Don't Release Your Fish! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #31
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I understand the whole idea of clerks trying to make sure I have proper setup to take care of fish I buy.

But I really don't need a 17 year old who took a 2 hour training course on aquarium fishes to question what I'm buying. For that matter I don't take take kindly to anyone doing so.

Most clerks would deny to sell you fish if you said you put potting mix in the tank.

If i buy a mouse no one cares if I have a cage for it or if it goes into a snakes belly.

If I weigh 500lbs no one should deny me an ice cream cone.

Buying it should not be illegal but releasing it should because it infringes upon shared resources of the community or future community.

Need to address the problem not play round-about.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #32
CPDzeke
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I honestly am probably half the age of most average pet shop clerks and I feel terrible when I am forced to stand by and they say false things to uneducated customers. I also probably have practically infinite times more knowledge than said clerks. However, maybe I will try to answer people's questions if I see them in line. Well, you never know.
ADA Gentleman #1
Treeless Mountain V3
CPDzeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:25 AM   #33
Aulonocara_Freak
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Unfortunately, its things like that that cause huge population explosions like Florida is dealing with right now with the African giant snails
I would use that snails shell for my shellies!!! Where can I get some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon
Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........
Aulonocara_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #34
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
....If I weigh 500lbs no one should deny me an ice cream cone....
BREAKING NEWS...500# Mt. Prospect , Ill. man destroys local Ice Cream parlor after being refused a purchase of a double cone.

DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #35
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
I understand the whole idea of clerks trying to make sure I have proper setup to take care of fish I buy.

But I really don't need a 17 year old who took a 2 hour training course on aquarium fishes to question what I'm buying. For that matter I don't take take kindly to anyone doing so.
I get that attitude from a lot of customers. Thats why now I just end up selling 3 medium plecos to people with a 20g tank to do 'clean up'. People dont like to be lectured or informed, even if its for the welfare of the fish. They get rude or uppity, especially since I am a younger female, I dont get taken very seriously because people view me as just another associate who will bag you fish because the 'fish guys' are not there. One recent sale was a yellow lab for this guy because his betta jumped out of this 2.5g tank and he wanted something 'cooler' to replace it. He insisted that it was fine when I kept telling him it was not. I sold him it. He asked for another one. I refused. Is this really the right of a person to buy an animal to mistreat? Feeder food I understand, but I hate selling fish that will most likely die just for the whims of people.
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #36
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
I get that attitude from a lot of customers. Thats why now I just end up selling 3 medium plecos to people with a 20g tank to do 'clean up'. People dont like to be lectured or informed, even if its for the welfare of the fish. They get rude or uppity, especially since I am a younger female, I dont get taken very seriously because people view me as just another associate who will bag you fish because the 'fish guys' are not there. One recent sale was a yellow lab for this guy because his betta jumped out of this 2.5g tank and he wanted something 'cooler' to replace it. He insisted that it was fine when I kept telling him it was not. I sold him it. He asked for another one. I refused. Is this really the right of a person to buy an animal to mistreat? Feeder food I understand, but I hate selling fish that will most likely die just for the whims of people.
being male or female has nothing to do with it, age really has nothing to do with it.

-most clerks will tell me the plecos keep a tank clean by eating other fish's poo
-schooling fish prefer to be kept in odd numbers
-50% waterchange is WAAAY too much
-change your filter media every 2 weeks to keep it clean
-etc etc

personally, I don't feel that I need to justify myself to anyone.

There is nothing wrong with providing information, in fact, there is a lot of good in that. Just remember you don't know it all nor do I. When some clerk tells me I need to feed my dwarf puffers meaty foods like chopped clams and beefheart I don't want to spend the next half hour to correct them.

But when the line is crossed and store clerks become 'Fish Police" then I take my business elsewhere. There are several petco I will not enter for this reason.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #37
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
BREAKING NEWS...500# Mt. Prospect , Ill. man destroys local Ice Cream parlor after being refused a purchase of a double cone.

Breaking News....Americans have fought to keep their freedom only to allow retailers to determine what they can and can't have. Prospective buyers of fashionable clothing must prove they can accessorize correctly before purchase, prospective buyers of sympathy cards must convince clerks they truely feel sympathy, and prospective fish keepers must provide a) a water sample proving their tank is cycled b) photo of their tank with a ruler for size reference c) a note from their mother saying they are responsible

Old 04-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #38
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

When I'm at the my local petsmarts the associates who know from a while back will send customers to me for advice... I also hate listening to new hires read off to customers what they need to do. I'm "that guy" who steps in and assures the person is accurately informed. Could be a fish or a reptile. I have decent knowledge of both.

My favorite all time moment was when I asked the fish department manager at a petsmart where's your prime and excel and he didn't know what I was talking about. Had the nerves to ask me after if those where regular/common fish products cause he has never heard of them...

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #39
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)
Default Re: Don't Release Your Fish!

PetSmart in my area post adult size and the minimum tank size right on the price sticker.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 04-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #40
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
that snail is awesome looking.
I would keep that as a pet. Is it aquatic?
From what I've read its a land snail that people keep as pets. Its also said to be used in santaria rituals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulonocara_Freak View Post
I would use that snails shell for my shellies!!! Where can I get some?
Call Florida Pest Control.

When I was a kid we had a pond on our property that had some goldlfish cross breeds in it.

Is is unfortunate that the apparently the general society can't have some forethought and common sense about anything at all.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #41
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think stores should be posting the Max size a fish can get on their tags. It there for the cust to see when purchasing and no one is pushing the issue. It may change the tide in what fish are sold but losses in one area will be made up in others. ie. Common pleco vs. Oto. Basically same job and price but one stays much much smaller.
Psycofc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #42
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycofc1 View Post
I think stores should be posting the Max size a fish can get on their tags. It there for the cust to see when purchasing and no one is pushing the issue. It may change the tide in what fish are sold but losses in one area will be made up in others. ie. Common pleco vs. Oto. Basically same job and price but one stays much much smaller.
right good customer service isn't about telling a customer what they should and should not do, especially when you don't know all the facts.

it's about giving all the known facts and then letting them decide.

a customer that is happy with their purchase today, 3 months from now and 2 years from now is a repeat customer for life. +/-
Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #43
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycofc1 View Post
The chain stores do this already--but folks don't bother to read 'em, or have at one point or another heard the old saw about fish only growing as large as their tank. And I've heard employees TRY to steer people away from bad choices, but be overruled or ignored.

"No, I want this. It'll be fine. My brother has one and it never got larger than.."

or worse, one I hear often when it's a parent buying fish for a kid...

"It doesn't really matter, they'll all be dead in a couple weeks anyway. Just give 'em whatever they want" (followed by the clerk bagging up two bala sharks, a dwarf gourami, three guppies and an african frog)
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #44
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

and it sucks and people shouldn't do it and that is the price we pay for freedom....some people make poor decisions.

what do we have when the gov't or retailers have the right- the responsibility- to determine what we can and cannot keep?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #45
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

think I will stay away from this thread before I get banned