Extremely Shy CRS???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Extremely Shy CRS???

I have about 12 CRS in this Fluval Spec V. Somehow they're super shy and won't come out if light is on. Doesn't matter what kind of light (LED, fluorescent, flashlight or sunlight) They will immediate went hiding under the driftwood.

This driftwood has about 6 holes and tunnels that they safely hide inside of. Do I have extremely shy CRS or there are other reason?

P.S. That feeding dish on the bottom left corner. It's only active at night when lights are off will the CRS come out to feed on it.

CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I see one near your sponge filter (: !

But uh how long have you had them for? Takes time for them to feel @ home.

And maybe theres a lot of very good biofilm on your driftwood. Also, I don't believe light will play a role on whether or not they will come out lol.
shrimpzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This tank is close to 3 months. Yeah that CRS is caught out in the open, usually he hide behind or under that sponge. I had 2 berried but all the eggs seem to disappear, I guess 1st time mom.

PH is 5.5 from MVP Turface soil. Some said they will go back to neutral PH but it has been a long time and still at 5.5. I don't know if 5.5 is the cause for shyness.

P.S. I do believe light is the cause of shyness =). In the morning whenever I turn on the light about 8 AM they start running toward the driftwood and disappear for the whole day until light is off.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Oh I meant to say type of light. I kind of skimmed your post and thought you were trying different kinds of lighting systems like LED/fluorescent/etc to see if they would come out more lol.

5.5pH is fine for CRS, mine live in that pH and aren't shy. Also, never heard of MVP Turface soil but active substrates that alter pH will have an expiry date. Usually 1-2 years.

3 months does seem like a good amount of time for them to adjust... Best of luck trying to get them to come out more... I say maybe try some floating plants? Maybe shading areas of the tank will make them more comfortable.
shrimpzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

I see that you have an Otto in there (I think)....maybe the fish is scaring the heck out of them so they hide thinking they will be eaten. Just speculating since I've never kept fish and shrimp together.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
I see that you have an Otto in there (I think)....maybe the fish is scaring the heck out of them so they hide thinking they will be eaten. Just speculating since I've never kept fish and shrimp together.
You never kept an Otto? They're 100% shrimp safe and recommended by many shrimp keepers. I've kept 10 Otto in a 60 gallon tank with RCS before and nothing ever happen.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
You never kept an Otto? They're 100% shrimp safe and recommended by many shrimp keepers. I've kept 10 Otto in a 60 gallon tank with RCS before and nothing ever happen.
I don't keep any fish with mine either. I know Ottos are supposed to be safe, but still, lots of folks do shrimp only tanks
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

I love otos, they have fins like a shark (swim like one too) yet shrimp friendly
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
I've had ottos for probably 10 years now....never with shrimp though. When I kept my shrimp I liked to have them separated from the fish whether they were safe or not. Also, for as many people that say that Ottos are safe, there are just as many saying they are not. I'm not saying the Otto will eat your shrimp...what I am saying is that when you get into keeping $300 shrimp you take precautions since the Otto can damage a baby CRS due to it's size (by bumping into it accidentally).
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

my CRS picks on my poor ottos =/ They steal their food and pushes them off the zucchini.

i have seen many times my ottos are in their own feeding dish sucking on a algae walfer, my CRS would walk right into his dish and push my otto off his walfer, and my otto freaks out and swims away =<
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #11
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Oh yeah now I remembered the danger of otos. Otos are freaked easily and when they do, they swim zig zag super fast like crazy. I did witness one time when an oto go berserk freaked by the light just turned on and some shrimps were knocked out. But thankfully the shrimps are okay. (Though baby shrimps can get hurt badly and die when oto go crazy).
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
my CRS picks on my poor ottos =/ They steal their food and pushes them off the zucchini.

i have seen many times my ottos are in their own feeding dish sucking on a algae walfer, my CRS would walk right into his dish and push my otto off his walfer, and my otto freaks out and swims away =<
Yeah somehow CRS are mean. They pick on my Neos too. Always has the bigger piece of food.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 AM   #13
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

I think something is wrong with your water.

You mentioned turface, have you been testing your GH? All of those high CEC substrates suck up GH and lower the hardness quite a bit.

CRS don't normally hide, it's not a normal behavior.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #14
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

I am with Liam, you need to check you GH KH, and what are you testing you PH with. Test kit, strips or PH probe???? Also what is your tds. When I tested turface, 3 times now, I got it to lower Ph for about 4-6 weeks then it would spike way up and stay that way. My shrimp never hide unless something is off.
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote