What type of wood makes good driftwood.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-17-2003, 11:20 PM   #1
danDman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello all,
I was wondering if any of ya'll know what type of trees make good driftwood. I was thinking about harvesting some branches then letting it dry out, debarked it then soak it in my pond for a couple of months befoe using it in my tank. Does anyone have a list of trees that can withstand being waterlog without melting away. Thank you all. I really appreciate this forum.

dan
danDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2003, 11:22 PM   #2
danDman
Algae Grower

I'm planning on converting my 125gal into a planted tank. I'm collecting all the neccessary equipment before doing it. So far this is all I have.

Dan
Old 11-18-2003, 02:14 AM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

You want non-toxic hardwoods. And your plan has a couple of flaws in that you need to soak the wood till all the soft wood has decayed. You want only the heart wood.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:07 AM   #4
danDman
Algae Grower

Hi Rex,
Thanks for the reply. Will Oak work? I have several branches that's been cut over a year ago and the bark removed. It seems very dense but is it safe to use? Would you have a list of non-toxic wood? Thanks

dan
Old 11-18-2003, 10:49 PM   #5
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

visit the driftwood sellers, floridadriftwood and aquarium driftwood (?). I cna't recall which, but one has a great library and talks at lenght about what makes good wood good.

Bad wood will leach oils that are toxic and can have rot that will make an ammonia/nitrite spike through the roof. Cypress is good, if old, not if new, I think.

Discus are so expensive, I wouldn't chance it with them. What fish will be in this tank?

Fish Ranch, off I-59 had a ton of Mopani wood that is fine and sinks right away. Some place on Bellaire or Westheimer had some, Village has some, Aquarium world has some.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:53 PM   #6
crocodylus
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to crocodylus Send a message via Yahoo to crocodylus

Malasian and grapevine is what i have, just boil them a few times and let them soak for a week or so, and then put them in the water
crocodylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:26 AM   #7
danDman
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply.
I did not want to buy driftwood. I'd like to make my own. Most places don't have what I want or if you mail order, your subject to whatever they send. I have a particular idea on how I want the tank to look like. I like a piece of branch that can span the length of six feet.
I have lots to discus and I can sacrifice some adults that are not pairing up. This tank is for my wife. It will have a large driftwood and a few large plants but mostly glososistigma. Did I spell that right.

Thanks for all ya'll help

Dan
Old 11-19-2003, 10:55 PM   #8
IUnknown
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown

Aquariumdriftwood.com is really good, just tell them what you are looking for. Amano uses Mangrove wood, and I think this is some of the stuff you get from aquariumdriftwood.
IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:03 AM   #9
slartibartfast
Algae Grower

I have a really nice piece of cedar that i got from the Blue-Montains (Aus) just on the side of the road. it looks as thought it has been sun bleached and has gone an almost pink colour. I was a little suspect due to the colour but it apear fine. it did go darker underwater though.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:06 AM   #10
Zarlac

I am also looking for some driftwood out in the wild. Everywhere I have looked for info says that hard woods make the best driftwood. Osage Orange is the hardest wood I have been able to find and I really like the look of it. (really gnarly and twisted stuff)

Does anyone know for sure if it will harm my tank?
I mean is it toxic or anything?

Thanks in advance.
Zarlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:28 AM   #11
danDman
Algae Grower

I have ash wood and some oak wood. These are both hard wood. I'm soaking both of them in my pond over the winter and see what happens. I clean out the pond in the spring anyway. I Guess I'll see if they make good driftwood.

Dan
Old 11-20-2003, 12:10 PM   #12
NOLACLS
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I have a really nice piece of cedar that i got from the Blue-Montains (Aus)
Ohhh man I must say...I just came back from Aust for my honeymoon. I went to the blue mountains and OMG it was sooo beautiful!! You are very lucky to live in Aus....I didn't want to come home :cry:
NOLACLS is offline   Reply With Quote