I need guidance
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-01-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
blazeyreef
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I need guidance

Hey y'all. I am a long-time member but lately have been reading not posting. . But I got out of planted tanks for a few years and im just am getting back into it. I feel like I have forgotten a lot of what I once knew.
I am planning on setting up one of those 6.6 "bookshelf" tanks. I am in a small college apartment and Im thinking thats about as big as I can get away with at the moment. Best not push my luck. My plan for this tank is to use two 13 (or 26 if I can find them) watt 6500k screw in bulbs from walmart. I have had pretty good sucess with them in the past and im on a budget. I would like to use the DIY CO2 system with yeast and sugar. I know its not ideal but for the time being it will have to do. Again, poor poor poor but anyways, I plan to use "fluval plant stratum". Never heard of it. Before I bowed out for a few years eco complete was the big deal and thats what I had. Would four pounds of this stratum be enough? I have also read briefly of "Amazonia"?

As for fauna, I would love a small school of tiny rasbora... but im also interested in some species of shrimp? I had snowball shrimp at one point and really enjoyed them. I really wouldnt mind trying that again. This tank is going on my bed headboard, right at eye leval, so something enjoyable and relaxing is my goal. Also is there a small species of apistogramma or similar interesting fish that I could try? What fish would be compatable with shrimp, if I went that route?

Plants... I used to know all kinds of different plants, and now I cant hardly remember anything! I remember I had crypts and enjoyed them. I could never get java moss to grow worth a crap... I had some species of star rotala or something I really enjoyed. Man I really cant remember. With my lighting, homedone co2 and some excel, what would be some great plants for me? Im game for anything. I dont have an LFS withing 4 hours of me so ill do most of my plant purchasing online. Also I would love some great hardscape... driftwood. I would love some tips and guidance on aquascaping. That was always my weakspot, making it look nice. WHich is pretty humorous to me considering my major is horticulture with an emphasis in landscape design and development

ALSO... ive seen several threads with people who are doing ripariums. I dont know much about them... but would be interested. Considering im a hort major I obviously love plants. Ive seen people growing them in their filters and such. Please explain?

Thank you much for helping a not-so-newbie-just-forgetful get back on his feet.

BTW my name is Houston, im going to school in Idaho and I freaking love aquariums!

Last edited by blazeyreef; 06-01-2013 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: spelling
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #2
blazeyreef
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

looking back at old notes and such, I remember I had some camomba, ludwiga and hygrophilla that I loved. Like a star hygrophilla? and a needlenosed ludwiga. Anyways, any help I can get on this would be greatly appreciated..
blazeyreef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.