Drilling my 55
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-14-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)

Drilling my 55

I lost a Heckel when it got caught between the filter plumbing and glass so I looked for a way to get all that crap out of the tank. Finally decided to drill my tanks and move all equipment under the stand. My 55 gallon was the first experiment since it would be the cheapest to replace if we broke it. We drilled 4 holes in the back of the tank, 2 on each side of the tank for bulkheads. Why 2 sets of bulkheads? Two reasons:
1. My stand has a bookcase in the middle which leaves 2 small compartments for equipment.
2. I wanted to use 2 Fluval 304 filters to ensure good flow to both sides of the tank since I would be using a reactor and external heater.
Inside the tank was a Won Titanium Heater, Milwaukee SMS122 Probe, A SCWD Utube Attachment which I used as the outlet for the Fluval 404, and a PentAir Aquatics Customflo Water System which served as the inlet plumbing for the Fluval 404. Here is what the stand compartments looked like before we drilled the tank.

Old RH Side

Old LH Side

The RH side of the stand now contains; CO2 cylinder w/Regulator, Hydor 301 External Heater, Fluval 304, plumbing and electrical.

Heater and Plumbing

More Heater Plumbing

Picture of the RH side

The LH Side of the stand now contains a DIY CO2 reactor with the SMS 122 PH probe installed inline, Milwaukee SMS 122, Timer for Moonlights, Timer for Icecap Ballast, Fluval 304, plumbing and electrical.

DIY CO2 Reactor I made, you can see the PH probe (the black plug with the wire going to it) and Fluval plumbing.

Milwaukee SMS 122 PH Monitor/Controller and Digital Timer for Moonlights

Picture of LH side (the Digital Timer for the Icecap Ballast is on the RH side).

Picture of LH side with Fluval 304 installed.

Picture of both sides (please excuse the flash).

Tank Rescape (please excuse the flash).

New inhabitants

ALF Caves

Everything is working great! Initially, was not to sure about the probe in the reactor since I could not find any previous reactors built with PH probes inline. Well it works, works great as a matter of fact. Only problem I have is the Discus are looking at the cories like they are food.

We will be drilling two more tanks in the near future. I will take pics of the drilling and bulkhead installation to post.

Special thanks to RMC for drilling the tank and helping do the set up. And another special thanks to RMC for babysitting my Heckel and Snakeskin while this tank was in work. And one more special thanks to RMC for the rest of the Discus, the awesome Corydoras Aeneus Peru-Gold Stripes, and the beautiful Albino Long Fin Ansistrus Bristlenose.......DC

Last edited by DiabloCanine; 05-15-2006 at 03:04 AM..
DiabloCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 03:33 AM   #2
rrguymon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Looks great. I need to do something like that. I need to get off my behind and build me a decent stand first. hah. Could you show more detailed pictures or explain how you got your SMS prob in the plumbing and how you seal it and remove it to calibrate it if needed? I hate that floresent yellow thing in my tank. haha

Rick
Old 05-15-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
yoink
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Dang, I just missed the new discus. They look great and the tank looks awesome, even more so in person.
yoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:27 AM   #4
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrguymon
Looks great. I need to do something like that. I need to get off my behind and build me a decent stand first. hah. Could you show more detailed pictures or explain how you got your SMS prob in the plumbing and how you seal it and remove it to calibrate it if needed? I hate that floresent yellow thing in my tank. haha

Rick
When we do the next one, I'll slow down and take pictures of the whole process including build-up of the reactor.....DC
Old 05-15-2006, 04:30 AM   #5
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink
Dang, I just missed the new discus. They look great and the tank looks awesome, even more so in person.
Yes, but you can come by to see and feed them whenever you want. I forgot to give you some plants I had for you in my endler tank and shrimp nanos. Did you get the new tank set-up? The glosso we planted is hanging tough.....DC
Old 05-15-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
yoink
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

The plants you gave me filled it up nicely. It's ready to go and waiting on the shrimp to come in. Thanks again.
yoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
rrguymon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I am concidering discus too. I need to start reading your posts and learning what I can about keeping them with plants. I have tons of questoins on discus but its off topic here so I will wait. Haha.

Rick
Old 08-30-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
Brian A
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Brian A

what did you use to make those caves?
Brian A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
landlord
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloCanine View Post

Tank Rescape (please excuse the flash).

got any update pics of this, im interested on how this tank is progressing, looks good!
landlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:54 AM   #10
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

I did not make them, got them from RMC. If you want some, let me know. You still need to meet him, he lives down 31 a little. You still got my number?.....DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash69x View Post
what did you use to make those caves?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:09 AM   #11
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlord View Post
got any update pics of this, im interested on how this tank is progressing, looks good!

The tank is doing well, still recovering from a major munch by a bunch of spixi babies. I am growing out several dozen rams in it now....DC
Old 08-31-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

Nice tank.

What's the dimensions of those caves? I'm interested in them as well, since I can probably use them for my plecos.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
Nice tank.

What's the dimensions of those caves? I'm interested in them as well, since I can probably use them for my plecos.

Plecs love them, actually have wars in my 110 over a cave. I think I can still get some, PM me......DC
Old 08-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #14
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

What is this plant? It looks familiar, but I can't remember what it is.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #15
DiabloCanine
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
What is this plant? It looks familiar, but I can't remember what it is.
Anchored Water Hyacinth (Eichhornia azurea)