dwarf puffers....anyone????? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Illinois

Old 04-24-2013, 04:00 AM   #16
LeMoine
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Not sure if you bought any yet, but golden aquarium had some in stock about a week ago
LeMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

You'll love them!

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

how big of a tank are the 10 of 'em in? are they happy? recommend an upgrade or no?

i'm looking at finally giving in to MTS and after reading about these guys I think I'd enjoy a tank with 'em.

aren't the full-sized blowfish super poisonous, though? (the flesh I mean). I do have kids visiting my house, I'd hate for one of 'em to drop dead from licking their fingers after petting the fish when I wasn't looking.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

mine are in a 75 gallon. I think it is saltwater that are poisonous. petting a dp would be like petting a neon tetra, just isn't going to happen,

My honest opinion. Their size and personality and incompatibility with other fish make them a poor choice for a big tank. A 10 gallon tank would fit them perfectly.
they are fun to watch
and although i don't truly think they are any more intelligent or have more personality than any other fish it sure seems like they do
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
WheeledGoat
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Didn't I read soemthing about 5 gal for the 1st, and like 3 gal per fish after that?

I think the big problem was males - they can get very territorial... but only if cramped and with not enough females to chase around.
WheeledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #21
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yes, mostly. the males, ime, don't set up a territory they just fight each other or chase when they see each other.

the 5gal-3gal rule is a good guideline but M:M:F rtio is more important.

lets say you want to keep 3 in a 10 gal.

3F fine
1M 2F fine
2M 1F bad idea
3M probably okay because no females to fight over but not sure.

In a 20L I would only put 1M. Bigger than 20L I would try more than 1 M
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #22
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default dwarf puffers....anyone?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
yes, mostly. the males, ime, don't set up a territory they just fight each other or chase when they see each other.

the 5gal-3gal rule is a good guideline but M:M:F rtio is more important.

lets say you want to keep 3 in a 10 gal.

3F fine
1M 2F fine
2M 1F bad idea
3M probably okay because no females to fight over but not sure.

In a 20L I would only put 1M. Bigger than 20L I would try more than 1 M
I think that it's all great info and the ratios make a lot of sense too. Thanks!

I feel like its a crap shoot sexing em though at the lfs and if you want to keep more then 1 fish there's some trial and error in finding compatible tank mates?

I recently inherited a spare 30 gallon and I almost am rethinking a smaller tank for a few puffers... IDK

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #23
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sexing them at the lfs was a failure for me. they are usually .5" or less, just too hard.

let me try to explain my thoughts.

30 tetras is much more impressive than 5. They school and look great as a big group.

dp are more like plecos. having a bunch in a tank isn't really any more enjoyable than having 1 or 2.

since you can't really keep most fish with them it seems sort of a waste to dedicate a bigger tank to them when, personally, I get the same happiness from seeing a few as many. (unless you are talking about a really big tank, maybe a 100 gallon long with 40 dps in it, then it takes on a new dimension just for novelty's sake)

I really like the dimensions of a 20Long, so a 20L with a 2-3F and 1 M is what I would do.
A 10 or 30 would work but I don't like the dimensions as much.

You could always put a dozen in a 30 gallon and then just keep the ones you want, they grow fast and in 3 months at most you should be able to sex them easily enough.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
the_joe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Old Orchard has em
the_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #25
muntwo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
although i don't truly think they are any more intelligent or have more personality than any other fish it sure seems like they do
I have one male dp and 3 otocinclus in a 5.5 gallon tank on my desk at work and I'll periodically check out my fish by shifting my eyes over without moving the rest of my body; my puffer will usually swim around doing his thing, but as soon as we make eye contact, he flips out and hides.

dprais1, how do you maintain your white worms and would you be willing to ship a small culture?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #26
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have used the coco fiber that comes in brick form for reptiles but now I used jiffy seed starter mix because it is so much cheaper. I take a few 100%dry eggshells and put them in the coffee grinder till they are powder and mix with the coco/jiffy. this stops the mix from getting to acidic

that mix gets moistened until it is very damp but not wet. If I squeeze it I want it to clump but no dripping of water.

1x a week I mix it all up to eliminate anaerobic areas.

I feed my white worms fish food--flakes and algea disks. I never feed bread or yogurt or cat food. cat food is high in protien and you will get more worms faster but I don't have a cat. This is what works for me. I add enough to last 2-3 days and mist the food when I add it.

I cover the food with a piece of hard plastic. If you keep the plastic clean you can often just scrape the worms from that. if not i spoon out a bit with lots of worms and decant them a few times with cold water from the faucet.

I always keep more than one culture going because they can crash over night.
-I have only had one culture crash, but it went from maybe 2 thousand worms to maybe a hundred in a day or two. It takes about 5 weeks for 20-50worms to turn into hundreds (I mean 500 or 800, not 100 or 200)

I keep my cultures in cheap plastic containers. room temp was fine in the winter but now I keep them in a cooler. also in the cooler is a 2 liter soda bottle that gets replaced each morning. The bottles get stored in the freezer and is ice by next day and this keeps the cultures cool enough. make sure the cooler is open a crack for ventilation

hope that helps.

PM if you want a culture, just pay shipping