Don't Release Your Fish! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

I wonder what they did with all those fish?
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

My BF said he would take my "extra" pond snails & release them in the stream behind his house

I told him you NEVER release ANY plant or animal EVER!!

I don't enjoy squishing them - but it's quick, merciful & SAFE.
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #18
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
I wonder what they did with all those fish?
I woulda et em ifin i coulda skind em
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #19
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoragen View Post
My BF said he would take my "extra" pond snails & release them in the stream behind his house

I told him you NEVER release ANY plant or animal EVER!!

I don't enjoy squishing them - but it's quick, merciful & SAFE.
Unfortunately, its things like that that cause huge population explosions like Florida is dealing with right now with the African giant snails
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #20
Pdxseth
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Don't Release Your Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Wow what a haul! I'll bet they're a bear to clean. Plants are an even bigger problem. One stem could cause an invasion. Always freeze or microwave them well before disposing.
Microwaving is a great idea! I just bbq'd a ton of hygrophylia I wish I would have thought of microwaving.
Pdxseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
Big O
Raider for life

PTrader: (32/100%)
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Unfortunately, its things like that that cause huge population explosions like Florida is dealing with right now with the African giant snails
that snail is awesome looking.
I would keep that as a pet. Is it aquatic?
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #22
Alplily
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

A local photog caught this image recently... in Estes Park, CO at about 7,300 feet in a local pond. A great blue heron has snagged itself... a clearly non-native carp/goldfish. Very alarming as they can wreak havoc with native species and ecosystems. Let's hope the herons and mergansers eat them all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dick Orleans - Heron with Carp.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	127185  

12G Rimless Club
Alplily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #23
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
... i am pro government when it comes to protecting the environment from us. the common pleco should be illegal to sell. or at the very least require proof of proper housing....
Good intention VERY DANGEROUS territory allowing a bureaucrat to decide what is proper housing for pets.

Our nation is founded on the pursuit of happiness until it affects other peoples freedoms. I'm all for punishing law breakers. I'm 100% against bans that punish law abiding citizens because a minority of criminals act illegally.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #24
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

As a goldfish lover I got a link to this....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=5O8JFYetiqY

I agree with some of the posts. Why cants pet stores at least post the minimum gallons required for the fish someone wants to buy? As a dumb newbie the pet store told me I only needed 3 gallons for a goldfish! Really! Why don't pet stores post 20 gallons for one goldfish? Of course I would not have bought the fish and gotten completely hooked into the hobby.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #25
bennyjam
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Re: Don't Release Your Fish!

Yeah the reservoir in my hometown has a goldfish in it that's probably a foot and a half long. We were bass fishing once and this giant orange thing came swimming by. Clearly not a native species!
bennyjam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #26
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajacobs View Post
....Why cants pet stores at least post the minimum gallons required for the fish someone wants to buy? As a dumb newbie the pet store told me I only needed 3 gallons for a goldfish!....Why don't pet stores post 20 gallons for one goldfish? ....
No offence, you just brought up pet peeve, I deal with all the time with newbie dog owners in my business.

The same reason why Baskin-Robbins, McDonalds & Taco Bell don't post signs that say, "Our Junk food will make you fat, clog your arteries and eventually kill you".

We've become a nation that refuses to take personal responsibility for ourselves. We want "Big Brother" to hold our hand and wipe our bottoms for us.

Very candidly, people that won't do any research for themselves on a purchase of anything, pretty much deserve what they get when unrealistic expectations are not meet.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #27
assasin6547
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyjam View Post
Yeah the reservoir in my hometown has a goldfish in it that's probably a foot and a half long. We were bass fishing once and this giant orange thing came swimming by. Clearly not a native species!
I shot one with a .22 rifle at short range. They destroy good bass fishing spots by eating all the eggs and fry! It's pretty disappointing to know that your favorite pond has been infested.

Also, plecos probably taste awful, I definitely wouldn't eat one.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #28
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
No offence, you just brought up pet peeve, I deal with all the time with newbie dog owners in my business.

The same reason why Baskin-Robbins, McDonalds & Taco Bell don't post signs that say, "Our Junk food will make you fat, clog your arteries and eventually kill you".

We've become a nation that refuses to take personal responsibility for ourselves. We want "Big Brother" to hold our hand and wipe our bottoms for us.

Very candidly, people that won't do any research for themselves on a purchase of anything, pretty much deserve what they get when unrealistic expectations are not meet.
I completely agree. Im not into being hand held. My fish purchase was an impulse buy with outdated info on my part and completely wrong info from the pet store. When i bought my goldfish and learned the reality, i took responsibility. Every animal deserves that.

Yet it would be great to have at least some info at the store....say on the price stuck to the tank? I noticed petco describes the fish on the tag but nothing about how many gallons for the fish. Just suggesting a simple way to provide info. Simple education can be incredibly helpful.....sort of like when your car manual tells you to get an oil change every 7,000 miles. Then it's up to you to get an oil change or not.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #29
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe it's because I'm older & wiser...or...learned the hard way

Any new/1st time purchase should involve personal research vs. blind faith in a salesman.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #30
Fishumms
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Haha. Didn't mean to start some crazy discussion.

We have some HUGE goldfish in Lake Austin/ Lady Bird Lake.

Yeah. Some people and their dogs. Oh man. Theres a whole "personal responsibility" conversation right there.
Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote