Houston and surrounding cities!!! - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Texas

Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #91
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Houston and surrounding cities!!!

Joining the party. Here's one of my tanks. 75 gallon. Planted with mineralized topsoil and turface pro league about 2 months ago. Java fern, amazon sword, jungle Val, dwarf sag, and ludwigia are really doing well. Wisteria keeps melting and I can't get the carpet to really get going. Tried Pygmy chain sword and Brazilian micro sword. No luck. Either the massive bubbles from the soil breaking down will uproot it or my featherfin catfish will pull it all up when he's feeding. At this point hoping my dwarf sag just spreads an acts as a tall carpet.

My eheim 2026 started leaking bad from the power cord too so it's offline waiting for me to find the time to open it up and check it out. I still have a 2217 running so its not totally stagnant but the flow is so low and I'm noticing a bit of cloudy water since the other filter died
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (110.0 KB, 11 views)
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #92
JAYGEE
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
HC is a slow grower regardless of photoperiod. They seem to take off when emersed.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

I tried the emersed, but I do not have patience! I flooded after 2 days; the HC is growing just not fast enough and then the shrimp like to pull it up so re planting is a pain with my fluval tweezers. I will need to invest in a better set of tools.
JAYGEE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #93
JAYGEE
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
Joining the party. Here's one of my tanks. 75 gallon. Planted with mineralized topsoil and turface pro league about 2 months ago. Java fern, amazon sword, jungle Val, dwarf sag, and ludwigia are really doing well. Wisteria keeps melting and I can't get the carpet to really get going. Tried Pygmy chain sword and Brazilian micro sword. No luck. Either the massive bubbles from the soil breaking down will uproot it or my featherfin catfish will pull it all up when he's feeding. At this point hoping my dwarf sag just spreads an acts as a tall carpet.

My eheim 2026 started leaking bad from the power cord too so it's offline waiting for me to find the time to open it up and check it out. I still have a 2217 running so its not totally stagnant but the flow is so low and I'm noticing a bit of cloudy water since the other filter died

Good looking tank, I cant wait to go bigger!! Do you plan on filling in the right side? Have you tried hair grass? I have dwarf hair grass in my 12 long and it is filling in nice and fast!
JAYGEE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #94
Chester
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

Hi,
I'll take a pic of my tank when I get home just got into the whole planted thing recently and don't really have a clue of what I am doing but we'll see how it goes... btw anyone have java moss,or something similar for sale or free around Houston or could direct me where I can buy some? Can't seem to find any around the LFS near the galleria...Thinking of getting a small betta tank set up for my cube... any suggestions on tanks/set ups?
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #95
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The bare spot on the right side is where nothing wants to grow lol I can't figure it out. Jungle Val is growing along the back, but when I added it all every leaf turned red and melted and they've been growing new leaves. They're tough to see because they're only 3-4" at this point. That open section is where I spent hours upon hours planting individual sprouts of two different dwarf sword species. I was hoping it would really fill in and take off but I guess this stuff really DOES need co2 to do well...I considered trying dwarf hair grass but I fear the result would just be more of the same. I'm just going to encourage my dwarf sag to spread that way. What you also don't see because the pic is grainy, is a baby amazon sword is also toward the back on that empty section. That is going to dominate that whole side of the tank when it gets going. It's growing real well for how young it is. Thanks for looking!!
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #96
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Re: Houston and surrounding cities!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYGEE View Post
I tried the emersed, but I do not have patience! I flooded after 2 days; the HC is growing just not fast enough and then the shrimp like to pull it up so re planting is a pain with my fluval tweezers. I will need to invest in a better set of tools.
HC is a pain to plant while the tank is flooded with any tool. You have to practice patience if you want it to stay. It's hard to plant them unless you've got sand, but even then, it's still a PITA. I let my HC grow emersed for about a month and that's all it needed.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

210G|1.5G Iwagumi DSM|5G Fluval Chi
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #97
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
Hi,
I'll take a pic of my tank when I get home just got into the whole planted thing recently and don't really have a clue of what I am doing but we'll see how it goes... btw anyone have java moss,or something similar for sale or free around Houston or could direct me where I can buy some? Can't seem to find any around the LFS near the galleria...Thinking of getting a small betta tank set up for my cube... any suggestions on tanks/set ups?
Fish gallery didn't have any? Most LFS here don't carry plants, and if they do, it's a very limited stock. Fish gallery and HAW are the only places that comes to mind when I think of a decent selection of plants.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #98
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
The bare spot on the right side is where nothing wants to grow lol I can't figure it out. Jungle Val is growing along the back, but when I added it all every leaf turned red and melted and they've been growing new leaves. They're tough to see because they're only 3-4" at this point. That open section is where I spent hours upon hours planting individual sprouts of two different dwarf sword species. I was hoping it would really fill in and take off but I guess this stuff really DOES need co2 to do well...I considered trying dwarf hair grass but I fear the result would just be more of the same. I'm just going to encourage my dwarf sag to spread that way. What you also don't see because the pic is grainy, is a baby amazon sword is also toward the back on that empty section. That is going to dominate that whole side of the tank when it gets going. It's growing real well for how young it is. Thanks for looking!!
Plants tend to melt when introduced to a different water parameter than what they've been growing in.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #99
JasterMake
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
Hi,
Aquarim World in Houston has decent selection. But they have a lot of non submersible plants as well. So do your homework or take a cell with Internet access. The also have false SAEs most of the time. But they did have the real deal a few years ago.
JasterMake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 PM   #100
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aquarium World also has some high prices

Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #101
JasterMake
Planted Member

Default Houston and surrounding cities!!!

That is true. I did not know that at the time. But now that I have ordered here successfully it really is expensive there.

But instant gratification is always nice.

Aqu world is on my way when I work down by the bay. So I try and stop by whenever I'm in town.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #102
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Homeless Aquatics is a must. Tim tries to get stock that other LFS don't carry and sells really cheap. He's got a lot of inverts and nano fish. I work a few minutes from his house and it's really tempting to stop by after work to grab some fish. He'll ship too, but then it'll get pricey due to shipping costs.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #103
LiquidBoulder
Algae Grower

Just wanted to give a Texas shout out. I'm new to the hobby, currently cycling one tank and treating ich in another. So yeah... no pics right now.

Ever go to Jungle Jim's? I was gonna pass through on my way to a Galveston weekend to check things out.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #104
wesleh
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidBoulder View Post
Just wanted to give a Texas shout out. I'm new to the hobby, currently cycling one tank and treating ich in another. So yeah... no pics right now.

Ever go to Jungle Jim's? I was gonna pass through on my way to a Galveston weekend to check things out.
Welcome to the Texas section!
wesleh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #105
JasterMake
Planted Member

Default Houston and surrounding cities!!!

I looked up his website and I did not see any plants. Looks like he's off 290 and that's the rout I take. I might have to see about getting a tour.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.