The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nanofish List (v1.0)

259K views 170 replies 98 participants last post by  TankDave 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Howdy!

In the course of researching this amazing hobby, newbies (like me) often ask the same questions over and over; among them, the question of "so what kind of fish can I put in my planted nano?" seems to come up quite a bit.

To that end I'd like to start an easily-referenced thread with lists of ideal species for nanos. Wherever possible, please provide both the common name and the scientific name. :icon_bigg

EDIT (8/31/10):

Click Here for Fishydaze's cleaned up, expanded, and most updated version of the list.

#27 ·
One other thing: are there common [English] names for any of these guys? Something I've noticed is that you Finns have common names for fish English-speakers have never even seen...

Also - are there any proposals for how we should break this list down when it becomes too long to simply be a quick-reference guide? I think it should be a functional distinction, i.e. by preferred water parameters so people considering community tanks can more easily find neighbors for their fish, but I'm also open to suggestion.

#29 ·
alphacat said:
One other thing: are there common [English] names for any of these guys? Something I've noticed is that you Finns have common names for fish English-speakers have never even seen...
Well, as I'm not a native English speaker I have to rely on other sources, mainly the net. I was kind of hoping that you English speakers would supply the common names. I did edit in some names from Fishbase and MIFF...

I was kind of thinking that giving the continent would give the reader a guestimate for the preferred water values and also some idea for a geotope maybe. I suppose there are more clever ways of doing it. ;)

How about making a quick list in the beginning of the thread with most common ones and giving just links to further down the thread for others? Say, like a link titled: more livebearers. That would work if the fish would be grouped by families. Otherwise? Maybe not. I can edit my lists in any shape you guys think would be most useful!! :)

#30 ·
Thanks Daniel. I've been thinking about this a little, and I agree with your idea - with one little revision: the first list of common fish should also have some kind of basic list for first-timers of fish that are easy to keep, along with either a footnote or a separate post in this thread detailing anything that beginners should know.

For instance, Endlers & Guppies reproduce like mad, Otos, Corys, and Plecos like to be kept in groups of at least X amount, these other fish are schoolers with a minimum of __...

Does that make sense to everybody?

#32 ·
Coming back to this fascinating project...;) In the article I have been using for some help (Markku Varjo 2005: Kalojen kääpiösarjalaiset)... there're still these left:

Flame Tetra (Hyphessobrycon flammeus)
Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)
Black Phantom Tetra (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus)
Red-Tailed Phantom Tetra (Hyphessobrycon roseus)
(Hyphessobrycon eques)

Marbled Hatchetfish (Carnegiella strigata strigata)
Carnegiella strigata fasciata
Black-winged Hatchetfish (Carnegiella marthae)
Pygmy Hatchetfish (Carnegiella myersi)

False Cory (Aspidoras pauciradiatus)

Hara jerdoni
Shadow Catfish (Hyalobagrus flavus, ex. Pelteobagrus ornatus)

:D

#44 ·
Hatchetfish should never be put in a nano. In the Amazon, they literally fly out of the water. Fishbase.org quote regarding Carnegiella strigata strigata: "Aquarium keeping: in groups of 5 or more individuals; may jump out of the aquarium; minimum aquarium size 80 cm".

#33 ·
Here's some more:
Croaking Pygmy Gourami Trichopsis vittatus
Dadio (Orange Chela) Chela dadyburjori
Asian Rummynose Sawbwa resplendens
Schooling Bumblebee Goby Brachygobius aggregatus
Red Licorice Gourami Parosphromenus sumatranus (Parosphromenus deissneri)
Green-eye Rasbora Rasbora dorsiocellata
Dwarf Gold Barb Barbus gelius

All found at this wonderful site http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm that is unfortunately closed until June 27th, '06.

#34 ·
To the OP, I'm sure many users here would appreciate the categorization not just of species type, but also by the size of the tank.

#35 ·
That'd definitely be useful too, I agree: however, revising this list took a turn for the complicated due to all the different suggested ways of sorting this list. Daniel*Swords has generously volunteered his time for this as well - but any other volunteers would be great too.

At this point I'm thinking perhaps some kind of a spreadsheet is in order for this - that way we can show multiple parameters that are useful, such as size, water temp & pH requirements, stocking & neighbor-friendliness info, etc. - instead of having one list showing all fish in a certain size range, then another separate list entirely showing what you can/can't put in the tank with them, you know?

#36 ·
Daniel*Swords said:
P.S. Btw. the species name is not capitalised - only family name is. ;)
Actually, not to rant but just to clarify, the 'species name' refers to both the genus and the specific epithet, most commonly incorrectly refered to as the 'species name'. A species name is comprised of two parts -the genus (the first part) and the specific epithet (the second part). I do not mean to rant but people throw around scientific verbage constantly and i just wanted to let people know of this distinction - even people who are well trained in the biological sciences misuse these terms.

:)

#37 ·
agdavis said:
the 'species name' refers to both the genus and the specific epithet, most commonly incorrectly refered to as the 'species name'.
Thanks agdavis for clearing that up! All very logical now that you mention it! After this, it'll be that much more easier for me to try to pass as a biologist. :hihi:

Some more fishes (found in the thread):
Gertrude's Rainbow/ Gertrude Blue-eyes (Pseudomugil gertrudae)
Dwarf Red Bettas (Betta coccina, tussyae, rutilans, persephone, etc.)

Then in the link posted by Sarahpea above we can find:
Burmese Pink Neon Rasbora (Microrasbora rubescens)

#41 ·
I have a 1 Gallon Betta Bowl at the Office.
The office temperature is kept a constant 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Does this thread mean that each of these fish listed, I could keep in this Bowl 'instead' of the Betta?

Or to put it another way;
if I were to create another Bowl at the Office (1-2.5 gallons), I could use 1 of ANY of these fish?

#42 ·
No , most of these fish require at least a 5 gallon, or a 2g to themselves, but some you can put in bowls. A 5g tank realy isn't much bigger than a betta bowl. And not to expensive either. Also, I used to have a betta vase, but I could barely see anything but a blur in the rounded glass.

#45 ·
Not true.

Bettas and other labyrinth fish, have an organ called the labyrinth that allows them to breathe atmospheric air, goldfish do NOT have the labyrinth organ. Goldfish should not be kept it bowls. It's already illegal to do so in Rome.

#48 ·
No , most of these fish require at least a 5 gallon, or a 2g to themselves, but some you can put in bowls. A 5g tank realy isn't much bigger than a betta bowl.
Oh. That is a shame. :icon_frow

Not true.

Bettas and other labyrinth fish, have an organ called the labyrinth that allows them to breathe atmospheric air, goldfish do NOT have the labyrinth organ. Goldfish should not be kept it bowls. It's already illegal to do so in Rome
What????

#50 ·
Those Parosphromeni look pretty cool! Thanks Seikah.

Also, to all of you good folks that I promised a revised version of this list - are there any takers for a co-editing job? It's a fairly big task to sort these by tank size, water type (pH, temp., etc), minimum number, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.