Don't Release Your Fish!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Fishumms
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Don't Release Your Fish!

This is a photo taken at Lake Dunlap last year by TPW Inland Fisheries. They are all plecos. I have also seen some tetras and ciclids in some of the smaller streams.

Last edited by Fishumms; 09-02-2013 at 01:58 AM..
Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
babydragons
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Wow! I knew some places were having problems with pleco but this is amazing!
babydragons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

let not focus so much on those releasing them, but instead focus on the fish stores that sell a fish that gets to 2' in length to folks buying 10g tanks.

these common pleco should be illegal to sell.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
kribkeeper888
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
let not focus so much on those releasing them, but instead focus on the fish stores that sell a fish that gets to 2' in length to folks buying 10g tanks.

+1, along with a few other species.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Wow what a haul! I'll bet they're a bear to clean. Plants are an even bigger problem. One stem could cause an invasion. Always freeze or microwave them well before disposing.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:

Exactly. When I first started out, the internet was not omnipresent, and you had to take in good faith that the person selling the fish was a good source of information. Not surprisingly, I was recommended a common pleco for my first tank (15 gallon). That tank also housed a jack dempsey and several red tail sharks, all on the advice of the LFS.
Indychus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I wouldn't say illegal, but there should definitely be more information available to people looking to get into aquariums. Thats the main issue I see every time I visit the pet store is just plain misinformation and lack of involvment by store employees. Employees should ask peoples intentions with the hope that they can help them properly set up an aquarium and pick proper inhabitants, instead of just trying to make profits off any dummy that walks in.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:

Totally agreed, my pleco got to be about 8 inches and I had to sell it to a local fish store because he wouldn't fit, and at that time I didn't really know my fish and the fish store failed to warn me also.
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

There are a lot of upset pleco fans looking at that picture.

But as hobbyists that often keep highly invasive species of flora and fauna, it is up to us to properly dispose of any and all unwanted plants and animals. Even if it means euthanizing an animal, its better than letting it go into the wild and invading other natural inhabitants' ecosystems.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
I wouldn't say illegal, but there should definitely be more information available to people looking to get into aquariums. Thats the main issue I see every time I visit the pet store is just plain misinformation and lack of involvment by store employees. Employees should ask peoples intentions with the hope that they can help them properly set up an aquarium and pick proper inhabitants, instead of just trying to make profits off any dummy that walks in.
there is plenty of information out there. ignorance on the part of the customer is forgivable, but not for the employee.

while i'm more "less government", i am pro government when it comes to protecting the environment from us. the common pleco should be illegal to sell. or at the very least require proof of proper housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
There are a lot of upset pleco fans looking at that picture.

But as hobbyists that often keep highly invasive species of flora and fauna, it is up to us to properly dispose of any and all unwanted plants and animals. Even if it means euthanizing an animal, its better than letting it go into the wild and invading other natural inhabitants' ecosystems.
it definitely is up to us. perhaps we should start developing an infographic to pass out to LFS's
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
BarbH
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Re: Don't Release Your Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsons2k View Post
This I completely agree with. This is a problem that I see common with most of your typical box stores. Every once in awhile you will get an employee that will know what they are talking about and ask the questions that need to be asked, but overall it seems like you get people that are working the fish areas that have very little knowledge of what it takes to keep fish.

Yes people should take the time to research what it takes to keep an aquarium planted or not, but not everyone is going to. I have been a part of other forums in which the first post you see someone make is they just setup an aquarium and their fish are dying, or they are having issues with compatibility. Some of these issues could be avoided if the store that was selling these fish to people would take the time to educate their employees and in turn to educate their customers.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
BarbH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
there is plenty of information out there. ignorance on the part of the customer is forgivable, but not for the employee.

while i'm more "less government", i am pro government when it comes to protecting the environment from us. the common pleco should be illegal to sell. or at the very least require proof of proper housing.

it definitely is up to us. perhaps we should start developing an infographic to pass out to LFS's
Good luck with that. I've seen people try to do this many times and it never works. Big corporations just don't care, and unfortunately the local mom and pop places can't keep up with chain stores without using the same selling practices. If you question people too much they will take their business elsewhere. Not everyone buying aquariums are responsible people that WANT to learn.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:

Unfortunately, most LFS are just like any business in today's America, they're in to make money. If some dummy wants to buy a fish that don't' fit, they don't care, they're still making the money.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've had a couple interesting conversations with chain store employees and managers on this topic. While I don't agree, I can somewhat understand how they would see the following arguement as valid given their endless experience with the death-camp conditions that are the norm for many of their consumer's aquatic efforts:

The vast majority of fish will die from improper handling and neglect; that the consumer would buy such an inappropriate fish is pretty much proof that they're unlikely to be able to maintain it long enough for it to reach a problematic size.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Clemsons2k
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
I've had a couple interesting conversations with chain store employees and managers on this topic. While I don't agree, I can somewhat understand how they would see the following arguement as valid given their endless experience with the death-camp conditions that are the norm for many of their consumer's aquatic efforts:

The vast majority of fish will die from improper handling and neglect; that the consumer would buy such an inappropriate fish is pretty much proof that they're unlikely to be able to maintain it long enough for it to reach a problematic size.
Thats a very ignorant stance on their part. Just because a fish is "probably going to die" doesn't mean they shouldn't care.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.