(New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)??? - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #106
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy9 View Post
Do you know if the PAR values provided by Current were taken thru air or water?

I ask because they provided PAR values of 36 @ 12" and 21 @ 24" (i'm assuming for a 24" fixture).

Finnex specs for the 24" Fugeray are 45 @ 12" but only 13 @ 24".

It would seem that it is less powerful that the Fugeray in shallow applications, but stronger for deeper set-ups. That doesn't seem possible so that is why I'm wondering if Current took their readings thru air instead of water.
I messaged Current regarding this. They confirmed it was taken through "clear water" from the 24" version.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #107
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

For the record, in a week, my Ludwigia have colored up a bit and the stems grew up to the surface very quickly. Of course, this is also due to adding pressurized CO2 and dry ferts, but the new lights couldn't have hurt either.
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #108
rbtmccord
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Mounting question

Does the wire pull out adjustable tank mounts provide a solid sure grip on the sides of the tank. What I mean are they firm enough that they don't need constant adjusting to the tanks sides each time you have to move it or remove it.
rbtmccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #109
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

i just got my 24-36in mode for my 20L

this light seems perfect for 12in tall tanks

will post some pics later
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #110
Seiryoku
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Seiryoku

Guess I'll just have to order one and try it out over my tank
Old 05-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #111
owens81jw
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryoku View Post

what size tank u have?
owens81jw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #112
backtoblue
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtmccord View Post
Does the wire pull out adjustable tank mounts provide a solid sure grip on the sides of the tank. What I mean are they firm enough that they don't need constant adjusting to the tanks sides each time you have to move it or remove it.
No, you will need to readjust the arms when you move or remove it. It doesn't have a mechanism to secure the arms into position, other than friction from the arm's housing itself.

That being said, when the light is in place and not being moved I've never had an issue with the arms pulling out on their own. They've always stayed just how I've positioned them.
backtoblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #113
Seiryoku
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by owens81jw View Post
what size tank u have?
Quoting myself due to laziness!
Quote:
I'm looking for a lighting option on my 36x24x20 rimless aquarium, will have CO2 (once I get around to finishing the reactor) and ferts. Currently have two Amazon Sun Kessils over it that I'm not liking. The two options I've come up with so far are a Radion or the new Satellite+ fixtures. I'll want the fixture(s) to be hung over the tank so the extra height from the substrate would have to be taken into account.

Have a Radion over my SW tank and love it and know it can be set to proper FW spectrum, but coverage on a 36" tank is an issue and can't afford two. Only information I have on the Satellite+ fixtures is what has been posted here...

What do you all think? Emailed Current about coverage and what not and they recommend 3-4 fixtures for "high" light.

Appreciate any and all input, thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #114
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
please let us know how it does. are you planning on buying more than one?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #115
Seiryoku
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
please let us know how it does. are you planning on buying more than one?
If I go with this fixture I would get at least two, maybe three as Current suggested 3-4 for my tank. Might hang my Radion (Gen2) over my FW tank one night this week to test coverage.

Current told me this fixture covers "roughly 6-8 inches both ways", which I imagine is why they suggest 3-4 fixtures for my tank.

Last edited by Seiryoku; 05-21-2013 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Additional Information
Seiryoku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #116
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

I never heard of a Radion (Gen2) until now. Just looked it up... man that thing looks like a beast with a nice price tag to boot At least its full spectrum.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #117
Seiryoku
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
I never heard of a Radion (Gen2) until now. Just looked it up... man that thing looks like a beast with a nice price tag to boot At least its full spectrum.
Best purchase I've ever made for my saltwater tank! Sadly I don't think I can squeeze the coverage out of one for a 36" tank Stubborn though, which is why I'll probably hang it over the freshwater tank to see for my self.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #118
rah-bop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Does anyone have any information about how the SAT+ compares with the regular SAT in terms of PAR?

I'm aiming for medium light. My tank is about 18" deep and it seems like (from what everyone is saying a saying) a single SAT+ may not be bright enough to cut it. Essentially what I'm wondering is: would I need two SATs, two SAT+, or one of each?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 AM   #119
rbtmccord
Algae Grower

Default Question

What size tank is it? How many gallons?

For med you need between 2 - 3 watts per gallon. Now I am not that knowledgeable regarding LED vs fluorescent or T5HO Flourescent but I was seriously considering the Sat+ in fact 2 of them but my tank is only 13 gallons in the display area so two of those fixtures would give me med light I would imagine. My tank is only 13" deep and after a couple inches of substrate is is more like 10.5". So I would think that it would work for me. Further if you are going to go that route I would go Sat+ and have 2 of them on there as they can both work in unison off same remote.
Now I think I am going to go with the AquaticLife 4 bulb T5HO unit with 96 watts of 4x24 T5HO bulbs and built in timer and moonlights. I figure I have many options with that light should I ever want to go SW, FOSW, Reef, Planted FW (like I am now) etc. I am going to initially set it up with 2 6700K 1 Pink and perhaps leave 1 10K in there. It has a built in timer with 3 separate grouping for individual on/off times. If I find that 2X24 watt lights are all I need then I can run one group or, run one group for a half ( the 10-12 hour) shift and then the 2nd for the remaining shift (5 or 6 hours) and then let the lunar lights come on for the night. Or just set one group to not come on or only come on for a minute or two and basically just use 1/2 the power or if I find I need all the 96 watts they are there. Beauty of this is good strong lite, built in digital times, only 1 power cord not several, allot of T5HO lights out there. Well built unit. A comparable LED fixture like the Maxspect would cost nearly double. Also these run pretty economically. Calculator said about 3.50 month.

That is just my two cents worth but I think it is a pretty strong arguement for the T5HO's. Par with this set up is not going to be an issue. Plenty there for anything on this tank. Tank is 24x12x13" 16 gallon tank from Innovative Marine.

If I get the Sat+ and later decide I think I want to try my hand at a reef tank I will be out looking for another light. More money.

Also the AquaticLife 4 tube T5HO unit is the same price as 2 Sat+ units. At Least the 24" ones are. Also you then have to2 units sitting on the tank. This unit will more or less cover the entire display surface of my tank from end to end and front to back.

Correct me please if I am wrong.

Bob
rbtmccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #120
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: (New) Current Satellite Freshwater LED+ Fixture (6500K/RGB)???

Bob check the price of bulbs for the t5 they need to be replaced every 8-12 month's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.