Ideas on my new aquascape
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 04-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Ideas on my new aquascape

I recently moved and setup the tank a little differently this time. I want to get some ideas from everyone on what to do and keep the same.

I would really like the branch flipped as it is to create the hanging filling.

Heres what it looked like before...

And heres how I currently have it set up...

I trimmed some plants and removed some (still have them just not in this tank).

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

i like the before
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think the dark substrate is heaps better.

I don't mind the wood the way you have it now but I'd try moving the sword plants in under it on the RHS. Try and get a triangle going. If you do I think it will give the impression of more room. I would try a little (or a lot if you like it) moss on the wood. Give it a softer look. But since it is a beautiful looking piece I wouldn't cover it up too much.

I'd tie that anubias to the lower part of the RH branch and maybe get some smaller leaf ones to tie on the branch too.

Slope you gravel to the back a bit more and make it flat at the front. It will give you more depth. Just doing this usually improves the look of a tank.

If that is java fern on the right then it will do better tied to the wood or a rock. They don't like having their rhizomes buried.

I can't tell but is there another branch on the LHS with moss on it. If there is I think it will be good but can't tell unless I can see it properly

I also like the way the wood was before so either way is good for me.

Nice start.

Lindsay
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Ideas on my new aquascape

I think the dark substrate is heaps better.

- agreed

I don't mind the wood the way you have it now but I'd try moving the sword plants in under it on the RHS. Try and get a triangle going. If you do I think it will give the impression of more room. I would try a little (or a lot if you like it) moss on the wood. Give it a softer look. But since it is a beautiful looking piece I wouldn't cover it up too much.

- I was thinking the same considering the swords don't need as much light. I will add some moss to the lower branches on the larger branch.

I'd tie that anubias to the lower part of the RH branch and maybe get some smaller leaf ones to tie on the branch too.

- I will add some anubias to the branch also. I also have one small petite nana to the branch as well.

Slope you gravel to the back a bit more and make it flat at the front. It will give you more depth. Just doing this usually improves the look of a tank.

- agreed... I have enough substrate to work with.

If that is java fern on the right then it will do better tied to the wood or a rock. They don't like having their rhizomes buried.

- no java fern in the tank lol.

I can't tell but is there another branch on the LHS with moss on it. If there is I think it will be good but can't tell unless I can see it properly

- yes there is another smaller branch on the left hand side covered in moss!

I also like the way the wood was before so either way is good for me.

- me too! I may move the large piece back.

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by du3ce View Post
i like the before
Thinking the same

Fish
Plants
Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #6
becky3086
Algae Grower

Yeah, I like the before as well. However I do like how the branch looks in the second one and the substrate is nice, I just don't think the plants look as natural as in the first one.
becky3086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

After is better, so much better. Its different, first one I find bland.

I don't love the swords, I think smaller plants, anubias nana, and small leaved plants would be better in that tank, make the wood and space seem bigger, but hey that's just me.

Pus LOVE the angels
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky3086 View Post
Yeah, I like the before as well. However I do like how the branch looks in the second one and the substrate is nice, I just don't think the plants look as natural as in the first one.
I do like the before picture and how the branch was setup. The only thing that steers me away frm that way, is they it was hard to clean, and with all the plants at the right side, it was a bit cramped and I almost always disturbed the plants when cleaning.

The second one I like, because the branch is being used much differently and I need a little change in there. The substrate does make everything pop! And it is also nice because it is plant substrate like Floramx and Flourite. Theres like 3 15 lb. bags in there!

This evening I do plan on moving the plants around and seeing what looks better. I will be taking alot of what you all say into consideration for sure.

Fish
Plants
Old 05-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket View Post
After is better, so much better. Its different, first one I find bland.

I don't love the swords, I think smaller plants, anubias nana, and small leaved plants would be better in that tank, make the wood and space seem bigger, but hey that's just me.

Pus LOVE the angels
Agree a little about the first part of what you said, time for a change. The swords have been the main plant in the tank, and I do not plan on changing, because they grow pretty well in my setup, and the fish absolutly love swimming throughout them. Now I could trim and thin some of those swords out. I am pretty much going to swap the plants from each side, so the anubias and chain swords will be on the left hand side and the swords will be under the branch on the right hand side. I am going to play around with it after work.

Fish
Plants
Old 05-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I made some changes. I swapped the sword locations and the anubias/crypts/chain swords locations. I did slope the substrate to where itnis higher in the back. Not sure if you can tell. I also moved the smaller manzanita branches under the swords and larger branch as well. I swapped out the heater as well to a slimmer fluval 200 watt.

Fish
Plants
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Now that I think about it, I will move the heater behind the swords, so it wont become an eye sore.

But also the swords seem a bit organized and plain. What can I do to make it look more natural?

Fish
Plants
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Farmer
Planted Member

I like the new planting positions a lot. I think the swords look 'organised and plain' because they are the only thing there. I'd move the anubias to the right in amongst the swords (but on the wood). Or you could put some lower growing plants in the front on that side. I think that would help. I don't like the pale rocks though.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's how I changed things around...let me know what you all think!

Fish
Plants
Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #14
cephelix
Algae Grower

I really like how the branch sits with the swords under it but the majority seems to like the wood resting on the substrate.

You could try filling it with more plants. With the most recent layout, you could do a concave setup where both ends have tall plants progressing to shorter stem plants and carpeting plants as you approach center.
cephelix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #15
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Heres a better pic, the other pne was just a quick snap shot.

Fish
Plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.