouldn't consider Pristella tetras suitable for a nano tank. I have a school of 15x in my 90gal and they get pretty large and bulky for tetras- the females are larger than my Rams. They're about the size of large adult Tiger barbs (and I mean full grown ones, not the size you'd find in a pet store). They also need plenty of room to school and swim, I wouldn't keep them in less than a 30gal.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #114
goldlenny

I just came across this old thread in a Google search for something else and I didn't read the entire thread but from the 2nd post, with the list, I did not see Celestial Pearl Danio, formerly Galaxy Rasbora, which could be a newer species than this thread.

I would also like to point out a LONG list of fish suitable for 10G tanks, including stocking recommendations, which I have on my blog. I have updated it in the past year or so to add some other links to good info on this topic, but it may need some changes as well. Although I've been a long time member, I haven't really posted much so it says I can't add a link so just Google "GoldLenny Hailey's 10 Gallon Tank Stocking" (without quotes) and the link to my blog page should show up first.
10G - Cherry Shrimp
Both tanks planted. Use to have four tanks but Katrina made me downsize as the tropical's slowly died off or were rehomed... but I didn't lose a single fish during the two weeks of no power and five weeks of no water. ;-)
Fish Blog - http://goldlenny.blogspot.com
goldlenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #115
alphacat
Planted Member

Just came back after a long hiatus (became a new dad), and...

Wow!

Thank you very much Fishydaze for the great work on the Excel list. It's nice to see this project take on a life of its own without much prodding. Of course, I'm sure it'll wind up being a work-in-progress for some time to come, but if it helps us make better choices when stocking our tanks then it's absolutely worth it.

Cheers, all.
alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #116
fishydaze
Algae Grower

Alphacat!
Welcome back and Congratulations on being a new dad; The information on this thread has indeed been great for my nano tanks...and I very much enjoyed tagging along on your start-up work.

Lauraleellbp
I updated the information in the excel file regarding Pristella tetras. Thanks for giving your thoughts on the regular large size cories. I agree.

Goldlenny
Thanks for the info regarding your 'fish for 10 gallons' list at http://goldlenny.blogspot.com/2007/0...king-list.html
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #117
fishydaze
Algae Grower

fish file list updated: message 98 this thread

Last edited by fishydaze; 05-14-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #118
Fishly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can we get the list of species back up here? The Excel thing isn't working on my computer.

I'm just looking for the species names, but if it were to be organized, I think the best way (on here, not on Excel) would be to catagorize the fish by type (livebearer, microrasbora, killifish, etc.) and put the species names in alphabetical order. Then list any specific problems for each fish. Example:
Livebearers:
Poecilia reticulata (Guppy)- Very prolific, will overrun tank without fry control, may be too large for very small tanks (<2.5g)
Poecilia wingei (Endler's Livebearer)- Very prolific, will overrun tank without fry control

And so on.

Cholla 55g * Silver 25g
Fishly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #119
fishydaze
Algae Grower

I loaded up the excel 97-2003 version, on message 98 of this thread.

I think once you open the file you will see that it is organize much as you suggest.

Each fish gets one row, names common and latin, length temp and dh stats, success in what size groups and tanks, and comments re nano issues gleaned from various sources.

Last edited by fishydaze; 07-13-2014 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: changes in versions available
Old 05-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #120
Simmo2302
Algae Grower

never mind
Simmo2302 is offline   Reply With Quote