55g stocking help! Overstocked? Compatible?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
SowndFx

PTrader: (0/0%)

55g stocking help! Overstocked? Compatible?

Will these groups work together?

Im the type of person that will go above and beyond with research before making any decision. I've done extensive research and cannot for the life of me find the answer I'm looking for. I have a 55g moderately planted tank with 2 Marineland emperor 400 filters. Want to go the community route. (So original... I know) but I just love having schools of different smaller fish. I know for sure that I definitely want tiger barbs. And that's the problem I'm running into. I've been on numerous forums and websites spending countless hours and am getting too many mixed results. Some say they absolutely shouldn't/can't be mixed with anything but tiger barbs because of their behavior and others saying that they'd work great with fast fish that can get away from them.

I currently have 10 zebra danio, 2 giant Amano shrimp(bigger than my adult zebras), 4 cherry barbs (will most likely remove), and 6 oto's.

Here's what I def want to add to make a final stock.
9 tiger barbs(5 green 4 regular)
9 Bloodfin tetra
8 corydoras( can't decide between panda and sterbai)
1 bristlenose pleco

I will be adding them all gradually of course. And the tiger barbs will be absolute last and I will get them as small as I can find them. Which in my area isn't hard at all. Most of my lfs have them .5"-.75".

So my questions are. Will this be overstocked even with plants and 2 huge filters? Will the tiger barbs get along with everything else in the long run being introduced last and very small? I know the zebras will hold their own but what about the bloodfins? I think I had more questions but my mind went blank for now so I'll leave it at that. Thank you so much in advance for any replies!
SowndFx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

No you won't be overstocked with the numbers of fish you're planning.
And if you get your tiger barbs last and they're small, you should be ok - at least for several months.
There are no guarantees however, that there would be no complications when the Barbs reach 1.5" or more, at which point they would of course be very active, and may tend to show some aggression - more so towards the bloodfins I would suspect.
The Cories and the BNP should be ok,, but that not saying they won't nonetheless be intimidated by the Barbs, and you could see their activity decline in open areas of the tank. That's the risks you MAY be taking - but one never knows.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
AdamC13
Algae Grower

I had some tiger barbs in an african cichlid tank once (the tigers were a rescue) and thought it would be ok since the cichlids are aggressive but as soon as the tiger barbs got full grown they started getting more and more aggressive until finally I had to get rid of them and that's with cichlids not community fish. That being said I've seen more than one community aquarium in which they work in I guess it's all just luck of the draw.
AdamC13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Fishermike
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Tiger barbs are best kept in a species tank, TME. Great little fish on their own, but total jerks to everyone else in a community tank.
Fishermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
LB79
Wannabe Guru

If you switch out the bloodfins for 7-9 more tigers, I'd think they'd be fine. The other fish might get chased or nipped once in a blue moon, but it'll work.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Elyssa
Planted Member

I have a school of 8 tiger barbs in my 55 w/ xray pistia, serpeas, black skirt tetras, danios, bn pleco, cories, loaches & SAE's and have not had any problems. They quarrel amongst themselves and I haven't seen them *go after* anybody. Prior they were in a 26 gallon by themselves. I was hesitant to put them in but it's been a month and so far so good. Besides the cories, loaches, danios and bn pleco...all the other fish have their own strong personalities and I'm sure they would nip any slower, peaceful species. I love my tiger barbs and I'm glad they are in the 55 now. They do add a lot of flair!
Elyssa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
SowndFx

Thanks for the quick responses everyone I really appreciate it! Honestly these were the exact responses I was expecting lol! Some say yes others say NO WAY! After reading positive posts like Elyssa's I get pumped up. But the negative ones shoot me right back down. I guess it is hit or miss with tiger barbs. Could get a batch of puppies or a pack of blood thirsty wolves.. I guess I'll take a chance and hope for the best! At least I'll get to enjoy the juvies for a few months. And if things go down hill after some time it'll be a good excuse to convince my fiancé to let me get another tank!! =D I just really love their colors and how hyperactive they are. They're amazing fish but I really don't wanna get a separate tank only for them. At the same time I love my zebra danios and would love to get the bloodfins in the mix as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
There are no guarantees however, that there would be no complications when the Barbs reach 1.5" or more, at which point they would of course be very active, and may tend to show some aggression - more so towards the bloodfins I would suspect.
Why do you think they "might" show aggression towards the bloodfins more than anything else? From what I've read they seem to be one of the more active/faster tetra.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Believe feeding time could reveal that the tiger barb's are very quick to grab the lion's share of food's.
The fact that they behave for a month or two with other fishes (for some), is small consolation for the possibly tattered fin's,stress,placed on other more peaceful species.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Elyssa
Planted Member

This is a pretty decent calculator for stocking and helpful to list out some potential problems with your choices. http://www.aqadvisor.com

The barbs just chase each other around and the males are always vying for alpha position. Most of the tetras are categorized as fin nippers, themselves.

I read enough good reports of them being *community*...but the people reporting that, are not putting them in with angel fish, platys or guppies, long flowing fin fish/slower moving/major peaceful guys.

I started out with 11 and within 2 weeks, they took out 3 of their weaker links. With that said, if there is a sick/weak fish....I could see them making sport of it. I could see them ganging up on larger fish too, like AdamC13 experienced.

With all that said, within any species, you can end up with a bully or two that just want to go around and harass everybody!

Good luck. They are a lot of fun to watch!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
SowndFx

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Believe feeding time could reveal that the tiger barb's are very quick to grab the lion's share of food's.
The fact that they behave for a month or two with other fishes (for some), is small consolation for the possibly tattered fin's,stress,placed on other more peaceful species.
I understand where you're coming from. Believe me I haven't taken any warnings I've come across lightly. My zebra danios are greedy too and NEVER stop for a rest. Can't say how the bloodfins eat seeing as I have no experience with them and haven't bought them yet. But I've seen videos with them along side danios and they behave pretty similar. I do have an empty ready to go 38g that I had at my parents house before I moved and upgraded to the 55g. Can't put anything in it now cuz my fiancé would have a fit. But at the very first sign of unwanted aggression from the barbs and they start going for my other fish I will remove them emidiately regardless of what the boss say. From everything I've come across I do understand your concern as well as others. I just like them too much to not give it a try seeing as how it has worked out for many. Hoping I end up one of the lucky few. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
LB79
Wannabe Guru

They're like the wolves of the small schooling fish world. They hunt in a pack, they have a high-difinition social hierarchy, and they harass (and usually eat) anything that shows weakness. They also consume dead plant matter.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Eh after my experience with serpaes and these I am starting away from must tetras from now on. I don't like risking my other fishes health just so I have something pretty to look at. They killed off a young angel back in the day.
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Elyssa
Planted Member

LOL...I have their old diggs set up right next to the 55...they show any aggression and they are going back home. Your going into it prepared and well advised. My tank seems pretty relaxed, I don't see the barbs schooling much at all, nor the danios.

I don't know if you've come across anything on their swim bladders and feeding. I found it is best to not feed off the top...they gulp air and it messes their swim bladders up. I just mix the flake with a bit of water, so it sinks.

I'd suggest using your 38 as a quarantine tank or another smaller tank for quarantine. Better to be safe than sorry....I'm sure your fiance would agree!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SowndFx View Post
Thanks for the quick responses everyone I really appreciate it! Honestly these were the exact responses I was expecting lol! Some say yes others say NO WAY! After reading positive posts like Elyssa's I get pumped up. But the negative ones shoot me right back down. I guess it is hit or miss with tiger barbs. Could get a batch of puppies or a pack of blood thirsty wolves.. I guess I'll take a chance and hope for the best! At least I'll get to enjoy the juvies for a few months. And if things go down hill after some time it'll be a good excuse to convince my fiancé to let me get another tank!! =D I just really love their colors and how hyperactive they are. They're amazing fish but I really don't wanna get a separate tank only for them. At the same time I love my zebra danios and would love to get the bloodfins in the mix as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Why do you think they "might" show aggression towards the bloodfins more than anything else? From what I've read they seem to be one of the more active/faster tetra.
Reason I mentioned that is due to your planned mix of fish.

The Cories and the BNP are basically bottom dwellers, and my experience with Tiger Barbs has been that they tend to leave bottom-dwellers pretty much alone - the bottom-dwellers don't inhabit, or intrude upon, their 'territory' in the middle & top portions of the tank, and they are also very adept at scooting out of the way if threatened, and hiding well.

Whereas the bloodfins would pretty much occupy similar tank areas/water levels that the Tigers do, making them tempting targets for the aggression of the Tigers.
Most tetras are slower-moving fish, and even though the bloodfins may be a bit quicker, and more active, all tetras generally speaking, seem to be prone to being chased around by Tigers.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.