(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)??? - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #121
rbtmccord
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

Yep about $12 on average. 4x12 = $48 or about $4 per month.
Difference between the same output maxspect a difference of about $200 at $4 per month tube cost gets me about 50 months of light bulbs. There is and should be a savings with LED and in many ways I really like them. But I get more light for my buck right now with T5HO units it seems.
Plus a bit more versatility spectrum wise by going with the T5's rather thank buying a SW specific or FW specific LED fixture. I feel the T5 fixture gives me more options over time. It is hard to dumb down an LED unit that is set to deliver 16K of light spectrum to 6700k for FW. They also are more into the blue spectrum than the pink that FW like.
I am not arguing with you I am just saying from my modest amount fo research and cost comparison I feel I would be getting more flexibility with that T5HO system today.
rbtmccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #122
rah-bop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

My tank is a 30"x19"x12" 29 gallon. At most the light would be about 18" from the substrate.

I'm looking for an economical option that will grow plants and doesn't look awful. Since the SAT is a little cheaper than the SAT+ (and has more white LEDs? what?) I was wondering if I could get away with using one SAT and supplementing the color with the SAT+. I'm not opposed to using T5HOs as long as they are economical in the long run (10+ years). Also, I'm not planning on growing anything crazy so I'm fine with only medium light.

I thought maybe just a single Finnex Ray 2 would work except a) I'm not running CO2* and I've heard the Ray2 is pretty strong (?) and b) I'm planning on some pretty tall hardscape elements and I'm worried about casting giant shadows all over the tank. I was thinking maybe one light in the front and one in the back might work. But, golly, I am open to some other suggestions. I'm not 100% sold on anything, I'm just trying to find the best option for my situation.

*yet... the next big thing to worry about oh god, this hobby. please send help
Old 05-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #123
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Default Re: (New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

We all love nature right, creating balanced eco systems? That's why most of us like planted aquariums? Yes? What about our own eco system and not having to toss mercury filled T5's in the landfills annually? Just playing devils advocate... Lol There's more than a monetary component here. But as consumers, the money aspect is more visible. I like the direction LEDs are headed in terms of offering more full spectrum options. I acknowledge, cost still needs to drop as the technology evolves. Putting aside the "green movement" in lowering our carbon footprint, i personally like not having to buy new bulbs, or dealing with lighting that gets too hot and raises my water temp in the summer, or just the added power consumption in general. Lord knows i already have a MTS problem, so all these little tanks add up on the power bill. Guess that's not that much of an issue if you have a single tank or if you have Oprah money...lol
Old 05-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #124
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Default Re: (New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-bop View Post
My tank is a 30"x19"x12" 29 gallon. At most the light would be about 18" from the substrate.

I'm looking for an economical option that will grow plants and doesn't look awful. Since the SAT is a little cheaper than the SAT+ (and has more white LEDs? what?) I was wondering if I could get away with using one SAT and supplementing the color with the SAT+. I'm not opposed to using T5HOs as long as they are economical in the long run (10+ years). Also, I'm not planning on growing anything crazy so I'm fine with only medium light.

I thought maybe just a single Finnex Ray 2 would work except a) I'm not running CO2* and I've heard the Ray2 is pretty strong (?) and b) I'm planning on some pretty tall hardscape elements and I'm worried about casting giant shadows all over the tank. I was thinking maybe one light in the front and one in the back might work. But, golly, I am open to some other suggestions. I'm not 100% sold on anything, I'm just trying to find the best option for my situation.

I honestly think you'll be happier with the initial investment of two Sat+. Color will look better. And, as mentioned earlier, a single remote will operate both fixtures in unison.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #125
rah-bop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I agree, if there's a solution that is better for the environment and uses less electricity, that would be the best. I would be happy to spend more for such an option. Thank you for bringing this up.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #126
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Maybe waiting a few more months would be a wiser choice, I mean, Current USA said these fixtures were for the effect. It didn't really have planted tanks in mind.

Rumor has it that they're coming out with a new planted version of these fixtures, right Brian?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #127
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Yes... that's the rumor. Well, it has been confirmed. They just didn't give me the juicy details.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #128
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

First - ignore "watts per gallon" - that's not applicable to anything beyond old T12/T8 and even then, it's a crapshoot.

At 18" from the substrate, you'd have low light with the + fixture. Adding a second fixture may not increase PAR but could definitely increase spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-bop View Post

somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #129
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryoku View Post
If I go with this fixture I would get at least two, maybe three as Current suggested 3-4 for my tank. Might hang my Radion (Gen2) over my FW tank one night this week to test coverage.

Current told me this fixture covers "roughly 6-8 inches both ways", which I imagine is why they suggest 3-4 fixtures for my tank.
that's what I thought. I priced 4 out at just over $500, which is a little more than I'd like to spend. It also seems that it would completely cover the top of the tank, which would be a mess for maintenance, unless something was fabricated to raise them all.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #130
Seiryoku
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Seiryoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
that's what I thought. I priced 4 out at just over $500, which is a little more than I'd like to spend. It also seems that it would completely cover the top of the tank, which would be a mess for maintenance, unless something was fabricated to raise them all.
It would also, in my opinion, ruin the clean look of my rimless aquarium. Currently hanging the two Kessils with a Radion hanging kit, which allows for easy raising/lowering of the fixtures.

Should probably wait for Current to come out with the plant fixture before buying new lighting, but I really don't like the Kessils fan noise...
Old 05-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #131
syzygy9
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I just ordered 1 of these for my 36G Bow. It will be ~18.5" from the substrate which should give me low light. I'm estimating PAR in the low to mid 20's based on the numbers provided by Current.

ATM I'm using a Ray2 with CO2, but I bought the wrong regulator and it's been such a battle to maintain proper balance. In the end the tanks was supposed to be for the kids to have fish. I'm hoping with this fixture I can still keep some plants, have fish, and be able to have the lights on for 10-12hrs instead of the 7 hrs that seemed to be the max with the Ray2.

It should arrive by Tuesday of next week. If all goes well, my 6mo old Ray2 will be listed in the SnS.
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #132
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice choice - I have to say, the kids LOVE this light, haha! Remote control madness! I just ask them during the natural daytime to leave it alone, on full spectrum. When the sun sets though, out come the thunderstorm LEDs! About 9 hours of total time on a day, with pressurized CO2, plants growing nicely in a 20 high in low to medium low light.
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #133
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryoku View Post
It would also, in my opinion, ruin the clean look of my rimless aquarium. Currently hanging the two Kessils with a Radion hanging kit, which allows for easy raising/lowering of the fixtures.

Should probably wait for Current to come out with the plant fixture before buying new lighting, but I really don't like the Kessils fan noise...
that isnt so much a problem for me as my tank is built in a wall w/ plenty of maintenance area. I'd just rather spend around $400 for a single LED fixture that is guaranteed to produce the proper output of light for plant growth, while taking up relatively little space, instead of $500 on 4 lights that will completely cover the top of the tank and maybe produce enough light.

the effects are downright cool though, and could make for some really "natural" displays. I was contemplating how difficult it would be to have a circuit + program to copy the IR signals from the remote in order to programatically control the effects. One could quite easily grab a feed from a weather service and run the lightning effects when there was a real lightning storm outside.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #134
cosm3
Algae Grower

If you have a Harmony remote you can copy the IR signals. I purchased this light yesterday but will be returning it. If I hang it over the tank, I cant see the fish below. While directly on top of the tank its great. The effects are good as well.
cosm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #135
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Agreed with above btw - right on the top it'll reach down to give you low light/med low in a 20 high tank. from what cosm says, if you hang it, it just won't get you enough light.
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote